Which new Fender amp for SRV tones?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Which new Fender amp for SRV tones?

Post by Molly »

Trawling the Fender website looking for a candidate and can't believe how many they make. Don't really know where to start.

The Chris Stapleton Princeton sounds nice in the demo but will it help me foist some SRV tones upon this band?

Fender amp officianados: Which of the new amps would get me closest to a SRV-like tone?

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: Which new Fender amp for SRV tones?

Post by Polar Bear »

59 bassman reissue.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Katana, which you already have.

/thread

:rofl:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

How loud do you need to be? Rehearsal room + club gigs mic'ed up = BF Vibroverb. Loud as a mofo drummer at rehearsal room + larger gigs backline mic'ed = BF Super Reverb. What drummer? Is there someone playing drums here? + big stage backline or small club gig un mic'ed = BF Twin Reverb/SF Quad Reverb

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

The twins probably the easy road, provided it has a master volume.
Bet you’ll love it too, but your chiro won’t.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Bet you’ll love it too, but your chiro won’t.
Agreed. The things are a blown disc waiting to happen... my old one weighed in at the svelte 44 kg!

Go for a Super Reverb. Not much loss in horsepower really, 4 x 10" = 40 squares vs 2 x 12" = 24 squares, progressive compression kicks in at 6 on the dial and they're a hell of a lot lighter. The Twins' 12" are very beamy as well...very on axis/off axis...great if you're standing in front. The Super's 10" are way wider and combine to fatten up the bottom end but because they're 10"s, they stay tight and don't flab like 12"s can with 6L6 GCs as they can be a soft valve. IMHO :)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Cheers you blokes. Should narrow it down a bit.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Back in the day...(eyes glaze over)...I used to have the odd cup of tea with Midge Marsden who was mates for a time with SRV. He told how obsessed he was with guitar and tales of him staggering around his house as soon as he woke up with a guitar around his neck, plugging in to whatever amp was in that room. Had some Mexican assistant trailing around to untangle the leads and turn the unused amps on standby and stuff. Said that Stevie had high headroom amps even at home...Twins and Marshall hundys among Dumbles and smaller Fenders...bugger being the neighbours to all that day and night. Midge had some crazy stories though, mental...

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

clubhouse wrote:Back in the day...(eyes glaze over)...I used to have the odd cup of tea with Midge Marsden who was mates for a time with SRV. He told how obsessed he was with guitar and tales of him staggering around his house as soon as he woke up with a guitar around his neck, plugging in to whatever amp was in that room. Had some Mexican assistant trailing around to untangle the leads and turn the unused amps on standby and stuff. Said that Stevie had high headroom amps even at home...Twins and Marshall hundys among Dumbles and smaller Fenders...bugger being the neighbours to all that day and night. Midge had some crazy stories though, mental...
I believe that. Watched a vid the other day, an interview with Mike Soldano. Stevie had a SLO 100 for a while to test drive just before he died. Word was he liked it.
So the answer to Molly's question.. SLO 100.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

OK. Well, it might not be perfect for SRV tones but it'll certainly suit the band I'm playing with so I bought one of these:

Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

Spent half the day running one demo after another and this does a respectable drive too as best I can tell. Trem and reverb an' all that too. Anderton's did me a price match with Thomann. Came in well under what I'd probably have to pay in NZ (depending on Super Dave discount). Anyway, it's ordered now so I'll have to stop listening to demos of other amps.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Such a classy looking amp, great choice!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Agonised over the 65 v the 68. Based on the demos the 65 sounded the best loud but for my purposes and in the way I'd most likely use it I thought I'd get more out of the 68. Instead of having two of the same Blackface channels it's got the Silverface (whatever that means) in one and a Bassman tone-stack in the other. It also has reverb on both and doesn't have the bright cap like the 65 so is arguably better with pedals.

Also, for some reason the 65 is a full $500 more and for the life of me I can't see what you're getting for that extra money.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

But it’s a 65!!!!1!1!!1!1!
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Single coil wrote:But it’s a 65!!!!1!1!!1!1!
Well, it was a great year. I was born!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I could've spent $800 more on a second-hand Friedman Buxom Betty (plus whatever else for a cab) but the demos, despite the spec and blurb just didn't do it for me. And there was no trem so I'd need another Flint. Too easy to be swayed by those boutique badges. Just knew I'd be disappointed with it.