Are Valve "Tube" amps ok for practice at home??

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Daza152
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Are Valve "Tube" amps ok for practice at home??

Post by Daza152 »

Hey guys apart from the obvious alternative (Boss Katana 50) what is a good size amp for home? I'd like maybe go up to a 12" speaker and maybe 30 to 50 watts. for me guitar practice is also playing as I'm not about to ever gig? I'm getting a Strat soon I really hope and the music I want to play sounds like Gilmour style haha. Champagne taste on Corona budget.. I would and could spend around 500 for an amp. Are valve anmps a thing of the past for home or just too costly? Please give me a few suggestions. I like the Peavey Classic 30W Fender Bluesman Junior nice but pricey.

Cheers
Daza.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Re: Are Valve "Tube" amps ok for practice at home??

Post by Lyle »

How loud can you be at home? I have a 5W tube amp with a 10" speaker and it's too loud to play without disturbing everyone in the house. But if no one is home I can crank it without annoying the neighbours too much.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Daza152 wrote:Hey guys apart from the obvious alternative (Boss Katana 50) what is a good size amp for home? I'd like maybe go up to a 12" speaker and maybe 30 to 50 watts. for me guitar practice is also playing as I'm not about to ever gig? I'm getting a Strat soon I really hope and the music I want to play sounds like Gilmour style haha. Champagne taste on Corona budget.. I would and could spend around 500 for an amp. Are valve anmps a thing of the past for home or just too costly? Please give me a few suggestions. I like the Peavey Classic 30W Fender Bluesman Junior nice but pricey.

Cheers
Daza.
Peavey Classic 20 was ideal! Should never have sold mine.
Wellington

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have a 50 watt EVH running into a quad for home use. Will go down to whisper levels and still sound awesome. I also have a Katana head...so I run them in stereo for home use...sounds even better :mrgreen:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Again, same as what I said in the Squier thread I think you just need to try a few. I've had 50w and 100w heads that sound great at home - volume obviously low and an OD pedal if I want some dirt to it. Interestingly I've also had a few 15w and 20w amps that have actually been too loud; the ones I had kind of needed to be ran a little hotter in order for them to sound half decent, they sounded pretty average with the volume down low.

I think a Katana 50w with the power switching is a great option, as are the new Marshall Origin series which also have really usable power switching built in. Both sound good at lower volumes and have more than enough guts when needed :-)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Daza152 wrote:Hey guys apart from the obvious alternative (Boss Katana 50) what is a good size amp for home? I'd like maybe go up to a 12" speaker and maybe 30 to 50 watts. for me guitar practice is also playing as I'm not about to ever gig? I'm getting a Strat soon I really hope and the music I want to play sounds like Gilmour style haha. Champagne taste on Corona budget.. I would and could spend around 500 for an amp. Are valve anmps a thing of the past for home or just too costly? Please give me a few suggestions. I like the Peavey Classic 30W Fender Bluesman Junior nice but pricey.

Cheers
Daza.
No. Buy a Katana 50.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Tube amps need to be cranked, on your budget get a katana.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I used to have a Vox Valvetronix 30 and that had a valve preamp running into an SS amp. So it sounded really nice and warm and was still a good value little amp.

Lots of amp simulations too, so it could go from sounding like a Fender to a Vox to a Marshall to some really crunchy things just by turning a switch.

I reckon you should get something like that until you are sure what sort of amp you want to get.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I still think Daza is the old jenesis just trolling with all these threads. He should have just dredge all the ones he did years ago which asked pretty much exactly the same things

good to see the term "dazaing" make a come back though :thumbup:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

^^^^^^

Really having a hard time taking these seriously.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Laney Cub12R

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

HD500

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Go Katana. Less mucking about, headphone out, as complex or simple as you want to make it and allows you to focus on playing. Plus it sounds good and goes from quiet to quite frickin loud.

I like tubes, but hard to beat the Katana for the money, options and resale.

My $0.02
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

Single coil wrote:^^^^^^

Really having a hard time taking these seriously.
oh ok then...

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

Bg wrote:

Cheers
Daza.
No. Buy a Katana 50.
OK sounds like a plan if that one for 300 bux is still around after I get my guityar I'm getin' it. :winky: