Solid state amps. Thoughts?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Solid state amps. Thoughts?

Post by chur »

Molly wrote:
Kris wrote:ive always had valve when i was tuning low as they have that low end grunt-like petrol vs diesel if you will. Since going to E standard i find SS does just fine,katana was a big eye opener for me.
I'm modding my Katana to include an extension cab socket. Nothing wrong with it as is. I just want to hear it through other speakers.
Just modded mine this morning, going to annoy everyone this arvo. Two outputs so I can try two quads at the same time (one has GB's, the other GT-75's) :thumbup: Hopefully the Katana doesn't die in the process.

First output cuts the internal speaker when plugging in external cab.
Mod.jpg
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:
Molly wrote:
Kris wrote:ive always had valve when i was tuning low as they have that low end grunt-like petrol vs diesel if you will. Since going to E standard i find SS does just fine,katana was a big eye opener for me.
I'm modding my Katana to include an extension cab socket. Nothing wrong with it as is. I just want to hear it through other speakers.
Just modded mine this morning, going to annoy everyone this arvo. Two outputs so I can try two quads at the same time (one has GB's, the other GT-75's) :thumbup: Hopefully the Katana doesn't die in the process.

Mod.jpg
Think it's a 4 ohm output so I guess that's a safe mismatch with most speaker combinations do you think?

I cant get the bloody amp out of the case. Feels like they also glued it in.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Molly wrote:
chur wrote:
Molly wrote:

Mod.jpg
Think it's a 4 ohm output so I guess that's a safe mismatch with most speaker combinations do you think?

I cant get the bloody amp out of the case. Feels like they also glued it in.
I believe its min 8 ohm out, much like the head. (so one or more cabs will be this or more)

4 screws at the rear, the two chrome ones on top, and the row of little black ones just below the controls gets it out easily enough.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Hmm. Did all that but it doesn't want me messing about in there. LOL. Will revisit it on Sunday.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Molly wrote:Hmm. Did all that but it doesn't want me messing about in there. LOL. Will revisit it on Sunday.
Jesus, its a monster through two cabs on the brown mode :clap: Even low on the 25w setting its still loud and punchy as hell.

The internal speaker in an open cab sounds blimin awful to my ears after riffin a bit on big closed back units..

I can see how the head with a good cab can make a cool rig.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:
Molly wrote:Hmm. Did all that but it doesn't want me messing about in there. LOL. Will revisit it on Sunday.
Jesus, its a monster through two cabs on the brown mode :clap: Even low on the 25w setting its still loud and punchy as hell.

The internal speaker in an open cab sounds blimin awful to my ears after riffin a bit on big closed back units..

I've a second cab I'm working on. Zilla 212. Very deep with, potentially, a lot of bottom end. Intend to keep it closed back and, as they can be had pretty cheap here, use a couple of V30s. Should be good with the higher gain Katana tones.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

chur wrote:

I sure hope you can make it to the gearfest!

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Molly wrote:
I've a second cab I'm working on. Zilla 212. Very deep with, potentially, a lot of bottom end. Intend to keep it closed back and, as they can be had pretty cheap here, use a couple of V30s. Should be good with the higher gain Katana tones.
Imagine it will sound great.

Never really minded the internal speaker with my tin ears, but weird going back to it after the ears get accustomed to the closed backs. The blend of the Greenbacks and the GT-75s seems good too. The GT's have more thump.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:
Molly wrote:
Imagine it will sound great.

Never really minded the internal speaker with my tin ears, but weird going back to it after the ears get accustomed to the closed backs. The blend of the Greenbacks and the GT-75s seems good too. The GT's have more thump.
Hmm. Got me thinking. Maybe the mixed Warehouse pairing in my Suhr cab would be good in the closed-back Zilla, and something else in the Suhr.

Actually supposed to be collecting that Zilla right now but can't get a reply from the guy. :shifty:

Edit: Sorted. :-)

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Molly wrote: Hmm. Got me thinking. Maybe the mixed Warehouse pairing in my Suhr cab would be good in the closed-back Zilla, and something else in the Suhr.

Actually supposed to be collecting that Zilla right now but can't get a reply from the guy. :shifty:

Edit: Sorted. :-)
Just something you probably already know, but will mention it, make sure you use insulated jack sockets for the external speaker. Neither of the speaker wires are ground so you don't want to short on the chassis.

Dropped back to just the greenback cab last night when playing quietly, seems clearer at low volumes than the 75's.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've got a spare greenback 16 ohm hanging around. Would it be worthwhile throwing that into my katana combo?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

AiRdAd wrote:I've got a spare greenback 16 ohm hanging around. Would it be worthwhile throwing that into my katana combo?
A bloke I know REALLY wants one of those.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

AiRdAd wrote:I've got a spare greenback 16 ohm hanging around. Would it be worthwhile throwing that into my katana combo?
Hard to say, I like mine in another cab, but I think the closed back is doing it more for me (+ 4x12 size) vs the Katana speaker being bad itself.

That said, now I have a clean channel running through the quad (normally the Marshalls are never clean) I have detected a speaker rattle in one of the four, so currently trying to figure out what the heck is causing that :(

20190616_183308.png
20190616_183308.png (98.78 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:

Just done mine. Christ, going back to the combo's own speaker after playing the SG on 'Brown' for half an hour through the Warehouse loaded Suhr cab... It's like playing through a Tandy radio. :-)

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Molly wrote:
chur wrote:

Just done mine. Christ, going back to the combo's own speaker after playing the SG on 'Brown' for half an hour through the Warehouse loaded Suhr cab... It's like playing through a Tandy radio. :-)
Bizarre aye! Not that I play much, but haven't gone back to the internal speaker since.

I guess Matt always said the head with a good cab is a good combination.