The NZG MTS Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Re: The NZG MTS Thread

Post by Mattallica »

I performed the Topboost mod this evening. It took about 15 minutes to complete. The difference is immediate and I would highly recommend it. Now to find it some tasty tuubes.

Grafting the Rockerverb to modern module is going well but I'm struggling to track down the last few necessary caps to finish.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-ar ... tions.html *fixed link

Turns out my Top Boost, JTM and Modern (soon to be Rockerverb) all have the early incorrect input resistor. The article says to only change R1, but i'm going to change R2 and R3 as well, because they all connect to a opto coupler thing

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Mattallica wrote:http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-ar ... tions.html *fixed link

Turns out my Top Boost, JTM and Modern (soon to be Rockerverb) all have the early incorrect input resistor. The article says to only change R1, but i'm going to change R2 and R3 as well, because they all connect to a opto coupler thing
Matt, please let me know how they turn out with the mods. Some of my modules will have the same defect and will need remedying.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

werdna wrote:
Mattallica wrote:http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-ar ... tions.html *fixed link

Matt, please let me know how they turn out with the mods. Some of my modules will have the same defect and will need remedying.
Well I've changed them. Can't say I've noticed a change with the top boost. I think the bass response has improved on the jtm and it's clean sound is better overall. Changing the valves is making the most difference for sure

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

Mattallica wrote:
werdna wrote:

Well I've changed them. Can't say I've noticed a change with the top boost. I think the bass response has improved on the jtm and it's clean sound is better overall. Changing the valves is making the most difference for sure
Re valves, is it because they are fresh or because they are a different brand?

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

werdna wrote:
Mattallica wrote:
werdna wrote: Matt, please let me know how they turn out with the mods. Some of my modules will have the same defect and will need remedying.
Re valves, is it because they are fresh or because they are a different brand?
Good question. It must be the freshness because all the valves I've pulled are the stock ones which would be as old as the modules

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

Anyone after some stock modules? got a Blackface, Recto and SL+ available. $150 each or $400 for all 3.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DpotlxxdDwssc40X2

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

moliere wrote:Anyone after some stock modules? got a Blackface, Recto and SL+ available. $150 each or $400 for all 3.

How about all three for a Synergy BE-100?

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

Mattallica wrote:How about all three for a Synergy BE-100?
Could be keen, can I give it a few days? I'd rather have money at the moment, but would love to try a BE in the RM-100. I just know I'm going to end up buying a synergy rack though :(

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

moliere wrote:
Mattallica wrote:How about all three for a Synergy BE-100?
Could be keen, can I give it a few days? I'd rather have money at the moment, but would love to try a BE in the RM-100. I just know I'm going to end up buying a synergy rack though :(
Yeah no worries, i would also swap the Splawn for the Blackface & SL+, or buy the SL+ outright.

You prefer the syn 2 over doing the dual mod for your RM100?

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

Mattallica wrote:You prefer the syn 2 over doing the dual mod for your RM100?
Not too sure at this point. Was thinking of picking up an RM4 for my recording rack at home (w/Torpedo Live), but I think if I get a Synergy mod, I'd definitely like to hear it in it's intended setting at some point. I can see myself doing the dual mod at some stage.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

moliere wrote:
Mattallica wrote:You prefer the syn 2 over doing the dual mod for your RM100?
Not too sure at this point. Was thinking of picking up an RM4 for my recording rack at home (w/Torpedo Live), but I think if I get a Synergy mod, I'd definitely like to hear it in it's intended setting at some point. I can see myself doing the dual mod at some stage.
Hmm, bringing in a Syn 2 will be an expensive exercise to see if it's any better than the Randall enclosures.

I'll do the dual mod if Synergy ever get around to releasing the modules in the pipeline.

That case you have in the photo for your modules... looks like a Gator microphone case? what is it and where from?

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

Mattallica wrote: That case you have in the photo for your modules... looks like a Gator microphone case? what is it and where from?
Pelican 1300 from Rubber Monkey. Around $120. The modules only just fit, but they're nice and snug and safe.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

Mattallica wrote:
moliere wrote:Anyone after some stock modules? got a Blackface, Recto and SL+ available. $150 each or $400 for all 3.

How about all three for a Synergy BE-100?
Matt, I have just bought Moliere's Blackface module. Since I already have one, I am thinking of modifying it to be a Deluxe, as per the schematics on the Grail Tone website. Earlier you looked at the schematics and said that the Tweed module is quite different to the Blackface. At some point if you are curious and have time, I wonder if you could do me the favour of comparing the schematics of the Blackface and Deluxe and let me know if such a mod is viable please.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

When I turn up the gain on the Blackface module, there is more gain. However when I turn up the module volume dial, there is also more gain. Result: very difficult to get a clean tone on the BF module at a volume that can compete with other modules.