Any "forever" amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Any "forever" amps?

Post by GrantB »

80 gigs later I am still loving this thing...I swear it sounds better every time I play it. Factory loaded Celestion Gold.I recall reading these have a Supro-ish front end and a hot Fender power section and with the Celestion, some Vox tipped in for good measure.

I have three amps that cover every thing for me, but this is the one that I couldn't part with unless my arse was truly dragging on the ground.

Photo from a gig last night - that Sennheiser e906 is absolutely a winner. Cheers for that one Tod!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Any "forever" amps?

Post by sizzlingbadger »

After seeing the shitty build inside the London Pro (double sided tape holding in relays), and its poor power scaling design (Which I managed a partial fix) I was put off owning any more of their amps. Maybe it was just that one though :cry:

My Friedman DS Mini is definitely up there as one of the best amps I have ever owned.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

sizzlingbadger wrote:After seeing the shitty build inside the London Pro (double sided tape holding in relays), and its poor power scaling design (Which I managed a partial fix) I was put off owning any more of their amps. Maybe it was just that one though :cry.
:shock: :crybaby:

I’ve seen inside this one...it’s very precise. Not as good as my old Matchless, or the /13, but very good....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Now this one is actually mine - cheeky fender badge to fill the gap till I can get a nameplate made up.

Scratchbuilt Tweed Vibrolux - a Harvard with bias tremolo. Shares a lot of circuitry with the Deluxe but really needs a push in the front end to get it singing.

Can't sell it, sounds too good and now it looks the part too ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I have a Holden VBL 100... don't think I'll ever sell that thing just for the historical factor.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Boss Katana 50W, the boutique toob guys are still playing catch up!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I've had a couple. Unfortunately as with much in life you don't quite realise you've had the best until it's been off down the road awhile. Specifically a Samson era Matchless Hc30 and a non mv metal panel 100watt Marshall head.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

I've owned my Ashton buskers amp since 2003 & it's one of the few battery amps that will put out the full rated output. This will never get sold - I use it in my motorhome & small church group events outside.

My SWR California Blonde is also totally indispensable especially for solo performances where I use a small stage mixer with it. I use this for both Bass & Guitars.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Pretty happy with the bandit. Won’t achieve anything by selling it and it ticks all the boxes.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

There's one guy who won't post in this thread :moresarc:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote:Now this one is actually mine - cheeky fender badge to fill the gap till I can get a nameplate made up.

Scratchbuilt Tweed Vibrolux - a Harvard with bias tremolo. Shares a lot of circuitry with the Deluxe but really needs a push in the front end to get it singing.

Can't sell it, sounds too good and now it looks the part too ;)
This amp does sound great - is more Fender than Fender.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

The Bogner Mojado I bought off Tim has held my attention really well which is saying something. I do miss the Extacy but way too much for me. Regretted not buying an old JMP which came my way.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

My 98 Ac30TBx/6 has done every gig I’ve ever played since I got it in 2004. It’s the best ac30 I’ve ever played, and I’ve gone through a lot! That’s with me for forerver. My 60s Holden Wasp and Vox BHM1 are both forerver Amos too.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

I’m just here to see how the other half lives
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

All of my previously owned valve amps were forever amps, especially after the mods, the speaker swaps yada yada yada. My two currents are forever - my hand-wired Blackface Princeton Reverb and my Trinity 5E3 Tweed Deluxe (with new tweed cab by BG) - they both owe me too much to afford selling! And they sound pretty good too. Maybe I should practice actual guitar? :)
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe