Effects Loop in Valve Amp - Valve or Solid State Driven?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

johnny mullet
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Effects Loop in Valve Amp - Valve or Solid State Driven?

Post by johnny mullet »

Other than cost difference will there really be any advantage of one over the other?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Re: Effects Loop in Valve Amp - Valve or Solid State Driven?

Post by Slowy »

Yeah. Sold state will be cheaper and way more reliable. And at the risk of starting our first flame war in years, you’ll never hear any difference.

You should know that my two main amps are a low watt el 84 amp made 55 years ago and a 10 year old 6L6 hand made masterpiece.
I have no great love of solid state amps though I have 2 very good ones and a modeller is unlikely to get through the door.

If you’re building a righteous traditional bottle amp for pleasure and bragging rights, go valve. If you’re building a functional tool to put to work, go solid state.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

Nice one slowy. I hear what you’re saying. Solid state will always be more reliable and less likely to bite back. The difference is do you want a real girl or a blow up one where you can add real hair, add some vibration and some moans etc and it feels almost the same as the real thing.
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 am Yeah. Sold state will be cheaper and way more reliable. And at the risk of starting our first flame war in years, you’ll never hear any difference.

You should know that my two main amps are a low watt el 84 amp made 55 years ago and a 10 year old 6L6 hand made masterpiece.
I have no great love of solid state amps though I have 2 very good ones and a modeller is unlikely to get through the door.

If you’re building a righteous traditional bottle amp for pleasure and bragging rights, go valve. If you’re building a functional tool to put to work, go solid state.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

johnny mullet wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:33 am Nice one slowy. I hear what you’re saying. Solid state will always be more reliable and less likely to bite back. The difference is do you want a real girl or a blow up one where you can add real hair, add some vibration and some moans etc and it feels almost the same as the real thing.
You’re on to it mate!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

It depends on whether you want a complex buffered, active loop or a passive unbuffered one. Solid state is the way to go if you want the active+buffering, a cathode-follower tube driver works well for buffering on the 'Send'-end, or you can use the totally passive route and just insert a couple switched jacks into the signal chain for a lazy passive & unbuffered option.

I'm sure there are loads of other examples, but the SS loop on a Fender HR Deville/Deluxe is an easy one to emulate and usually works well, provided you don't overdrive either end of the loop with too much signal.