Amps of note in this forum's history

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: Amps of note in this forum's history

Post by godgrinder »

willow13 wrote:he just wants to know if any other amp (or other gear) got a huge buzz going and many on here purchased said item
There's a reason why ZT and Katana were basically the only ones haha, because they are relatively cheap and have proper distributors here.

I remember there were a few weeks last year when Wizard amps were all the rage on Rig-Talk, there must've been half a dozen WIzard NAD threads. And these were US$4000 amps.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Kris wrote:
codedog wrote:Has anyone in ChCh got a ZT lunchbox?
i had one for a bit-i'd say they were utilitarian at best.Speaker was loud enough to jam with but pretty pants,and the fact it had a speaker meant it was a little too big to be at its most practical(under a pedal train to my way of thinking)
Sounds much better driving my THD 2x12.

And there's been a flurry of AC15s if I remember correctly?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

jimi wrote:Greenstone Bellbirds

Aside from individual amps that have done the rounds, the only stuff that really gets picked up by a bunch of people at once is the cheap stuff, and ZT lunchbox aside, there havent been that many exciting cheap amps.
I dunno man, I feel like there was a spate of Mk V boogies all at once, and they sure weren't cheap.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Huh... fancy that... so it's not just the cheap and cheerful that trigger buying sprees. A Mark V buying spree? So much for a downturn in the economy...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:Slowy, oh yeah...That was the biz!
Had this hunch that 6V6 might be the way to go.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Slowy wrote:There was that much tweaked Marshall combo that Danny had. Then it went to Saucey. Didn't you get it back again Danny?
Sauce was always on the verge of selling his 50w Marshall combo. He said the Marshall was too loud for church. He said he wanted something that sounded a bit different. He was in a pickle about whether it was his sound. He sold it once, then bought it back. I really needed a Marshall, and I begged Sauce to sell it to me. He said he might sell if he could get an AC15. A mate lined a deal on an AC 15 up for me, in Hamilton. Then Sauce decided he didn't want an AC15 after all, so I backed out of the deal in Hamilton. Then I upped the amount I would pay Sauce. That only seemed to make him less interested in selling. If I wanted it so bad, then that made him want it more. Weeks of offers and coy responses followed. It was like hunting a nervous animal. In the end a Marshall plexi head turned up on TM for 1000 notes and I left Sauce in peace. Sure enough shortly afterwards Sauce actually did sell it.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Kemper was a big thing. People that got em were all Hoochie Coochie Man

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

hamo wrote:

Aside from individual amps that have done the rounds, the only stuff that really gets picked up by a bunch of people at once is the cheap stuff, and ZT lunchbox aside, there havent been that many exciting cheap amps.
I dunno man, I feel like there was a spate of Mk V boogies all at once, and they sure weren't cheap.

Yup there was a whole lotta that boogie on here at one point.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Surely these have to win the keeping it in the family award, being that they were created and built by a forum member.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

godgrinder wrote:
There's a reason why ZT and Katana were basically the only ones haha, because they are relatively cheap and have proper distributors here.
yep ... I remember also when Randall release the fortin stuff the buzz was pretty big to (for the metal heads here anyway)..but unlike Boss etc the marketing and distro was appalling so they basically feel flat (I would still totally buy one though)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

It's great that gear can do the rounds here with a sense that stuff is going to a good home within a home so to speak and then like a boomerang could do full circle.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

MrDINO wrote:It's great that gear can do the rounds here with a sense that stuff is going to a good home within a home so to speak and then like a boomerang could do full circle.
It really is. Also I think having a community of GCs makes the whole process less scary than buying something from Random Facebook Guy (although so far I've been lucky with FB transactions).
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

hamo wrote:
MrDINO wrote:It's great that gear can do the rounds here with a sense that stuff is going to a good home within a home so to speak and then like a boomerang could do full circle.
It really is. Also I think having a community of GCs makes the whole process less scary than buying something from Random Facebook Guy (although so far I've been lucky with FB transactions).
The other nice thing is no one gives a second thought to the cycle of gear uploads and downloads

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

werdna wrote:
Slowy wrote:There was that much tweaked Marshall combo that Danny had. Then it went to Saucey. Didn't you get it back again Danny?
Sauce was always on the verge of selling his 50w Marshall combo. He said the Marshall was too loud for church. He said he wanted something that sounded a bit different. He was in a pickle about whether it was his sound. He sold it once, then bought it back. I really needed a Marshall, and I begged Sauce to sell it to me. He said he might sell if he could get an AC15. A mate lined a deal on an AC 15 up for me, in Hamilton. Then Sauce decided he didn't want an AC15 after all, so I backed out of the deal in Hamilton. Then I upped the amount I would pay Sauce. That only seemed to make him less interested in selling. If I wanted it so bad, then that made him want it more. Weeks of offers and coy responses followed. It was like hunting a nervous animal. In the end a Marshall plexi head turned up on TM for 1000 notes and I left Sauce in peace. Sure enough shortly afterwards Sauce actually did sell it.
Yeap - happily back with me :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

An amp type that has has a fair bit of discussion here is the Clone. Ceriatone, Trinity, Mojotone, etc. Most builders seemed pretty happy with the results?