PPIMV Mod - Any experience of this?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: PPIMV Mod - Any experience of this?

Post by AiRdAd »

From memory the mod is only about 70 Bucks and is completely reversible. When the knob is turned all the way around, the mod is completely out of the circuit. I'm not sure if you are talking about another mod, but you don't lose any control over the presence control.

Most people put them in either the second speaker input, or in one of the four guitar inputs. Alternatively, you can drill into the body, but you probably don't want to do that.

For 70 Bucks, it's a no-brainer. The extra functionality you get is well worth it, and you can cut it from the circuit if need be.

Darth, your one cuts completely from the circuit when turned all the way around.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Yeah, that is how I understood it. But does it still mess with the negative feedback?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Thanks for all the replies.

As it happens that Bluesbreaker takes The Dude overdrive better than anything I've tried it with. There's a case for just sticking with that and not messing with the amp at all. It's whisper quiet too now it's had a fresh compliment of valves. I was expecting a twenty-seven year old amp to be as noisy as ewt.

One question though. When this amp was first made it had 6L6s (the hand-wired one has KT66). Later, due to a supply issue with EL34s, they used something else. As it's having a trip to the tech for a service anyway, and as it's probably due for new power tubes, I guess I could ask for it to be biased for any of the above. What say you chaps?

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Kt66 if you want drive.
6L6 if you don’t.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.