Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: Fryette Power Station to amplify unpowered Kemper?

Post by Kris »

True! Well as ive said in the past i might be keen to take it of ya hands if its got a layer of dust on it.Inherited back my old VH100R and that thing only knows tropical cyclone levels of volume.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

chur wrote:
Kris wrote:
Reg18 wrote:I’m no expert but in theory it can act as a straight power amp from what I’ve read. Curious to see what you end up with as I’ve been considering a Kemper Floor unit with a smaller power amp
Like the Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 as well. Would need to sell my whole rig to do it though and I just love my 5e3 so not sure I can follow through.

How’s the cab sound?
Did you ever try running the 5e3 thru chur's badcat unleash? (assuming he turned up to one of the gearfests ive skipped in the last while).way better option than a SD as far as load box/small amp to gig sound goes.
Nah I haven't been a to a gearfest to date. I do still have an Unleash V2 laying about doing not much nowadays. Only way I'm playing my valve amps nowadays is via a Captor and IR loader.
I’ve got a power Attenuator/load box and an IR loader to run with 5e3 already, I was more saying I’d have to sell my 5e3 and all my pedals to be able to afford a Kemper Floor unit. Not sure I’m prepared to let my real amp go just yet but the Kemper is tempting!

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Reg18 wrote:
chur wrote:
Kris wrote:
Did you ever try running the 5e3 thru chur's badcat unleash? (assuming he turned up to one of the gearfests ive skipped in the last while).way better option than a SD as far as load box/small amp to gig sound goes.
Nah I haven't been a to a gearfest to date. I do still have an Unleash V2 laying about doing not much nowadays. Only way I'm playing my valve amps nowadays is via a Captor and IR loader.
I’ve got a power Attenuator/load box and an IR loader to run with 5e3 already, I was more saying I’d have to sell my 5e3 and all my pedals to be able to afford a Kemper Floor unit. Not sure I’m prepared to let my real amp go just yet but the Kemper is tempting!
If not in a rush I'd say save up so you can have both, at least until you have had time to gel with the floor unit to ensure you can live with it alone. You can give it a fair chance then, without pining over the amp you lost.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Kris wrote:True! Well as ive said in the past i might be keen to take it of ya hands if its got a layer of dust on it.Inherited back my old VH100R and that thing only knows tropical cyclone levels of volume.
Oh, I actually had two and sold one a while ago to buy... something that I now forget.. must have been important :eh: I think I'll keep this current one, as no way I can play with the JMP without it.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

chur wrote:
If not in a rush I'd say save up so you can have both, at least until you have had time to gel with the floor unit to ensure you can live with it alone. You can give it a fair chance then, without pining over the amp you lost.
I wish it was the case, got a long standing deal with the wife that I’ve gotta sell something to buy something, she doesn’t care what I buy mind, just as long as the money doesn’t come out of anything except my guitar account!
Actually starting to think maybe an HX Stomp or AX8 would be a cheaper alternative and then I could keep some of my stuff.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Well, I've gone and ordered them. Credit card was straining under the weight... :oops: So this'll be my rig really.

The '2' version of this:

And this:

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Think I'd use the floor unit from inside a large transparent plastic bag if it was a pub gig though :)
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:Think I'd use the floor unit from inside a large transparent plastic bag if it was a pub gig though :)
Already thinking I need to make a perspex cover for it. I'm sure the aftermarket will be all over it. Maybe Durex will make one. :-)

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Is the display on that unit big enough to read/see standing up? Looks a nudge small.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Sweet setup Molly, you new age techo you.
Loving it so far

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:Is the display on that unit big enough to read/see standing up? Looks a nudge small.
Don't know but it apparently does some auto contrast thing depending on conditions.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

I’d love to see Kemper do a similar thing to the HX Stomp, like a smaller version to fit on a pedal board for just loading amp models, forget about the effects and make it half the price! Now that’s something I’d buy in a heart beat.

I like how your rig has the matching green cab and Kemper, looks like it was meant to be a pair.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Reg18 wrote:I’d love to see Kemper do a similar thing to the HX Stomp, like a smaller version to fit on a pedal board for just loading amp models, forget about the effects and make it half the price! Now that’s something I’d buy in a heart beat.

I like how your rig has the matching green cab and Kemper, looks like it was meant to be a pair.
the HXS is awesome, I have both the HXS and KPR. If Kemper comes up with a stomp version the screen will be the size of a fitbit watch :lol:

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

KNNZ wrote:
Reg18 wrote:I’d love to see Kemper do a similar thing to the HX Stomp, like a smaller version to fit on a pedal board for just loading amp models, forget about the effects and make it half the price! Now that’s something I’d buy in a heart beat.

the HXS is awesome, I have both the HXS and KPR. If Kemper comes up with a stomp version the screen will be the size of a fitbit watch :lol:
I need to go try one of these HX Stomps, I saw one go for $700 on FB last week but I wasn’t quite cashed up to grab it. How do you find the amp sounds compared to the Kemper?

Note: Sorry Molly for highjacking your thread and making it a general Kemper chat!

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

$700 was a bargain really! the last one i saw on sale was on TM and it went quickly with a buynow of $1000 even! with a bit of tweaking, honestly it can sound very close to the Kemper, your crowd won't even tell the difference, but with the Kemper you get the feel of a real amp, can't really compare though, the HXS is a minimalist approach, on the fly rig etc