Lorantz Speaker's in NZ any interest?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Lorantz Speaker's in NZ any interest?

Post by Dharmajester »

My amp tech mate is looking at becoming a Lorantz dealer by way of ensuring a supply of speakers ( much needed in his line of work ) here in NZ.
He loaned me a 12" greenback style speaker to evaluate and I'm impressed.
It was supposedly designed to replicate the freq curve of a sweet sounding vintage greenback and certainly to my ears sits in that pocket fairly comfortably.
I didn't have a green back to a/b it with but did compare it to a Creamback M . The Creamback was thicker and chewier but the Lorantz was much clearer, slightly louder and with a touch more top and bottom end. Obviously it wasn't broken in but I'm sure would sound even better with some hours on it.
Anyhow what I'm wondering is if there would be any interest among the membership in these things being available over here. Ta :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Lorantz Speaker's in NZ any interest?

Post by Reg18 »

didnt know they existed! Due to the fact there is no Celestion stock in NZ and Eminence is the only choice if you don’t want to import it couldn’t hurt having another option in NZ.
Looks like they are well priced too!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Never heard of them! Which might make selling them here difficult, going beyond celestion for some punters seems a stretch! :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

How do they compare price wise?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

AiRdAd wrote:How do they compare price wise?
You can check em out here

https://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au ... z-speakers

Prices from 150 to 175 Oz $ over there. Don't know how that would pan out over here as I'm not aware of the levels of stock/investment required, bulk discounts yadda yadda etc.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Be cool to try one out as the price looks ok. I think what people really want is access to Celestion speakers locally.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Be cool to try one out as the price looks ok. I think what people really want is access to Celestion speakers locally.
I'd be reluctant to take a risk importing speakers to inventory , seems like a submarket of a submarket. Especially if they're not well known (not saying that Lorantz is not well known, I've only really heard of the main few).
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I think what people really want is access to Celestion speakers locally.
Unfortunately to become a Celestion dealer you have to stock their whole range including the less popular items. Add to that our dollar rate and import gst and you have a a major investment and accompanying headache. This is why no one is doing it. Most expedient is if you have a relationship with an existing dealer who is willing to tie you in to their order, but they would be overseas so still expensive.
I think this is how Ryan did it with Custom Audio.
Hunter S. Thompson