Acoustic Amplifier

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Acoustic Amplifier

Post by vintage52 »

Who here uses an acoustic amplifier for your acoustic guitar?

What do you use?

How do you find it sound wise?

I'm looking for something to possibly replace mine and want to get the feel of youse fullas.

Cheers.
Wellington

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Re: Acoustic Amplifier

Post by WellyBlues »

I was reading an interview with Lloyd Spiegel (heavy gigging Aussie acoustic Bluesman) and he had this to say:
I saw you at NAMM earlier this year when you were involved in the promotion of the Boss Singer Pro and Singer Live amps. How was that experience for you?
Really good. When they approached me they said we’d like you to do this video for this new amplifier. I said, well I have spent my entire career telling people I don’t like acoustic amplifiers and that acoustic guitars should be plugged straight into a PA. They said, that’s why we want you to do it … we’ve created something here which we think you will really like. So they invited me to Sydney to test it out and filmed me that day and I really loved the product. Getting an acoustic amp that doesn’t sound like the amp and sounds like the guitar is really difficult, so I was really happy to help them out with that and it’s become a really good relationship.

Full interview here: http://www.australianmusician.com.au/ll ... interview/

I really like his Double Live album. He's a Cole Clark user (endorsee maybe?).
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Depends what everyone else is doing, I suppose?

I've played largeish rooms with a powered PA speaker. I think it was one of these

http://www.wharfedalepro.com/product-detail.php?pid=145

but then again, I was supposed to be doing polite background music, not beating everyone into aural submission. And it wasn't a band context. No breakup or anything though so it was a pretty positive experience.

In fact I'm thinking of getting one as my main amp.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I think in general a powered speaker is a better investment, you can use it as an acoustic guitar amp, small PA system, your own foldback for live gigs, outdoor music for your summer BBQs, etc, etc. Only issue is that they usually don't have much in the way of EQ or reverb, so you might have to add a little EQ or preamp. I was faffing about last night with my acoustic into a LR Baggs preamp DI thing into a Proel powered speaker, sounded great.

Actually the Proel Flash powered speakers are pretty damn good and reasonably affordable. I had 6 out for the local rugby game on saturday, they were out in steady rain for 5 hours, tilted up slightly to cover the grandstand and when I took them down I poured a good cup or two of water out of the front grille of each speaker.

We've been treating them like that for year, they don't seem to care.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

bbrunskill wrote:I think in general a powered speaker is a better investment, you can use it as an acoustic guitar amp, small PA system, your own foldback for live gigs, outdoor music for your summer BBQs, etc, etc. Only issue is that they usually don't have much in the way of EQ or reverb, so you might have to add a little EQ or preamp. I was faffing about last night with my acoustic into a LR Baggs preamp DI thing into a Proel powered speaker, sounded great.

Actually the Proel Flash powered speakers are pretty damn good and reasonably affordable. I had 6 out for the local rugby game on saturday, they were out in steady rain for 5 hours, tilted up slightly to cover the grandstand and when I took them down I poured a good cup or two of water out of the front grille of each speaker.

We've been treating them like that for year, they don't seem to care.
I've come to the same conclusion. A small PA setting gives the most flexibility for a whole heap of situations. I've tried several stand-alone acoustic amps though, including:

Various Trace Elliott acoustic amps: these still stand up even though they would be at least 15 years old now... if you can find one. The 100 and 200w versions are especially nice
The Fishman loudbox: very good, probably the best value. But I think the mini is too small
Fender Acoustasonic: all rubbish, though have not tried the new one yet
Marshall acoustic amps: even worse
Roland AC series: pretty good, and very versatile, great range of options.
AER: sublimely good and ridiculously expensive.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

I use an SWR California Blonde. Absolutely fabulous!

It was developed from a Bass amp, so is strong enough for me to use for my bass guitars as well.
It has heaps of connection options & for my solo sessions, I plug in a stage mixer on top to cater for all of the
extras that I use such as a foot stomp box and mp3 player for backing tracks. It can output in stereo or just connect extra speakers
to turn it into a PA system.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

H671 wrote:I use an SWR California Blonde. Absolutely fabulous!

It was developed from a Bass amp, so is strong enough for me to use for my bass guitars as well.
It has heaps of connection options & for my solo sessions, I plug in a stage mixer on top to cater for all of the
extras that I use such as a foot stomp box and mp3 player for backing tracks. It can output in stereo or just connect extra speakers
to turn it into a PA system.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention SWR. Yes, a very good option too, though it is a rather big & heavy box--as you say, good for bass also.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

I have been using a fishman loudbox mini for 18months, up to two months ago, great unit, loud enough for a room of 40 in an acoustic band, cajon, and not drums. it was probably the reason why i bought my maton srs808 when i plugged it in at the store few months prior. the larger unit is proabably a bit better since it tilts back properly so it can be used as a 'monitoring' device.

i've used the multiple inputs on it for vocals and even a kick box. upgraded sound systems, and never had the use for it again.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

..... katana ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Actually, that's another aspect of the guitar world I know next to nothing about... acoustic amplifiers. I have only just discovered what a reasonably decent all-solid acoustic sounds like. Next I need to discover what a semi decent acoustic amp sound like! I tried plugging in my previous acoustic into the katana... it was okay but didn't really sound like a "louder acoustic guitar", if that makes sense. Then I realised I had no idea what to expect...

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by vintage52 »

While looking to replace mine, mate of mine calls up on Friday and asks if I want to go amp shopping on Saturday arvo.

He's got emphysema and is currently using a Fender Accoustasonic which he likes a lot, gets a good tone out of, but the weight has him stuffed physically carrying from car to venue.

We tried the following:

Ibanez T80II which is a wedge type amp with more of a FRFR kind of feel.
Couple of Laney amps
Roland AC60
Boss Acoustic Singer
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Tanglewood T6

One of the cool things doing this was meeting robnobcorncob at Music Planet and having a chat to the dude at Music Works when it came to light I was the guy that scored a couple of TS-808 reissues for $26.00 - It's a small world!!!

Of all the amps we tried, he eventually walked away with the Tanglewood T6.

As codedog said: "it was okay but didn't really sound like a "louder acoustic guitar"" and that was what we were hoping to hear and found in the T6.

A/Bing the Fishman and T6 was interesting with the overall result being the T6 sounded just like the Ovation being played through it only louder.

Was an interesting and fun afternoon.
Wellington

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

vintage52 wrote: He's got emphysema and is currently using a Fender Accoustasonic which he likes a lot, gets a good tone out of, but the weight has him stuffed physically carrying from car to venue.
But late now but... a small handtruck? Or one of those foldable luggage trolleys?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Boss Katana has acoustic preamp.
How do they stack up?

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by vintage52 »

Vince wrote:
vintage52 wrote: He's got emphysema and is currently using a Fender Accoustasonic which he likes a lot, gets a good tone out of, but the weight has him stuffed physically carrying from car to venue.
But late now but... a small handtruck? Or one of those foldable luggage trolleys?
T6 slings over his shoulder and he can currently manage it so all cool.
Wellington

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by vintage52 »

griff7628 wrote:Boss Katana has acoustic preamp.
How do they stack up?
I'm using that on my Katana.

It's not too bad but after reading some reviews, I've also given the clean channel a go for the acoustic and that is quite nice as well.

I do wonder if the acoustic is like the clean with more filtering etc.
Wellington