NAD!! Gave the Katana the Chop!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: NAD!! Gave the Katana the Chop!

Post by Aquila Rossa »

May as well go all Pete Thorn and get a Suhr reactive load, or the new Torpedo one that is going to be around $260 USD. Add your fav impulses and away you go. Works for Pete.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

dayl wrote:
Bg wrote:
dayl wrote:
haha yeah. Looked into it a fair bit. The weber appears to do what I need it to. Will see.
It really depends on how much you're looking to attenuate - I had a weber and tbh it killed some of the tone once you started to attenuate more than a notch or two.
Yeah. Not trying to attenuate down to quiet 1-5w bedroom levels. Just need to tame it a bit.
I'd try pushing less air as well, 1x12 instead of a 4x12 would give you less volume. Or less efficient speakers.

All things being equal - to half the volume of a 100 watt amp, you're looking at a 10 watt amp - its a factor of 10. So the difference between 100 watt and 50 watt is 3/5ths of bugger all.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 385 times

Post by dayl »

I had no idea it worked like that....I though 50 was half of 100 so half power. I feel dumb and uneducated.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Aquila Rossa wrote:May as well go all Pete Thorn and get a Suhr reactive load, or the new Torpedo one that is going to be around $260 USD. Add your fav impulses and away you go. Works for Pete.
Yer that.
I run my Marshall through the Pangaea into a load. Sounds good to me and realistically is the only way I can now use my JCM or JMP.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have a Pangaea for sale if anyone is interested :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

From wht Ive read, the webers do pretty well for the price before the move to $1000+ Jobbies

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

dayl wrote:I had no idea it worked like that....I though 50 was half of 100 so half power. I feel dumb and uneducated.
Nah bro you're right, it is half the power... but your ears lie to your brain

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Nah its more the implied 'half the power = half the volume' which is the untrue bit. It is half power. Just not half as loud :P

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

jeremyb wrote:I have a Pangaea for sale if anyone is interested :mrgreen:
I've never owned anything to compare against, but can say it's very easy to use and sounds cool. Also, they are freakin small.

I'd buy it if I didn't have one already :D
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

dayl wrote:I had no idea it worked like that....I though 50 was half of 100 so half power. I feel dumb and uneducated.
Audio is non linear and the human ear is very much so, your ears are designed to normalise volume levels
3db is half or double the power depending on whether your lowering or increasing,

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

actually as far as I remember, hearing is very non-linear, hence its best to use log pots for volume. And why we perceive a 3db difference to be half or double the volume.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

kwhelan wrote:
Audio is non linear and the human ear is very much so, your ears are designed to normalise volume levels
3db is half or double the power depending on whether your lowering or increasing,
Ear will attenuate sound too, or so it seems to me. it's something I noticed after living next to the Windsor to Detroit rail tunnel. Huge freight trains all hour sounded like rolling thunder at first, but after a while did not notice them so much. Once i realized my hearing was filtering the sound, I tried to concentrate on it to see if it would appear as loud as when i first moved in. Nope. Brain had decided it was a sound I was not going to hear loudly.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

yep its amazing what you can get used too, makes long mixing sessions hard to be compariitve ,your brain will listen for quiet sounds and amplify them up in a loud mix if you know they are there and are listening for them, ears can't be trusted especially when alcohol is involved
womens hearing is a lot stronger in high frequencies because of need to hear crying babies which is why when you walk into a pub they go off if the band is too loud, it actually is for their frequent response,

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Man... Im dumb.... so I finally got around to opening up the box for the channel switch pedal.... there was the power cord :lol: :lol: :lol:

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

chur wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:May as well go all Pete Thorn and get a Suhr reactive load, or the new Torpedo one that is going to be around $260 USD. Add your fav impulses and away you go. Works for Pete.
Yer that.
I run my Marshall through the Pangaea into a load. Sounds good to me and realistically is the only way I can now use my JCM or JMP.
Have you tried running your amp into an Attenuator with a DI, re-amping the DI with another poweramp, and going into a speakerbox. I found that it worked a bit better for me doing this, rather than going into the Torpedo Live, and out to a FFFR Speaker.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.