Fender joins the multi-effects and modelling world!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Re: Fender joins the multi-effects and modelling world!

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Interestingly, Neural dropped the price on the Quad Cortex on the same day Fender released this... they're obviously feeling the pressure. Think all their prayers will be on plugin compatibility. Which just got a step closer after almost seeming like it would never happen.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:47 am Interestingly, Neural dropped the price on the Quad Cortex on the same day Fender released this... they're obviously feeling the pressure. Think all their prayers will be on plugin compatibility. Which just got a step closer after almost seeming like it would never happen.
Aha! When I saw the Fender one and, like others here, thought the knobs were a bit cozy, I thought I had seen it somewhere else before. Now I remember it's the Quad Cortex! Fender's form factor is very similar to QC's actually.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Where does the Tone-X compare to this? It's cheaper at around $1,000 NZ
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced by it. The interface is the closest anyone has got so far to physical amps and pedals. It looks like there is crazy depth for those who want it, but also appears be straightforward to dial in a simple tone. The ins and outs make it able to be integrated into all sorts of set-ups, even existing boards with high-end pitch- and time-based effects. MIDI ins and outs would allow me, for example to switch presents on my MD-500 and Volante as the preset within the Fender changes. I suspect you could probably have the Fender and your other pedals behind stage and just use a MIDI controller to manage your setlist live.

None of this will matter if it sounds like shit, obviously.

The product that would really interest me is the BlackStar Amped equivalent from Fender. Imagine a cheaper version that ditches all the fancy effects and thousands of IRs and just gives you one or two Tone Master amp models, effects loops, a solid-state power amp to drive a guitar cab and a DI-out with one or two IR options.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I like the UX on the Fender thing. It looks nice and consistent, and fairly easy to tweak on the board. Not convinced about the sounds though. I have had a listen on multiple headphones and monitors. None of the demos I have listened to made me want to even consider one. Just to be sure, I hunted down some of my favourite tone demos on the Kemper, and verified it's not just my memory/hearing.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

This was my thought as well

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:20 am The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced by it. The interface is the closest anyone has got so far to physical amps and pedals. It looks like there is crazy depth for those who want it, but also appears be straightforward to dial in a simple tone. The ins and outs make it able to be integrated into all sorts of set-ups, even existing boards with high-end pitch- and time-based effects. MIDI ins and outs would allow me, for example to switch presents on my MD-500 and Volante as the preset within the Fender changes. I suspect you could probably have the Fender and your other pedals behind stage and just use a MIDI controller to manage your setlist live.

None of this will matter if it sounds like shit, obviously.

The product that would really interest me is the BlackStar Amped equivalent from Fender. Imagine a cheaper version that ditches all the fancy effects and thousands of IRs and just gives you one or two Tone Master amp models, effects loops, a solid-state power amp to drive a guitar cab and a DI-out with one or two IR options.
The Headrush Pedalboard has been doing the touchscreen pedal and amp thing for 6 years? maybe longer? I'd far rather have a proven unit like the Quad Cortex or Kemper stage which are both toan monsters!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Does it djent? Amusing reactions
Last edited by Cdog on Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Cdog wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:01 pm
I know nothing about metal, is that good?

Just heard RJ Ronquillo and Brett Kingman, the two people who usually do really well with demos. They have convinced me to buy a few bits of gear. Even their demo sounded unpleasant to me!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

codedog wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:10 pm
Just heard RJ Ronquillo and Brett Kingman, the two people who usually do really well with demos. They have convinced me to buy a few bits of gear. Even their demo sounded unpleasant to me!
I don't know if this sounds good or not. These new release vids usually go with presets, but he does a bit of a dive and tweak.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Cdog wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:01 pm

Does it djent? Amusing reactions
It kinda sounds like pre-HD500 era Line 6 Pod :rofl:

I'm waiting for a Pete Thorn video, if he can't make it sound good then they might as well chuck it in the bin!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Honest opinions in the conclusion worth listening to.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:24 pm Honest opinions in the conclusion worth listening to.

That was going to be my next watch. I'll have a sneak peek at the conclusion now :winky:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I wonder if there are any tweed amp models in there, especially Bassman. I'd love to hear how that sounds in this thing.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

codedog wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:59 am I like the UX on the Fender thing. It looks nice and consistent, and fairly easy to tweak on the board. Not convinced about the sounds though. I have had a listen on multiple headphones and monitors. None of the demos I have listened to made me want to even consider one. Just to be sure, I hunted down some of my favourite tone demos on the Kemper, and verified it's not just my memory/hearing.
Kemper still top of the heap imo. Liquid Profiling has pushed it into the stratosphere