NAD: MESA TC-50 Head

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

NAD: MESA TC-50 Head

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Wanted a combo, was looking at Lone Stars but ...
IMG_1257.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: NAD

Post by Conway »

Mmmm, Triple Crown. The clean channel is probably based on the Lonestar circuit, isn't it? (Like the Mark V)
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Awesome amps. Reminds me of the Stiletto series but slightly tighter in the top end of things, and much nicer looking.

Can I call dibs? haha

Great purchase man.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

That photo is shite lol

Let's see it ya bugger
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

According to Mesa....

this new platform features a bold set of new circuits unlike anything else in our line.

According to me....

It sounds amazingly good and is more like the Electradyne / Royal Atlantic rather than the Mark / Rectifier amps. I haven't had long with it yet though so much more to explore.

The clean channel is really good, better than the RA100 and Mark V imho. All three channels are bright and lively which is unlike most Mesa amps I have owned.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: NAD: MESA TC-50

Post by sizzlingbadger »

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

What made you pick this over the Lone Star? There have been a couple on/off TM recently.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Image

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I love how your solution to having too many amps was to buy another amp! :D

Anything that has a clean as good, or better than the MkV has to be amazing. Good to try different flavours of distortion too. These look really classy.
Loving it so far

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

codedog wrote:What made you pick this over the Lone Star? There have been a couple on/off TM recently.
RS didn't have any in the shop :winky:

I have bee eyeing up the TC but it was out of my price range, until I plugged into it :rofl:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Nice one SB!

I have a Lonestar combo, which I love. curious to know if this is better...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Nice one!

If I was still doing reviews this would be pretty intriguing, I've always loved the Mesa stuff and if you think the clean is better than LS/MkV then you have my attention!

Also... dibs.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

slash-ed wrote:I've always loved the Mesa stuff and if you think the clean is better than LS/MkV then you have my attention!
Me too.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Haven't had the MKV for a while so only going memory, maybe I have forgotten how good the MKV clean was :D

I saw this amp as the next stage in the evolution of the Electradyne / RA100. The Electradyne was a two channel amp with 3 modes (Green / Blue / Red) all sharing the same EQ. Then the RA100 added seperate EQ to the dirty channel (Blue / Red) (but removed presence controls). The TC has seperate EQ for all channels now and presence controls.

The TC is also a very simple amp for a Mesa, no wattage selection, bright/fat switches or triode/pentode switches etc. It has Midi and Cab Clone but the amp circuit itself is pretty free from switching compared to the MKV and RA100 etc.

The clean has a drive switch which puts the clean channel into edge of break up and its brilliant.
The dirty channels have a tight switch that just bumps the mids up a bit and cuts some low end for when you want to that fast chuggy stuff (that I don't/can't do)

There was a MKV Combo and Head in the gold tag sale and I was sorely tempted by them but I wanted simplicity.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Haven't had the MKV for a while so only going memory, maybe I have forgotten how good the MKV clean was :D

I saw this amp as the next stage in the evolution of the Electradyne / RA100. The Electradyne was a two channel amp with 3 modes (Green / Blue / Red) all sharing the same EQ. Then the RA100 added seperate EQ to the dirty channel (Blue / Red) (but removed presence controls). The TC has seperate EQ for all channels now and presence controls.

The TC is also a very simple amp for a Mesa, no wattage selection, bright/fat switches or triode/pentode switches etc. It has Midi and Cab Clone but the amp circuit itself is pretty free from switching compared to the MKV and RA100 etc.

The clean has a drive switch which puts the clean channel into edge of break up and its brilliant.
The dirty channels have a tight switch that just bumps the mids up a bit and cuts some low end for when you want to that fast chuggy stuff (that I don't/can't do)

There was a MKV Combo and Head in the gold tag sale and I was sorely tempted by them but I wanted simplicity.
Can you remember what the price was for the MKV ? Thanks
:mental: