Can a 'clean platform' amp replace an overdriven amp?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Can a 'clean platform' amp replace an overdriven amp?

Post by vintage52 »

McPherson Rock box into a 5E3 clone does a good noise to my ears.
Wellington

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I can't add a huge amount to this discussion beyond having struggled for ages to get a nice pedal + amp distortion tone that I preferred to my TSL601 self overdriven tone, I blame lack of experience to be honest and am actually liking the overdriven tones I get from my Katana so it's gotta be possible.

What I can add though is this video I spotted over the weekend and while I was going to post it in the Rig Rundown thread (which I will do anyway) it's worth posting here to see Phil Collen's view to solid state amps and fx. For someone I've known as a guitarist in the classic rock genre and being both a producer himself and a guitarist in a band famed for their studio excess, I'd have expected him to be a valve seeking tone addict. BUT it seems he's very solid state and modelled these days, and heavily endorsed by Blackstar by the look of it.

Not only does he talk of using solid state on stage and practice, but he also talks bout recording guitars digitally direct onto a mac running SW and getting great tones.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

In a word, no.

I’m in the process of trading my Deluxe Reverb for a AC30 because as wonderful as the clean is, it doesn’t do the overdrive I like, and no pedal really quite gets me there.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

TmcB wrote:In a word, no.

I’m in the process of trading my Deluxe Reverb for a AC30 because as wonderful as the clean is, it doesn’t do the overdrive I like, and no pedal really quite gets me there.
You should make a pedal that gets you there.

:D
Wellington

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

You haven't tried hard enough!!!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

vintage52 wrote:

You should make a pedal that gets you there.

:D
I do of course :mrgreen: - The Rogue is spectacular with Fenders.
No pedal truly nails the feel and touch sensitivity of an amp overdriving though, hence why I make my pedals to enhance an amp rather than pretend to be one.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I always enjoyed watching MisterB stomp on every drive and boost he had on the board to try and keep up with my 5150 or Boogie.
Loving it so far

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Shimmer »

So in a related question - if one was to use pedals exclusively for all their OD/distortion sounds and only run through a clean channel on an amp, then does that negate the 'advantage' that tube amps have over solid state in terms of tone?
I want all the pedals!

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Short answer from my experience is not really.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Shimmer wrote:So in a related question - if one was to use pedals exclusively for all their OD/distortion sounds and only run through a clean channel on an amp, then does that negate the 'advantage' that tube amps have over solid state in terms of tone?
Not really. Even tho the amp is running 'clean' there is still a lot of the base of the sound in that clean. Especially if the amp is pushing hard enough (edge of breakup). A nice tube clean is a beautiful thing.

My 2c on this topic is that no matter what's creating your drive, if you're running a tube amp, it HAS TO BE LOUD. Any pedal, no matter how expensive, will sound shit thru a quiet tube amp. I have no experience with modelling amps, but I gather the point of these is that they sound good/same at all volumes?
Nothing to see here.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Miza wrote: My 2c on this topic is that no matter what's creating your drive, if you're running a tube amp, it HAS TO BE LOUD. Any pedal, no matter how expensive, will sound shit thru a quiet tube amp. I have no experience with modelling amps, but I gather the point of these is that they sound good/same at all volumes?
I'm sure that volume would help. Really does in that Pete Thorn video in the OP. But I don't have the luxury of playing at volume and am impressed with the sound of the pedal regardless. Guess it'd be better loud then.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Molly, maybe an attenuator is what you need? Get the tubes cooking, at bedroom-friendly volumes?
Nothing to see here.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Miza wrote:Molly, maybe an attenuator is what you need? Get the tubes cooking, at bedroom-friendly volumes?
The Two Rock has a really useful loop level that allows you to crank the amp but rein it back in. Just not sure if you're really supposed to use it in that way. I've played it loud a couple of times. Fuck, it sounds good. :-)

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Even the modellers sound better loud. Not because the tone changes but everything just sounds better loud.
Loving it so far

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

StratMatt wrote:Even the modellers sound better loud. Not because the tone changes but everything just sounds better loud.
fletcher-munson -

At low listening volumes – mid range frequencies sound more prominent, while the low and high frequency ranges seem to fall into the background.
At high listening volumes – the lows and highs sound more prominent, while the mid range seems comparatively softer.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.