Reinhardt Ampzilla

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mr Davison
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Reinhardt Ampzilla

Post by Mr Davison »

Picked this up in early April & the previous owner had modded the amp to curb it's extreme volume. Changes he had made were swapping the el34s for 6v6s & a master volume pot in the second speaker jack. The master volume mod had been done professionally but sounded terrible right thru it's range till maxed out & then the amp became tonefully inspiring. Was concerned that even with the master dimed the mod was still partially colouring the sound. Really tried to get the master volume working but it just sounded like there were heavy blankets covering the amp. Also I'm more of an el34 tone type over 6v6s.

So, I made my very first appointment with 34 Audio in Titirangi.
The amp has now been returned to its original glory with no master volume, 2 speaker jacks & biased to a pair of el34s. It is very loud. 50 watts rms clip point, 98 watts rms max.

Have put a few hours thru it now but am still very much in the learning phase of finding different tones. Loves single coils & takes me a bit longer to dial in hot humbucker tones. Cleans up exceptionally well with guitar volume roll off. Gain is controlled with 2 pots that remind me a little of the body/hair setup on Marshalls vintage modern series. It is a noisy amp, you definitely know it's on. Super responsive to pick attack with a lot of punch if you dig in. The high end is tonally very smooth. I've found volume anywhere from 6 - 8 is the goods & just ride the guitar volume from there. At these volume settings I can max out guitar volume with single coils but can't take my hot humbuckers past 3/4 without it sounding like it's about to kill my greenback loaded quad. Different cab experimentation is required.
A very tonally unique amplifier with superb big cleans & very harmonic, powerful driven tones. Chords on it shake my house & single note lines project forcibly at you. Superb.
Sonic mayhem unleashed

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Reinhardt Ampzilla

Post by higainer »

Sounds like it’s all worked out.
Ditching the 6V6’s for EL34’s is exactly what I thought too when I saw it on TM.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

photo :?: :idea:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Mr Davison
Squier
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Mr Davison »

willow13 wrote:photo :?: :idea:
Yeah... nice photo would have embellished the post quite nicely! My excuse being the amp wasn't feeling very photogenic at 1am! Photo of it in show us your gear thread when I first picked it up early April if that helps
Sonic mayhem unleashed