Can a 'clean platform' amp replace an overdriven amp?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Can a 'clean platform' amp replace an overdriven amp?

Post by kwhelan »

Always thought it was odd they make 2- 3 channel amps with bright etc and most seem to end up just using one default setup,
the question is really going to depend on the guitar and amp and its clean channel to start with. Adding a dirt pedal to a jazz chorus is way different to clean on a two rock,
I still find the bigger issue is changing guitar and expecting the same sound into the same amp settings, it used to do my head in that all my presets and settings were wrong but now I tend to embrace the difference and just pick the right guitar for the job at hand and learning to appreciate the differences,
moot question really as things like a amplifier firebox can replace an amp and many would be satisfied,

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

HackSaw wrote:With the neighbour’s wall about a metre from ours, and tenants downstairs with a baby, I never get to hear a properly driven amp, so pedals have to do the job.

But in my view, strum guitar, does the noise it makes please, excite, inspire, titilate you? Then who cares what hardware is in the middle. Fuck conventional wisdom, if it rocks your socks do it!

(Right, back to my usual headphones and software modelling, thus nullifying any opinions I might have)
agree totally at home, went from a computer modeller to a zoom g3x now my go to for sheer simplicity and damn it sounds good at home levels with decent speakers. has the advantages of still having foot switches for effect/patch changes and a wah

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Most people think that dirt pedals into clean are the way to go. So the question becomes whether there are any two and three channel amps out there that make dirt pedals unnecessary.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

werdna wrote:So the question becomes whether there are any two and three channel amps out there that make dirt pedals unnecessary.
Many, but I found that great clean and great gain rarely happen in the same amp. It really just depends on which one people would compromise on. I just have different amps for different things.

If you need everything in one package that's where the MTS stuff comes in...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

At a jazz festival one year we were walking a couple of streets back from where the bands were playing scattered along a singular street. One band sounded ok. The guitarist was playing through a cranked deluxe. A bit further along the sound that beckoned was a LP deluxe through a JMP and cab. I can be a bit biased with this sort of stuff and jazz is a bit further down the list than blues. Even my wife thought the JMP sounded cool and that’s saying something. Probably not a fair comparison but I wasn’t comparing. Just got drawn to one and the sound was amazing.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

werdna wrote:Most people think that dirt pedals into clean are the way to go. So the question becomes whether there are any two and three channel amps out there that make dirt pedals unnecessary.
Bogner XTC without a doubt.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I think the answer is yes, of course a good pedal into a good clean amp can be a great sound - and it gives you easy access to a real clean sound as well. Where as if you're like me and are into 15 watt amps cranked up pretty loud, you get a really nice tube dirt but you don't get a sparkly clean at all.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I think it’s yes with a few exclusions. I used to own a Dual Rec and used all 3 channels for a while then over time my taste in tone changed and ended up preferring using a G2D Custom OD pedal through the clean channel
Because it sounded better! It was a hardcore band which by all accounts a duel rec should suit but the pedal cut through the mix better and it was at that point I realised there was no point owning a 3 channel amp and just using the clean channel (and not a great one at that) have been using single channel amps with pedals ever since.
In saying that I loved the gain channel on an old Marshall 2550 I had and I never found a pedal that I would have thought matched it.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

I’d say it depends.
These days you have a plethora of pedals to choose from.
How many of them claim “amplike”, & to me that’s the key right there.
It’s an approximation of the thing they’re trying to replicate.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve heard & tried pedal platform rigs, some sounded killer.
However there was always something missing,
I mean is Wamplers SLO box truely going to trump the actual Soldano?
Likewise a BSIAB going to slay a plexi? I think not.

However I am a little conflicted on the subject if I’m completely honest.
I’d happily have a Blankenship TwinPlex & a tasty selection of pedals.
But would I ditch my Mojave or Cornford in a gun to the head choice?
Not a chance.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Regardless, if you like the sound, then isn't that all that matters? you may get the scorn of internet toan warriors for your sub-par rig, but do we really care about what people like that think?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

higainer wrote:I’d say it depends.

Not a chance.
I like that logic. The day we see amps claiming to be pedal-like, we will know the tide has turned.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

HackSaw wrote:
But in my view, strum guitar, does the noise it makes please, excite, inspire, titilate you? Then who cares what hardware is in the middle. Fuck conventional wisdom, if it rocks your socks do it!

(Right, back to my usual headphones and software modelling, thus nullifying any opinions I might have)
man this is so the answer. I play an unplugged electric guitar 99% of the time because I just love playing guitar. Have never really chased a tone in my life ..... especially for at home playing :rofl:

Wasn't the whole power amp/rack thing pretty much the clean platform idea back in the 80's :?: :idea:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Delayman wrote:
higainer wrote:I’d say it depends.

Not a chance.
I like that logic. The day we see amps claiming to be pedal-like, we will know the tide has turned.
If you're looking for a SLO sound with a pedal and you're plugged into a 15 watt combo, well it's not going to happen, is it?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

My first setup was pedal > clean amp. Princeton Chorus & DS1 if I remember the 90's.

In the early 00's I picked up a Gunn 50w head which ran into a matching 2x12 with a Boss Bluesdriver and later a Hotcake in front. That was a pretty big sounding rig , especially with the Vester Mod 700 (335 copy) I had at the time.

For me, I prioritise a dirty sound over a clean one , so I'd rather have an amp that has a better built in OD sound. That and I'm too impatient to try out a bunch of pedals that have different characteristics with different guitars in my stable. Plus, I don't like tap-dancing multiple OD's to get a sound - an amp that can change between a clean/dirty/dirtier sound via a decent 2-3 button f/s is going to win for me each time.

However, I've heard some stunning tones from bandmates using the clean platform/pedal setup. On of my oldest mates whom I've played in 3 bands with has been using the same rig for 10+ years; strat > Hotcake > Fender blues deville. Covers off everything up to metal tones, and just never gets lost in the mix.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

willow13 wrote:Wasn't the whole power amp/rack thing pretty much the clean platform idea back in the 80's :?: :idea:
No, because the preamps were still mostly tube. That was before good fx loops were a common thing, yet that drenched in fx sound was popular. With seperate preamp and power amp it's easier to run stereo fx and W/D systems etc.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio