Tube amp doctors

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

LucyTheSpud
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Tube amp doctors

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Hey all

HT fuse in my JTM has blown. Suspect power tubes or a filter cap (based on previous experience only, not really sure).

Anyone know any good tube amp techs in the Manawatu area? I usually use Brodie at MDR but i think hes away and i want to get my amp up and running again.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Tube amp doctors

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Put a fresh fuse in and try it again. If it blows change the power tubes and try a new fuse again, if blows again go to a tech.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

If the HT fuse blew while you were running the amp hard, it would be the output tubes. Make sure you replace the whole set (with a matched set). Don't just replace 1 tube - that's asking for trouble in a JTM. Check the screen resistors too (although the Welwyn 7Wers are pretty robust and its not normally a problem). If you want output tubes to last in those, don't bias them too hot. Bias them just over 50%. Doesn't matter if you get a crossover notch - you won't hear crossover distortion when its cranked anyway. Modern production EL34s are a beaatch.

If the HT fuse blew on startup, it could be a filter cap problem (but the mains fuse should also blow if there is too much current draw from a failed filter cap)
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

My big tube amp won't work if I plug the pedal board into the front but does when I run it through the effects loop.

Why is this? Cheers.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

foal30 wrote:My big tube amp won't work if I plug the pedal board into the front but does when I run it through the effects loop.

Why is this? Cheers.
Does a guitar direct into the front work?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Yes.

I ask because I assumed pedal boards go through the loop however in the Bass world this isn't the reccomended thing.

It appears in my instance I have no choice lol

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

FX loop has an issue I expect. Depends on the design but some bypass the loop circuitry when nothing is plugged in, so if the circuit has an issue it will work when not in use.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:FX loop has an issue I expect. Depends on the design but some bypass the loop circuitry when nothing is plugged in, so if the circuit has an issue it will work when not in use.
Thanks.

TBF I'm not 100% clear :lol:

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

try a patch lead in the loop in and out
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

mrmofo wrote:try a patch lead in the loop in and out
I had a amp where this was needed sometimes. If it “thinks” there is something in the fx loop but there is nothing, it may bypass the preamp.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

Delayman wrote:
mrmofo wrote:try a patch lead in the loop in and out
I had a amp where this was needed sometimes. If it “thinks” there is something in the fx loop but there is nothing, it may bypass the preamp.
it depends on the amp, my Marshall likes a patch lead now and again. loosens the cobwebs, has a volume control for the loop, I`m not sure if that's a thing or not.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.