Recommendations for a simple solid state amp in the 30-60W range

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Recommendations for a simple solid state amp in the 30-60W range

Post by sty »

Shimmer wrote:
Bg wrote:boss katana, 50 watt. Not spendy, as complicated as you want it to be i.e. not at all or very. 4 great channels to choose from, don't listen to the luddites who put their faith on out dated valve tech. They just have too much surplus cash and no idea what they actually want/need.
Hah!
In some ways that highlights my point though. If an amp like that is say $400, then a scaled back version without all the modelling should be heaps cheaper! Right?
There's a rule in computing/high tech called Moore's law* that means that a piece of tech halves in price every 18months or doubles in capability every 18 months.

So when building something like a solid state amp a huge amount of the cost goes into the fixed costs like the box, power supply, speaker, graphic design, paint and logos, shipping, and then they just choose a price point where they want to sell it. So the stuff like modelling or built in effects etc. start to get significantly better because of stuff like Moore's Law, and reliable chinese manufacturing.

So I don't think it's a case of expecting a scaled back version for significantly less, it's more a case of they shouldn't be selling cut back models for nearly the same price. Everything could come with built in computer interface, midi etc. for almost no cost apart from user complexity if they wanted.

It's possibly a great time to be a guitarist at the moment :)

*Moore's law is actually about doubling the density of transistors on silicon but that's what it means to us non propheads ;)

(for example you can buy a Raspberry Pi, which is a retail computer board with the same/more power than your mobile phone for $30 and it can plug into your TV through HDMI and has wifi, Mobile phones can run Amplitube/Bias etc. well, and the Pi could - after all it can emulate everything up to PS1/Nintendo GameCube etc.)

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Shimmer wrote:It seems that in solid-state land, it is hard to find an amp that is not laden with effects (modelling or otherwise). Are there any 'simple' amps in the 35-60W range with no effects (or at least only a couple) that aren't crazy expensive?
I like the look of the Orange Crush 35RT for example.
You could buy this before I do:
https://preview.trademe.co.nz/marketpla ... 1402733449

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

JHorner wrote:
Shimmer wrote:It seems that in solid-state land, it is hard to find an amp that is not laden with effects (modelling or otherwise). Are there any 'simple' amps in the 35-60W range with no effects (or at least only a couple) that aren't crazy expensive?
That reminds me. Maybe you could try Cash Converters type places. Last time I was in one (to collect a JC120 actually) there were loads of cheap amps.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

I'm in similar decision mode. Tossing up between a THR10 or a Katana. Considering the Roland JC22 or JC40 too - both much simpler than those but a bit more spendy.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

JHorner wrote:
If that's anything like the Peavey Special I have in the garage it'd weigh a frikkin ton!

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

I have one of these for sale

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=33459

Hook it up to tour pc or home stereo it's a winner
:mental:

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Olderama wrote:I have one of these for sale

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=33459

Hook it up to tour pc or home stereo it's a winner
Yes, and at that price you're cutting your own throat. Madness.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

telefiend wrote:I'm in similar decision mode. Tossing up between a THR10 or a Katana. Considering the Roland JC22 or JC40 too - both much simpler than those but a bit more spendy.
Katana all the way, could gig with it if you wanted to! But rules for home use too :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

For what you're looking at spending, personally I'd be hunting for a decent little tube amp.

But if you are set on SS then IMO you can't really go wrong with a Katana. I quite liked the Marshall MG101CFX that I had, you could probably pick one of those up towards the top of your budget.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Katana is a simple amp, it's hard to go wrong with it! Just treat it as a normal amp and don't ever plug it into a pc, it's not needed, the channels are all excellent
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

JHorner wrote:*have to spend another $300 on speakers because those blue marvels will be shiatty
I bought a 112 Peavey cab with a Blue Marvel 40w in it, had a spare speaker that I was going to throw into it. Surprisingly it sounds very good, ended up leaving the BM in :-)

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

dunno why blue marvels gets so much hate,ive all ways found them to be full and erm,"well rounded"/