Speaker talk

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Speaker talk

Post by GrantB »

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products ... d%3DJensen

I find myself always looking at the same type of speakers. AlNiCo or maybe a Green or Cream back.

These Neo's have caught my eye and sound great (the Neo range I've heard). Jensen...good range it seems. I'm gonna try one.

I'm a vintage amp sound person (but I prefer new built amps). Hence the AlNiCo rut.

What are you guys finding works for you?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Speaker talk

Post by Molly »

The Blue I'm now running the Two Rock into has completely transformed that amp. Just love it.

As I've got a Vox 212 cab I replaced one of the Blues with an Anniversary G12 but I don't like the mix.... Going to look at it again. Anyway, the Blue that came out of the Vox cab has gone into the Two Rock 112 cab and the WGS has gone on the shelf.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Blues or celestion hot 100s.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have a pair of 80's celestion G12 85's that sound magnificent with my high gain EVH. The whole speaker thing kills me because I have tried stuff that on paper I should love (creamback/ greenbacks etc) but nothing compares to the 85's (could be an age thing) and then things I usually don't like (V30 i'm looking at you) sounded great in stratmatts mesa cab....so yeah I hate speakers :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Alnico Blue gets top marks, Gold less so ( bit bright) looking forward to checking out a Creamback ( Grant were still waiting ). Ev12L for all round ceramic duties .
Very fond of Anni H's for low volume but use H75's for the power handling. Not crazy about Greenback/Creamback M's, bit mid fizzy but quite like Scumback J's which are an M/H hybrid. Still attached to the Fane Axa Alnico. The caveat on all these items though is that their performance is amp dependant .
Mesa Celestion C90's with bass cones are also very cool for big ass cleans.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

For classic sounds up to 70's, I love me some jensen alnico, weber too. From there onwards I want greenbacks. If I want higher power, then its a mix of greenies and 75's or even vintage 30's.
It's just whats worked for me, I've tried all these combos with vintage 30's as well, which work well with the greenbacks.

However, the disclaimer is I'm officially deaf as a post, and have no upper mids left in my hearing :0
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Eminence

/end thread

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Hmm I've liked my Golds better than every Blue I've ever had. However I've never bought a Gold new, so perhaps that's the trick - despite the advertising they do need a good run in before the magic happens. As do blues.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

willow13 wrote:I have a pair of 80's celestion G12 85's that sound magnificent with my high gain EVH. The whole speaker thing kills me because I have tried stuff that on paper I should love (creamback/ greenbacks etc) but nothing compares to the 85's (could be an age thing) and then things I usually don't like (V30 i'm looking at you) sounded great in stratmatts mesa cab....so yeah I hate speakers :rofl:
When I had that Splawn I tried various speakers in it and the clear winner was cheap 75w Celestion (can't recall the model name exactly). Just suited that amp.

Steve, was looking for something else and found this: http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7270 Shows your Splawn cab.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Eminence wizard / g12h30 paired with a v30,. Job done!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
willow13 wrote:I have a pair of 80's celestion G12 85's that sound magnificent with my high gain EVH. The whole speaker thing kills me because I have tried stuff that on paper I should love (creamback/ greenbacks etc) but nothing compares to the 85's (could be an age thing) and then things I usually don't like (V30 i'm looking at you) sounded great in stratmatts mesa cab....so yeah I hate speakers :rofl:
When I had that Splawn I tried various speakers in it and the clear winner was cheap 75w Celestion (can't recall the model name exactly). Just suited that amp.

Steve, was looking for something else and found this: http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7270 Shows your Splawn cab.
Nothing wrong with the humble 75, been in many a marshall stack over the years, I'm still running two, even though I've repaired them with bog roll and silicon lol...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

The 2 Dv mark cabs I have are loaded with these
http://www.markstore.it/dvmark/neo-clas ... imium.html
Nice clarity and punchy even in openback
:)
:mental:

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

In Vox I favour two golds or a gold plus a g12h30.
In Marshalls I like Green/Creambacks or G12H30's
In Fenders the GA-SC64 is incredible.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

TmcB wrote:In Vox I favour two golds or a gold plus a g12h30.
What do you know about speakers?

Also, blue trumps gold in a real Vox.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

TmcB wrote:In Vox I favour two golds or a gold plus a g12h30.
This is a good way to look at it. The amp in use has a bearing on speaker choice, because different amps have their own frequency curve. Therefore they need a speaker that filters best for that.

I used to just think as a speaker as the noise producing part. Since using cab sims and hearing how nasty things sound with it turned off, I came to understand how the speaker filters out that stuff you would rather not hear.