Fender Princeton in NZ?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dojodaniel
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by dojodaniel »

I'm looking to purchase a Fender Princeton in NZ but they usually sell for around 2.5 - 3k which is slightly out of my budget.

I'm happy to pay close to 2-2.3k at most.

Are there any alternative tube amps in NZ that have the same kind of tone? I"m open to copies. I heard some people mention head strong amps and the lil king looks great. I don't know where in NZ I can try them out or purchase though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have considered the Blues JR but the sound just doesn't do it for me.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by robthemac »

I heard rumours of a forum-built Princeton floating around. Think you're unfortunately looking at more than $2300 for something new though.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

dojodaniel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:32 pm I'm looking to purchase a Fender Princeton in NZ but they usually sell for around 2.5 - 3k which is slightly out of my budget.

Are there any alternative tube amps in NZ that have the same kind of tone? I"m open to copies. I heard some people mention head strong amps and the lil king looks great. I don't know where in NZ I can try them out or purchase though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can build you one (a "proper" hand built hand wired clone - e.g. pics below). BG can build you the combo cab. I can price up a completed working chassis which would have all valves, foot switch, reverb tank, reverb leads, mounting brackets etc.
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (606.16 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
PR Chassis Topside.jpg
PR Chassis Topside.jpg (191.77 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg (208.15 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I can vouch for MikeC and BG's quality workmanship and commitment to customer satisfaction :) I had them build me a Deluxe Reverb head +2x12 and it is supreme. Cheaper or similar price to a new Fender reissue, but you know, actually built like it should be :thumbup:

dojodaniel
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time

Post by dojodaniel »

MikeC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm
dojodaniel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:32 pm I'm looking to purchase a Fender Princeton in NZ but they usually sell for around 2.5 - 3k which is slightly out of my budget.

I can build you one (a "proper" hand built hand wired clone - e.g. pics below). BG can build you the combo cab. I can price up a completed working chassis which would have all valves, foot switch, reverb tank, reverb leads, mounting brackets etc.
Front.jpg
PR Chassis Topside.jpg
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg
I’m very interested. What’s the best way to contact you?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

dojodaniel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:41 am
MikeC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm

Front.jpg
PR Chassis Topside.jpg
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg
I’m very interested. What’s the best way to contact you?
Phone me 021-827-957 or PM me on this forum.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

+2 on Mike, I have a great Deluxe Reverb (NOT RI!) from him that sorts my Fender amp spectrum out nicely. Talk to him about mod options on the circuit(s) too, can't recommend that discussion enough. If you go PR, Mike can steer you to a reduced bass/reduced blocking distortion change which will allow you a little more headroom when pushed.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

+3 for Mike and BG builds. I have a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 from Mike and cab from BG and it is just fantastic. Mike added global power scaling and a switch to increase the volume before beak up or have standard. Only amp I turn on these days.

ImageIMG_1899 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I might have to look at power scaling for mine, I might get to use it then ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

Want a 5e3 soooo badly, but yeah, the volume needed to get them to work their magic means no go for me. :cry:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

I can add power scaling to an already built 5E3 amp.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

:oops: I have never had mine full out, I live in a duplex with folks all around me. I have had it to 6 on the power scale and it was bloody loud and did the 5E3 thing and does the same at 2-3 which is where I normally have it and just use the normal volumes/treble as needed to find the sound I want. 2 1/2 years and no complaints. 'Tis a truly wonderful thing.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Princetons are such great amps, much want!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

MikeC wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:26 pm I can add power scaling to an already built 5E3 amp.
If it doesn't sell I'll be looking into it ;) Its too loud for me here. Having said which, when I move I'm looking for somewhere that will have adequate soundproofing :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:03 pm
MikeC wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:26 pm I can add power scaling to an already built 5E3 amp.
If it doesn't sell I'll be looking into it ;) Its too loud for me here. Having said which, when I move I'm looking for somewhere that will have adequate soundproofing :D
I was tempted by Lostininverness’ 5e3 but it was just way too loud for my bedroom, my Laney champ does the business at manageable volume.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.