Speaker / Amp impedance mismatch...

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1324 times
Been liked: 885 times

Re: Speaker / Amp impedance mismatch...

Post by MikeC »

You should always match your speaker impedance with the amp's impedance. This is safe and provides for maximum power to the speaker. But for a short time you should be OK to connect your 4-ohm speaker to your Pro Junior. Just don't dime it/thrash it. Turn the volume up slowly to ensure the speaker is sounding OK (i.e. it has no sound issue/rubs or it makes no sound whatsoever). Get the right impedance speaker back in there asap.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

I have an Lpad attenuator, would it help the situation, or make it worse?
Nothing to see here.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Miza wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:58 pm I have an Lpad attenuator, would it help the situation, or make it worse?
Wattage of that L-Pad???
Much better if you just plug the speaker straight in IMO. Follow what I said & also ensure you have good connections.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:47 pm Probably a dumb question, but what if you just jammed a high-current 4 Ohm resistor in series with the speaker's coil?
This will work. But you want a big fat resistor that can handle the power. And you want to mount it securely.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

a 100% mismatch is fine, but your PJ will be working very hard to drive a 4ohm speaker. And the PJ's (if stock) have a cute small OT, so it's probably not the best practice. However I'd say go for it, but maybe don't use it like that all the time.

Also - if you're interested in a speaker for the PJ, I have a Celestion Vintage 10 I've been meaning to sell. It makes a PJ sound really big compared to the stock speaker.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:43 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:47 pm Probably a dumb question, but what if you just jammed a high-current 4 Ohm resistor in series with the speaker's coil?
This will work. But you want a big fat resistor that can handle the power. And you want to mount it securely.
Something like
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m03SHMs
Nothing to see here.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Exactly. That's a nice one to use as you can mount it in the cab with a couple screws and use some heat shrink to cover the wires.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1214 times
Been liked: 1407 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

If you use resistor then half the output power will be lost as heat in the resistor, it will essentially act as a silent, second speaker ;-)

Don't bother, just try the 4 ohm as Mike says.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I highly recommend the Iron Man attenuator ( big version ). It's particularly transparent , will take 100watts and has a z matcher so you can set the input to the impedance of your amp's output and the output to the impedance of your speaker. Doesn't have a 2 ohm setting though so Super Reverb users are still in the land of the fucked.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Dharmajester wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:50 pm I highly recommend the Iron Man attenuator ( big version ). It's particularly transparent , will take 100watts and has a z matcher so you can set the input to the impedance of your amp's output and the output to the impedance of your speaker. Doesn't have a 2 ohm setting though so Super Reverb users are still in the land of the fucked.
That's a pricey solution!

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

MikeC wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:52 pm
Dharmajester wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:50 pm I highly recommend the Iron Man attenuator ( big version ). It's particularly transparent , will take 100watts and has a z matcher so you can set the input to the impedance of your amp's output and the output to the impedance of your speaker. Doesn't have a 2 ohm setting though so Super Reverb users are still in the land of the fucked.
Indeed. The most I've spent so far on this cab is $25 on screws and bolts.

What cable do people recommend for making a speaker cables? Jaycar have a 16AWG speaker cable, but I've read ordinary power cable is also fine?
Nothing to see here.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 699 times

Post by AiRdAd »

My Fryette power station has got an input ohms selector (4,8,16) and output ohms selector (4,8,16) - I wonder if that means I can mismatch the speakers with the amp, as long as I've got the sectors correct. I always match the amp with the cabinet, but I should probably read the manual :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1214 times
Been liked: 1407 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Miza wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:50 pm
MikeC wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:52 pm
Indeed. The most I've spent so far on this cab is $25 on screws and bolts.

What cable do people recommend for making a speaker cables? Jaycar have a 16AWG speaker cable, but I've read ordinary power cable is also fine?
5amp power cord is fine
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1112 times
Been liked: 1433 times

Post by robthemac »

AiRdAd wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:56 am My Fryette power station has got an input ohms selector (4,8,16) and output ohms selector (4,8,16) - I wonder if that means I can mismatch the speakers with the amp, as long as I've got the sectors correct. I always match the amp with the cabinet, but I should probably read the manual :-)
Yeah pretty sure the PS is designed for exactly this, can use any amp and cab.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.