Speaker search : Laney VC30 1x12 combo

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Speaker search : Laney VC30 1x12 combo

Post by jeremyb »

Why not let the speaker and tubes settle in for a while first? I know theres no fun in that, but you might be pleasantly surprised :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

The speaker upgrade will be noticeable, The HH isn't terrible but I find them a bit scooped and thin sounding. Changing the tubes will be pretty subtle I expect. Long plates in a combo have tendency to become microphonic.

The Fane works well at low volumes, you don't have to crank it to get great tones. If it was 16ohm it would be in my 2x12 and not for sale at all :winky:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Earlier versions of this amp seem to have Celestion Seventy 80, so maybe that is a good match for this amp?

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

yeah, by good match I meant Laney must have thought it was one. That could be because it had a frequency response that filters in a way that suits the OT's output, or it could be because they picked up a whole bunch of Seventy 80s for cheap :D

Do you have access to a Torpedo Live or a load box you can use to run the amp to DAW? If so, running cab impulses could give you a ball park idea of what works well, even if variables like cab construction and that those sounds include the mic will not quite be spot on.

When Ryan had his shop, people could just go there and try a bunch of speakers until they found the one that suits their amp and ears best. Handy service that was.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I owned a VC30 for many years - it was a British made version and my main gigging amp for a long time. I changed the HH speakers out for a pair of Celestion Blues. Those gave it a voice, whereas the HH was kinda neutral, lacking in character. The amp by nature is a little sterile. Those might be out of the budget range though, so I would look for maybe a Weber 12" AlNiCo Signature (don't waste your money on their Silver and Blue Bells).

Or, Eminence have some good options and Eric's Guitar & PA on eBay is a good seller (Aus based). He gave me a great deal on my last purchase, refunding the AUD GST off the price to make the NZD GST more palatable.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Thomann are a great source for eminence too, I bought a wizard off them, shipping is about $80 nz, but the speakers are generally quite cheap and sound amazing, and that shipping fee is flat rate so you can throw in some toobs at the same time, I got some tung-sols from them because no one else had them locally :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

You can get Eminence in NZ too from live sound.co.nz
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

I have an unused, still in the box Eminence Red, White & Blues (8ohm) if you're interested. Been meaning to flog it on TM, but haven't got around to it yet. It's 120W handling, but I don't think it matters much since my Texas Heat is 150W and it sounds great with low-watt amps (EL84s and 6V6s).

zedhed71
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 11 times

Post by zedhed71 »

RectifiedAmps wrote:I have an unused, still in the box Eminence Red, White & Blues (8ohm) if you're interested. Been meaning to flog it on TM, but haven't got around to it yet. It's 120W handling, but I don't think it matters much since my Texas Heat is 150W and it sounds great with low-watt amps (EL84s and 6V6s).
How much do you want for the RWB?

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

zedhed71 wrote:
RectifiedAmps wrote:I have an unused, still in the box Eminence Red, White & Blues (8ohm) if you're interested. Been meaning to flog it on TM, but haven't got around to it yet. It's 120W handling, but I don't think it matters much since my Texas Heat is 150W and it sounds great with low-watt amps (EL84s and 6V6s).
It owes me $135, so I'd say $140 including shipping..?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Back to the OP, the Celesion Gold would handle it easy. They're 50w handling, more than any 30w amp will throw at them. And they sound fantastic, I have 5 at the moment spread through various things.

zedhed71
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 11 times

Post by zedhed71 »

RectifiedAmps wrote:
zedhed71 wrote:
It owes me $135, so I'd say $140 including shipping..?
pmd

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Yep, I did like my Vc30! Super reliable too!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

You sure? No acoustics on the radar?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz