Nasty Amp Hum

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Re: Nasty Amp Hum

Post by Slowy »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:11 am
Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:03 pm The only change was in swapping V1 this morning and that's when the hum started. I never got to hear the replacement.
I took out a 12au7 and replaced it with a 12ax7.

The hum is there regardless and it gets to a volume that makes me very concerned for the speaker so mercifully, it's a brief experience.
So what happens when you put the old tube back in? Could well be a crappy tube.
No change. First thing I did.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Slowy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:25 pm
NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:11 am
Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:03 pm The only change was in swapping V1 this morning and that's when the hum started. I never got to hear the replacement.
I took out a 12au7 and replaced it with a 12ax7.

The hum is there regardless and it gets to a volume that makes me very concerned for the speaker so mercifully, it's a brief experience.
So what happens when you put the old tube back in? Could well be a crappy tube.
No change. First thing I did.
Bums. Could well be crud in the tube socket. Suggest cleaning that out with contact cleaner and pipe cleaner if you have the stuff. On older tubes I've also rubbed the pins in brass wool to remove any corrosion as well.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 918 times

Post by Marshmallow »

In Japan, most amp hums are caused by poor house grounding and when the amp is near an internet router. I usually tell them to move the location of the amp and it usually works. Sometimes the unshielded wire coming from volume or input are too close to the components. Could also be the power tube slipping so uneven bias if your amp is a Push pull

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Assume you’ve tried banging your fist on the top of the amp?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

murky wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:31 pm Assume you’ve tried banging your fist on the top of the amp?
Works every time for me
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

Uncle Doug says, "listen to the frequency of the hum and it will help you diagnose the problem."

Preamp valves rarely cause hum. The problem is more likely to be something inside the box or the power valves.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Litterick wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:00 pm Uncle Doug says, "listen to the frequency of the hum and it will help you diagnose the problem."

Preamp valves rarely cause hum. The problem is more likely to be something inside the box or the power valves.
If the hum is 50Hz it's typically from the heaters. If 100Hz its typically noisy DC (B+) - i.e. bad filter cap(s). A scope or multi-meter that can display frequency is usually necessary. Slowy's hum started suddenly after changing a pre amp tube. Very often a change or a fault that suddenly develops is due to the last thing that occurred before the change or fault occurred. Even if it seems unrelated.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MikeC wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:21 pm
Litterick wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:00 pm Uncle Doug says, "listen to the frequency of the hum and it will help you diagnose the problem."

If the hum is 50Hz it's typically from the heaters. If 100Hz its typically noisy DC (B+) - i.e. bad filter cap(s). A scope or multi-meter that can display frequency is usually necessary. Slowy's hum started suddenly after changing a pre amp tube. Very often a change or a fault that suddenly develops is due to the last thing that occurred before the change or fault occurred. Even if it seems unrelated.
My hum's not like that. It's a deep, loud, speaker cone flapping dead short sort of hum. I'm not going to turn it on again to play around with because this isn't a hum you can tolerate and I don't think the speaker would for long either.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Slowy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:49 pm

My hum's not like that. It's a deep, loud, speaker cone flapping dead short sort of hum. I'm not going to turn it on again to play around with because this isn't a hum you can tolerate and I don't think the speaker would for long either.
The way you describe it sounds like "motor-boating", a very low frequency oscillation. I reckon you should get it to a tech.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Divide and conquer! Pull out all of the preamp tubes - just leave the power tubes in and power it up to see if it hums. If it does, the issue is in the power amp section. If the hum disappears it's the preamp, start adding one preamp tube at a time, starting from the socket closest to the power tubes. Note the one that makes the hum come back.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MikeC wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:51 pm
Slowy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:49 pm

The way you describe it sounds like "motor-boating", a very low frequency oscillation. I reckon you should get it to a tech.
It's definitely a Tech job.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:03 pm Divide and conquer! Pull out all of the preamp tubes - just leave the power tubes in and power it up to see if it hums. If it does, the issue is in the power amp section. If the hum disappears it's the preamp, start adding one preamp tube at a time, starting from the socket closest to the power tubes. Note the one that makes the hum come back.
This I can do. Instinct tell me it's power amp but I'll do this and report back. Not tonight though.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:03 pm Divide and conquer! Pull out all of the preamp tubes - just leave the power tubes in and power it up to see if it hums. If it does, the issue is in the power amp section. If the hum disappears it's the preamp, start adding one preamp tube at a time, starting from the socket closest to the power tubes. Note the one that makes the hum come back.
20230819_161556.jpg
20230819_161556.jpg (221.77 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
D'ya reckon this might have something to do with it? V2.
:roll:

Interestingly for those of you who know and love this amp, it had been running a 12AY7 in V1. The 12AX7s I tried didn't impress so I've gone for my go-to 5751.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Should have gone to specsavers
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

You replace the tube in V1 but manage to bend the pin in V2, now I'm confused.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...