VoX AC30 one twelve vs other amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

VoX AC30 one twelve vs other amps

Post by Marshmallow »

Hey all I have an opportunity to grab a box AC30 one twelve. How does it compare to the 2x12 and is it a good pedal platform? I also have other possible options. Fender blues JR, a Peavey classic 20/30 USA or a bugera T5 with a H&S 112 cab.

Any experience with any of these amps?

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: VoX AC30 one twelve vs other amps

Post by Single coil »

That literally sounds like the best result of the amps on offer.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

props to the Blues Jr, if its an old tweed one from a few years ago. mate they are sweet when cranked.
but as per SingleCoil said, the Vox is probably the best bet.

personally I don't rate the peavey Classic as high as the other two, mostly because Peavey tend to make stuff hard to service but they can sound really good. no experience with the Bugera, but I have something behind my face telling me they are made by that company run by a dog on a small island.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Ok:
Would ignore buggerer- they tend to catch fire at random. They’re cheap for a reason.
Fender blooz jr I’ve never got along with - never come across one that sounds good. Ruling it out based on that.
Peavey classic 30 is supposedly a good little unit, but the transformers are too small for the rest of the amp - and some people just refuse to work on them.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Alan from local band Troika has one and for playing post rock it has to take pedals well, sounds amazing!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

either of the peaveys are great pedal platforms, not sure why the bad rep I loved the delta blues I had.

Buggera is behringer, make of that what you will

I'd go Blues Jnr.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Vox all day long!

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Bg wrote:I loved the delta blues I had.
Big 15”?

go for it jb

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Up,

Had the opportunity to test an Albion gs12 amp. And holy shot. The clean is awesome. The ts808 worked well and placed it side by side with a Chris signature Princeton reverb and they sounded similar. Princeton a bit smoother but sound wise similar. Anyone had experiences with these amps?

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

if cost is the issue, go second hand. get a bleedin marshall FFS
ehem,
older marshalls, pre 1990`s ish are the best imo.

How about a Tiny Terror or Dark terror from Orange, the Dark Terror doesn't really gel that well with single coils. heard great things about the Tiny T.

DT is GREAT with humbuckers, yet to try the EQ in the loop.

imo the newer more feature laden Orange Terror amps are a bit noisy compared to the old ones, could be tubes, or all that added stuff no one asked for.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

No combo Tiny Terror sadly :-(

I'd go for a 15 Watt amp rather than 30, personally. I've developed a sort of thing where I run a 15 watt on the edge of breakup, where the amp starts to get hot and sound good. For my amp that is 3.5 on the volume dial and I always leave it there. With a more powerful, louder amp I'd have to be louder and I'd probably start getting told off more.

I personally really like the Blues Junior, although I think new they come with a pretty blah speaker. Chuck a better speaker in and they are great rock'n'roll amps. Noel Gallagher has one in his rig so they can't be bad!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

What sort of price is the vox, and what speaker does it have? I see the 2x12 ones cheap on Facebook all the time. Especially if they have got non celestion speakers.

If you're going for a vox 1x12, would an ac15 be a better option?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

rickenbackerkid wrote:No combo Tiny Terror sadly :-(
That can be arranged.... in Relic Tweed
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Marshmallow wrote:Up,

Had the opportunity to test an Albion gs12 amp. And holy shot. The clean is awesome. The ts808 worked well and placed it side by side with a Chris signature Princeton reverb and they sounded similar. Princeton a bit smoother but sound wise similar. Anyone had experiences with these amps?
Not the best looking of amps (just my opinion) but I like them. Have tried a couple in the past, sounded great. Designed by Steve Grindrod who from memory worked for Marshall for many years

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:Up,

Not the best looking of amps (just my opinion) but I like them. Have tried a couple in the past, sounded great. Designed by Steve Grindrod who from memory worked for Marshall for many years

Yea the looks isn't the best but as far as I know they're hand wired (in china :lol: ) so similar case to the VHT and just by looking at steve's profile he was also involved with vox and worked on mostly the high end amps etc.

They do take pedals really well. I have no complain about the sound and all channels usable. One channel is just a pure clean channel even at max volume and one channel is the bluesy break up channel to mild distortion. Head and cab in ply construction, footswitch, line out, 2 channel and you can switch between 12w and 4w.

There's a brand new one selling for $600 NEW here (Originally $1200) so I thought it might be a nice amp to have for my pedals. I can't decide between this or the AC30. I already have a Mesa Boogie Mark V 5:25 I use for live and a fender champ reverb for my display but the champ doesn't take the pedals so well. Anyway I'm making excuses... I'm really just gassing for an amp.

Also the VOX AC30S1 is in the same price range... about $600used.. HMmm :crazy: Should I buy both? :lol: