Almost my birthday why not get a NAD

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Almost my birthday why not get a NAD

Post by mr_sooty »

Slowy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:19 pm Nice, the AC10 is a great amp. We have one at my shop and it makes every guitar sound awesome.
No, that's your fingers.
Haha I wish.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:22 pm I miss the little Vox AC4 I had, it was such a great sounding amp, and this is that on steroids (with reverb), am super stoked with it!!

I reckon it sounds significantly better than my old AC15 did, even after swapping tubes and speaker... and it weighs half as much, epic.
Was that the little Re Tolex Ac4 ?...... That is a nice little amp ( currently living next to my lounge sofa ).
I too have previously had Ac15's; both the first handwired with the ef86, which sounded great, hum aside and the later series handwired which sounded scratchy and abrasive, depite taking out the bright cap.

Have run this through quads of Greenbacks, H3055's, H3075's and H75's and it sounds best through the internal 10" so top marks for that too.
This on steroids must be very cool :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 pm Are you Sagittarian too? <3

Happy NAD, Jaybee!
YESSIR!! 5th December :thumbup: and thanks!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:57 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:22 pm I miss the little Vox AC4 I had, it was such a great sounding amp, and this is that on steroids (with reverb), am super stoked with it!!

I reckon it sounds significantly better than my old AC15 did, even after swapping tubes and speaker... and it weighs half as much, epic.
Was that the little Re Tolex Ac4 ?...... That is a nice little amp ( currently living next to my lounge sofa ).
I too have previously had Ac15's; both the first handwired with the ef86, which sounded great, hum aside and the later series handwired which sounded scratchy and abrasive, depite taking out the bright cap.

Have run this through quads of Greenbacks, H3055's, H3075's and H75's and it sounds best through the internal 10" so top marks for that too.
This on steroids must be very cool :thumbup:
Yup! The red one, such a beauty, punches well above its weight, I think it surprised a few people at the gearfest I took it to :mental: Would be interesting to side by side it with the AC10, the 10 definitely has more clean headroom but for bedroom use that doesn't really matter to me, the 10 does have some serious gain on tap but it gets REALLY loud really quick when you wind up the gain so I think I'll probably run it fairly clean and just use an OD pedal to dirty it up :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Jonny »

IMOCD wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:40 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:36 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:19 pm Nice, the AC10 is a great amp. We have one at my shop and it makes every guitar sound awesome.
That rich harmonic content, I do seem to keep coming back to Vox amps...
They certainly have their own vibe going on. There's a tb35 for sale on TM currently. Would love a schwang on that. 6l6 bottles from memory, and a huge sidestep from tradition for vox.
That would have been my TB35, and I would have been more than happy to let you have a belt on it. I would’ve been curious to hear what other players thought about it.

Obviously tone is a very subjective thing, but that amp on paper sounded WAAAAAY better than it did to me in person. It didn’t have any of the Vox bite and ring you’d expect, and none of the Fender-ish richness you’d hope for. Ended up running it through a 2 x 12 of UK Blues, and while an improvement, I couldn’t get away from a certain boxy sound. That was an experiment that cost me to move on.

I really liked the concept and wanted it to work...
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Jonny »

Haven't tried an AC10 yet, but quite curious to try.

I've played mostly Vox amps for years now and find the AC15 to really fit me well - while I've sold a few amps off, I still have a Heritage handwired which I love, and a CC1 which I bought in Tokyo in 2005 and keep for partly sentimental reasons. Also it seems to be voiced a little darker than the Heritage, and they play nicely together in stereo.

I did have an AC4 head for quite a few years, and even though I enjoyed it and even gigged with it when there was the opportunity to mike up, it really seemed to lack a certain fullness compared to the AC15s, even when played into a 2 x 12. From what I understand it is quite a different circuit from the typical Vox AC design, and to my ears the tone is not so similar.

Glad you're enjoying the AC10 - it sounds like it has found that balance between the classic AC sound and more manageable home / studio / small stage volumes. :thumbup:
Yes, M'Lady.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I didn't like my AC15 with the greenback, swapped it out for an eminence wizard and it sounded so good! But the AC10 with its stock speaker just sounds brilliant, you should definitely try one!!