Speaker talk

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Speaker talk

Post by Molly »

kwhelan wrote:
Interesting. And this guy's also amplifying his Kemper with a Fryette Power Station. I think it would be worth my trying a pair of these speakers even though I've CL80s on the way. Would mean I could leave the Kemper's Pure Cabinet feature on.

:-)

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bought a pair of Heritage 55 hz cone G12H 30's from Hotrox in the uk on Weds. Arrived in Aucks on Sunday. Pretty sharp but I'm guessing they'll take a couple of weeks to sort customs and make it down here.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

kwhelan wrote:
Ordered two. Think it'll better suit the Kemper than the CL80s I have on the way. The idea behind the CL80s was that Michael Britt often uses them when making profiles. However, the more I use the Kemper the more I like the rigs with the speaker portion of the profile present. There's also a couple of features of the Kemper I can take advantage by using FRFR speakers. The 'Kemper Cone' feature will simulate one of sixteen popular speakers (including off-axis tone changes) and there's also the 'Pure Cabinet' feature which takes harshness of high-gain tones.

Can you tell I've been nerding-out with the manual?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Nowt wrong with having a pair of Cl80's on the shelf for a rainy day. Had a pair of Mesa C90's with 444 bass cones at one point, which are not a million miles away. Biggest clean tone ever.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Mattress5
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Mattress5 »

Got around to putting the GA-SC64 into my Deluxe Reverb yesterday. Obviously there's a lot of hype surrounding this speaker, especially when put in a DR. I must say I was pretty impressed. Haven't had a chance to crank it up too much yet, but the cleans are certainly improved. It has definitely tamed a bit of that shrill high end. As someone who loves playing a bit of country the highs are now much more usable and musical. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the lows, maybe a bit tighter. I guess the speaker's only got a couple of hours or so playing time on it so far and things will change as it wears in. So far, so good.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

This reminds me, I do have:

Jensen Blackbird 8ohm
Celestion Blue 16ohm
Celestion AlNiCo Cream 8ohm
Eminence Red Fang 16ohm
Celestion Gold 10" 8ohm

For consideration if any one is buying...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

GrantB wrote:This reminds me, I do have:

Jensen Blackbird 8ohm
Celestion Blue 16ohm
Eminence Red Fang 16ohm
Celestion Gold 10" 8ohm

out of possible interest in the Red Fang I googled it and this link came up to a discussion about how expensive eminence speakers were .... now if that $650 comment is right they seem bloody cheap now days :rofl:

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12465
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Which also reminds me that we haven't had a gearfest in Hamilton for a number of years
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Jensen Blackbird 8ohm
Celestion Blue 16ohm
Eminence Red Fang 16ohm
Celestion Gold 10" 8ohm

Falling off the Alnico wagon perchance ?
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Dharmajester wrote:

Jensen Blackbird 8ohm
Celestion Blue 16ohm
Eminence Red Fang 16ohm
Celestion Gold 10" 8ohm

Falling off the Alnico wagon perchance ?
What a ride!!!

Nah, just went silly a few years back and tested everything,..I cant sell all of these tho, but attrition will work.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

GrantB wrote:Which also reminds me that we haven't had a gearfest in Hamilton for a number of years
you missed my post in the Christchurch one?
willow13 wrote:mean while some where in hamilton

for a tronfest
I started looking into venues down there but it was way to hard to do just by looking a photos online so gave up

We need to make sure Danny comes...I have a couple of things he will love :mrgreen:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote: Nah, just went silly a few years back and tested everything,..I cant sell all of these tho, but attrition will work.
Alnico's have to be the ultimate wallet stressing speaker experience. I'm on a return to multiple low powered ceramic's atm. I think all the high powered releases in recent years led us into a cul de sac of smaller enclosures with less drivers but really life's far too short to waste time not playing through a quad box. :lol:
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bit of this. Bit of that. Just put a pair of F12-X200 (FRFR) speakers in my 212 cab. Should get me closer to the way the Kemper is supposed to sound. Big buggers, mind.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Impressive looking mags on the back of that. The Nicki Minaj of the speaker world.
Hunter S. Thompson

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Molly wrote:Bit of this. Bit of that. Just put a pair of F12-X200 (FRFR) speakers in my 212 cab. Should get me closer to the way the Kemper is supposed to sound. Big buggers, mind.

Those Celestion A types have to be my favourite at the moment.
So so good!