Speaker talk

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: Speaker talk

Post by hamo »

I don't even know what speakers are in my cab, but I love it.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:I don't even know what speakers are in my cab, but I love it.
honestly probably the best way to be :thumbup: ... things only go pear shaped when gearfests role around :rofl: (well thats what I have found, so I try not to plug my head into any other cabs :D )
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Polar Bear wrote:
TmcB wrote:In Vox I favour two golds or a gold plus a g12h30.
In Marshalls I like Green/Creambacks or G12H30's
In Fenders the GA-SC64 is incredible.
What do you know about speakers?

Also, blue trumps gold in a real Vox.
I think that for the Vox tone that works everywhere for everyone I can't deny that blues are completely awesome. I'll qualify my Gold choice by saying they have a little more low end and slightly less treble so they work for my tastes.

Also, it's not fair because your Vox has magical toan spells all over it so can't be used as a comparison.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Got an Eminence Red Fang in a Marshall 18 clone. Sweetas. Been there since day one and will continue to stay there. Just been mucking with the Blues deVille to which have been recently fitted a ToneTubby hemp cone neo and a Jensen P12 alnico. Bloody beautifull Barry !
Picked up a Marshall 4x12 slant a week or 2 back for a good price. Looks to be quite old. Pulled the back off it to reveal....... no Celestions but NZ made Plessys. Dated to 1973. They sound ok too. Will A/B them with my celestion loaded 1960 slant one day. Too many amps not enough time. Less work more play.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

TmcB wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:
TmcB wrote:In Vox I favour two golds or a gold plus a g12h30.
In Marshalls I like Green/Creambacks or G12H30's
In Fenders the GA-SC64 is incredible.
What do you know about speakers?

Also, blue trumps gold in a real Vox.
I think that for the Vox tone that works everywhere for everyone I can't deny that blues are completely awesome. I'll qualify my Gold choice by saying they have a little more low end and slightly less treble so they work for my tastes.

Also, it's not fair because your Vox has magical toan spells all over it so can't be used as a comparison.
Agree on all points.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Timoes wrote:Got an Eminence Red Fang in a Marshall 18 clone. Sweetas. Been there since day one and will continue to stay there. Just been mucking with the Blues deVille to which have been recently fitted a ToneTubby hemp cone neo and a Jensen P12 alnico. Bloody beautifull Barry !
Picked up a Marshall 4x12 slant a week or 2 back for a good price. Looks to be quite old. Pulled the back off it to reveal....... no Celestions but NZ made Plessys. Dated to 1973. They sound ok too. Will A/B them with my celestion loaded 1960 slant one day. Too many amps not enough time. Less work more play.
The Eminence Red Fang, with updated rating to 50watts, is a great speaker. One of the best at articulating crunchy Marshall tones. I have one in a 1974CX and it always sounds so massive. Good cabs too. I could use another (not really...but I like 'em).
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Tonight I played my BTR23 and recently I've had it through the big 65Amps 2x12. I've had to wind the preamp vol to get my desired break up. Tonight I used the excellent Red Fang in the Marshall 1974CX and was surprised at how much less preamp volume I needed because it was being squeezed through a single 12".

Something to add to the mix!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

oh god that site! literally the worst looking site I've seen for a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time :( My eyes are still hurting and I clicked on the link hours ago :(

Argh.... <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0"> sweet baby jeebus :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Bg wrote:
oh god that site! literally the worst looking site I've seen for a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time :( My eyes are still hurting and I clicked on the link hours ago :(

Argh.... <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0"> sweet baby jeebus :(
Have you seen the Space Jam website? It's still the original one from 1996:

https://www.warnerbros.com/archive/spac ... ie/jam.htm