Any thoughts re: attenuators?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Any thoughts re: attenuators?

Post by mugamee »

Initially i was looking for a prri but then chanced upon a drri for a good price.

It is too "loud" for home use (lol i know, what did i expect right?) I have a baby at home and a couple of flatmates. Well they don't mind at the moment, but yeah, i wouldnt want to push it...

Anyhows, for thove who have experienced using them, are attenuators worth purchasing?

Thanks team.
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Any thoughts re: attenuators?

Post by jeremyb »

Buy a Katana man, cheap as chips, great tone, bedroom friendly in the 0.5W mode, gig friendly in the other modes, tubes are great if you get a chance to crank them, otherwise... pointless, archaic technology, with magical pixie dust, that no one in a blind test can tell apart :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

mugamee wrote:Initially i was looking for a prri but then chanced upon a drri for a good price.

It is too "loud" for home use (lol i know, what did i expect right?) I have a baby at home and a couple of flatmates. Well they don't mind at the moment, but yeah, i wouldnt want to push it...

Anyhows, for thove who have experienced using them, are attenuators worth purchasing?

Thanks team.
I bought a THD Hotplate to use with my Super Reverb. Only used it once then decided I was selling the amp so it's been on the shelf ever since. They do what they're supposed to do. Some attenuators have circuitry to compensate for how the ear perceives sound at different volumes (Tone King). That's pretty clever I think. Spendy, mind.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Should also mention, you can probably pickup a secondhand Katana for the price of a decent attenuator :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Swart Night Light get you to levels where there's still sound but the string noise can be louder....

OK for amps up to 22 Watts.
Wellington

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

If your amp has a master volume then I think they are kind of pointless
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Swap the Jensen C12K in it for a C12Q (6dB less sensitivity).
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

vintage52 wrote:Swart Night Light get you to levels where there's still sound but the string noise can be louder....

OK for amps up to 22 Watts.
Yes, the Swart sounds the best in my opinion. I have one in my Princeton and it's excellent.

They can be souped up too...I have the large size one for 30 watt plus.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I was leaning towards the swart night light even before starting this thread- good to hear others having very good experience with this unit.

Just sucks that none of the stores sell these locally.
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Torpedo Captor are in stock at the rockshop at the moment. $399.
20 db reduction switch.
Could play your amp through mixer/headphones too if your'e that way inclined. Just need to load up some impulse responses. Great little units.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

+1 for Captor

Having tried a few attenuators, taming a big amp to bedroom volumes is always disappointing. Attenuators at band level is a different story.

AMP -> Captor/load -> IR loader -> Monitors sounds good to me, but major investment if you are just jamming out.

Katana is a fraction of the price and sounds o.k at bedroom levels.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

willow13 wrote:If your amp has a master volume then I think they are kind of pointless
Speaking as someone who owns two amps with MV and attenuators, I would 100% disagree with this. In both amps, I get very different results. Usually a combination of the two is what gives the best bedroom level output for mine.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

chur wrote:+1 for Captor

Having tried a few attenuators, taming a big amp to bedroom volumes is always disappointing. Attenuators at band level is a different story.

AMP -> Captor/load -> IR loader -> Monitors sounds good to me, but major investment if you are just jamming out.

How are the Captors as an attenuator with a speaker cab (or in a combo with the built in speaker)? 20dB attenuation is a lot, but it can mean very different real-world results depending on where in the chain it is and what dB scale is being used.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

bender wrote:
chur wrote:+1 for Captor

How are the Captors as an attenuator with a speaker cab (or in a combo with the built in speaker)? 20dB attenuation is a lot, but it can mean very different real-world results depending on where in the chain it is and what dB scale is being used.
Sounded o.k to me (didnt go fizzy etc) but Reg18 tried it last so he might have some input. He also tried the built in cab sim which I still haven't tried. The downside is its fixed at that attenuation level, so I keep my BC Unleash around in case I ever need something more flexible. A 15 watt amp with 20db down might not work at a gig, my non MV JMP still seemed loud.
Like always at lower house volumes I find my low watt greenbacks sound better than the GT-75's in a similar enclosure, as I guess they work a little more.

For me the Captor was more of a device for IR use, but seems useful for many things.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

My vote goes to UA OX, you can get a pretty sweet cranked amp tone through headphones and its handy for recording and gigs it's all a compromise depends how much good tone and more feel of the amp means to you.