NAD • Vox AC15C1X w Alnico Blue

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

NAD • Vox AC15C1X w Alnico Blue

Post by Mini Forklift »

Took ownership of this rather magnificent black box yesterday afternoon (same model as demo'd in the video above). First thing I did was switch out the Chinese made tubes for some NOS EL84's & 12AX7's, decided to stick a nice old Japanese 12AT7 into V1. Sounds rather majestic now, especially coupled with the Treble Booster...

The wife didn't seem particularly impressed for some reason, maybe her day just wasn't as good as mine :thumbup:

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Re: NAD • Vox AC15C1X w Alnico Blue

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

Took ownership of this rather magnificent black box yesterday afternoon (same model as demo'd in the video above). First thing I did was switch out the Chinese made tubes for some NOS EL84's & 12AX7's, decided to stick a nice old Japanese 12AT7 into V1. Sounds rather majestic now, especially coupled with the Treble Booster...

The wife didn't seem particularly impressed for some reason, maybe her day just wasn't as good as mine :thumbup:
Congrats. That is truely a great amp.
Having gigged with one (albeit an older iteration) with a really well broken in blue i can attest to their performance and tone.
Grunty as all hell. The sweet spot (which for fender offset single coils seems to occur where the master and gain are both just shy of mid day) just ash the nicest mix of clean punch together with tasty harmonics. Beefy low end and razor highs with a punishing mid attack all together with a definite musicality makes for one phenominal little device. Good score.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

One word. Gearfest.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Yeah... this, plus the Ceriatone monster, Gearfest fer shure guv!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

:thumbup: Nice... Welcome to the club

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I really loved my ac15c1 once I switched out the greenback, never really liked od or distortion pedals before that, get yourself an AB switch so you can run it as a two channel amp, treble booster into the top boost channel is awesome!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Frey wrote:Nice. I have a laney VC30
giz
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Cheers guys, really do like this amp! Picking up a footswitch this arvo for the reverb & tremolo.

If only I gigged lol, I think that might have even been a pipe-dream New Years Resolution. One day...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Good score :) Got my own NAC15C1 day today, courtesy of the fine forum gent who dropped it round to me last night and partook in an evening of curry and wine :)

Mine is the greenback version, which I wholeheartedly agree on, my taste in alnico starts and ends at Jensen - that just my scope really, and the ac30 I had was the wharfedale version - which sounded spiffing enough for me.

To be honest, I expected an amp about half the weight of an AC30 boat anchor.... but I'd say its 3/4's the weight at least - do they make them from concrete?

Just started to look for rangemaster/hawk/treble boosters will order some parts and make some. I'm just running the amp and then hitting it with the sweet baby for a bit of boost (yes I am full 100% JB)

Got to go, the ghost of rory's in my fingers....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Bg wrote:Good score :) Got my own NAC15C1 day today, courtesy of the fine forum gent who dropped it round to me last night and partook in an evening of curry and wine :)

Mine is the greenback version, which I wholeheartedly agree on, my taste in alnico starts and ends at Jensen - that just my scope really, and the ac30 I had was the wharfedale version - which sounded spiffing enough for me.

To be honest, I expected an amp about half the weight of an AC30 boat anchor.... but I'd say its 3/4's the weight at least - do they make them from concrete?

Just started to look for rangemaster/hawk/treble boosters will order some parts and make some. I'm just running the amp and then hitting it with the sweet baby for a bit of boost (yes I am full 100% JB)

Got to go, the ghost of rory's in my fingers....
Yeah not light is it ?! When the guy passed it over to me I nearly dropped it - he then told me, “sorry I should have mentioned it’s 22kg”.

Definitely benefits from running a Treble Booster into it, it actually sounds a bit flat when I turn mine off. Think I am still in the Rory and Brian honeymoon stage :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg if you wanna go full JB you gotta chuck that greenie for a g12h30 or Eminence wizard, improves it massively, then hit it with a treble booster hard on the top boost channel!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Nah, Normal channel all the way mate!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

beeg, your amp sounded great the other night! Great bottom end...usable drive and nice reverb. A win.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Just when I start thinking about selling mine you guys start talking these up!

I just saw the message from when I bought it, and seller said their strong recommendation was to “treat it as a non-master volume amp”. I guess that means leave the master at full and use the channel volumes to control.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I used a UK made VC30 for 8 years - maybe 30 gigs a year - so 240 gigs at 5 hours a piece = 1200 hours of trouble free clean clear tone. Good amps. I put Celestion Blues in it. Honestly, the HH Invaders were bloody good. Return on investment was low!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves