IK Multimedia ToneX

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: IK Multimedia ToneX

Post by Kiwiaxe »

redgierocker wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:08 pm I got the tonex - it's pretty awesome!
Definitely liking some of the tone models; the "Overdrive Special" is based on a Dumble and it sounds fantastic.

I find the software so confusing to use though. Just editing a preset to add reverb is quite an ordeal. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

Here's what I'm doing:
- find the preset on the pedal in the Librarian view
- copy it to my local library
- click "Home" then add reverb (or make whatever other changes)
- click the very obscure, and hard to find "save" icon next to the preset. Click save -> okay
- go back to the librarian
- change the "Tone models browser" selection back to Presets
- drag the tone model back to the pedal...

Surely this isn't the right way to do it?

I realise I can edit on the pedal, but I couldn't figure out how to change the reverb type on the pedal.
Lack of ease of use remains the main reason I don’t find myself using mine very much. But then, kemper’s first few years went by without an editor - to our constant annoyance - so I’m hoping IKM will realise this is its biggest isssue and fix it.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

redgierocker wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:08 pm I got the tonex - it's pretty awesome!
Definitely liking some of the tone models; the "Overdrive Special" is based on a Dumble and it sounds fantastic.

I find the software so confusing to use though. Just editing a preset to add reverb is quite an ordeal. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

Here's what I'm doing:
- find the preset on the pedal in the Librarian view
- copy it to my local library
- click "Home" then add reverb (or make whatever other changes)
- click the very obscure, and hard to find "save" icon next to the preset. Click save -> okay
- go back to the librarian
- change the "Tone models browser" selection back to Presets
- drag the tone model back to the pedal...

Surely this isn't the right way to do it?

I realise I can edit on the pedal, but I couldn't figure out how to change the reverb type on the pedal.
To change the reverb type of a preset using the pedal:

1. Push the knob labelled 'Parameter' (Bottom leftmost knob). The display will now show what additional parameters to edit.
2. Scroll through the additional parameters by turning that knob. You can change the reverb type by scrolling until the display shows 'REV TYPE'.
3. Push the knob again to see what reverb type the preset has (e.g. 'PLATE')
4. Scroll through the different reverb types and select the one by pushing the knob.
5. Go back out of the 'additional parameters' menu by pushing the 'BACK' knob (top right knob).

The Tonex Pedal User Guide should show you the complete list of additional parameters you can edit using the pedal.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

Navigating the software is the worst part of the Tone X, matter of fact I can’t even get it to download anymore. The tone is arguably better than the modellers I’ve tried so happy to pursue with it for now. I’m really hoping there is a Helix 2 soon that has capture technology. I’m sure their version of this would be much more user friendly. Perfect world would be HX Stomp 2 with double the DSP and capture tech as well.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 24 times

Post by redgierocker »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:08 pm
To change the reverb type of a preset using the pedal:

1. Push the knob labelled 'Parameter' (Bottom leftmost knob). The display will now show what additional parameters to edit.
2. Scroll through the additional parameters by turning that knob. You can change the reverb type by scrolling until the display shows 'REV TYPE'.
3. Push the knob again to see what reverb type the preset has (e.g. 'PLATE')
4. Scroll through the different reverb types and select the one by pushing the knob.
5. Go back out of the 'additional parameters' menu by pushing the 'BACK' knob (top right knob).

The Tonex Pedal User Guide should show you the complete list of additional parameters you can edit using the pedal.
Thanks - that's perfect !
I should probably read the manual :D

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

I have the toneX Capture on the way. Me and the band mates are recording a couple of new songs and thought it would be a good idea to spend a good few hours miking up our cabs and getting the tones into our computers and my Kemper so we can track at home.
I've been impressed with the demos I've seen. The captures seem to be slightly better than what the Kemper can do. Always chasing that extra few % eh

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

I've been having a play with profiles from ToneNet, and man there's some great stuff on there, also some junk.
I usually prefer proper miked up rigs over the direct ones that need IRs added.
The Marshall stuff is bang on, and dare I say it, better than a lot of the best Marshall profiles I've tried through the Kemper. The ToneX captures have more kerrang and bite in the upper mids, very cool to play!
So this afternoon I profiled a couple of tonex captures into the Kemper and they're virtually identical.
Tonex captures full time for me from now on.

Hollow
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Hollow »

griff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 pm I've been having a play with profiles from ToneNet, and man there's some great stuff on there, also some junk.
The Marshall stuff is bang on, and dare I say it, better than a lot of the best Marshall profiles I've tried through the Kemper. The ToneX captures have more kerrang and bite in the upper mids, very cool to play!
So this afternoon I profiled a couple of tonex captures into the Kemper and they're virtually identical.
That's great! Any particular Marshall models you recommend? With 26k models, it's a bit hard to know where to start!

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

griff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 pm I've been having a play with profiles from ToneNet, and man there's some great stuff on there, also some junk.
I’m more than a little confused here!

Are you saying you used the kemper to profile your tonex and that resulted in profiles on the kemper that sounded virtually identical to the tonex running the profiled tonex captures?

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:53 pm

Are you saying you used the kemper to profile your tonex and that resulted in profiles on the kemper that sounded virtually identical to the tonex running the profiled tonex captures?
Yeah so I bought the capture box because I want to do my own amp captures. Got access to ToneNet and tried some captures out through my interface. Installed my fave ones into the Kemper using the computer amp Sim profiling method in the manual. They sound and feel EXACTLY the same.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Hollow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:49 pm
That's great! Any particular Marshall models you recommend? With 26k models, it's a bit hard to know where to start!
Yep will message ya tomorrow when I'm back on

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

griff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:15 pm

Yeah so I bought the capture box because I want to do my own amp captures. Got access to ToneNet and tried some captures out through my interface. Installed my fave ones into the Kemper using the computer amp Sim profiling method in the manual. They sound and feel EXACTLY the same.
Interesting- I’ve never tried this

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:50 pm
griff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:15 pm

Interesting- I’ve never tried this
The main reason I did this is to try the tones live. Got a gig tomorrow so will load up some new scenes and see how they do. Also, I like the tweakability options on the Kemper. But yeah, Tonex has impressed me. Kemper is amazing too but I think they might have to up their profiling game.. it's just not as good.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Once I got over the interface learning curve and software quirks I’m really liking the Tone X. No experience with a Kemper but it certainly has some noticeable improvements over my HX Stomp amps.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Anyone got tips on creating headroom on captures?
I have noticed some captures have more headroom built in and my drives breathe a bit better.
One I was using this morning Tone Junkie Sampson era Badcat wasn’t the case, I lowered the input trim to 5, (from 8.5) and lowered the gain to 3 ish but was still struggling to get more volume from overdrive stacking compared to just more saturation. I noticed one of the Tone Junkie Deluxe reverb captures just had more headroom To start with, no adjustment of trim or gain required. Adding a boost gets louder and dirtier not just more saturated.
Is this baked into each capture so fighting a loosing battle, choose a more suitable capture is best? Or is there other adjustments like the built in compressor I could mess with?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

https://guitarbomb.com/2024/04/23/ik-mu ... lqkM1sKKsX

Not sure if this legit or not, it hasn't been officially confirmed.
Screenshot 2024-04-24 075641.png
Screenshot 2024-04-24 075641.png (229.08 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.