NAD: Princeton Reverb

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 130 times

Re: NAD: Princeton Reverb

Post by vintage52 »

Slowy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:58 pm
Something that intrigues me: I have a Flint as my main reverb source but I never use the trem side of it. With the Princeton though, I find myself dialling in some wobble; it just sounds so good!
I have the same feels for the Origin Effects Revival Trem.

While not an amp but an emulation of a Brownface Deluxe, that wobble grabs me everytime - it's so musical and engaging.
Wellington

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

princeton1.jpg
princeton1.jpg (799.59 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Spent a coupe of hours auditioning a pedalboard for the Princeton; some interesting things were learned:

I use a Boss GE-7 on everything. Princeton doesn't need it.
The Flint likewise is redundant.
Timmy does Timmy, especially good if I want to pretend I'm playing an angry little Tweed.
It's a sweet amp already so the Echorec and Hardwire provide the full sugar rush.

The Nobels ODR..... :wtf: I'd read ODR's were popular with Fender amp users. I think I'm going to nail this one to the cabinet, it's not going anywhere! When you're done slow dancing in a burning room and want to get your gristle sizzling, the ODR has everything well in hand. I'm never separating that amp and pedal again.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Its purdy! :)

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:34 pm princeton1.jpg

Spent a coupe of hours auditioning a pedalboard for the Princeton; some interesting things were learned:

I use a Boss GE-7 on everything. Princeton doesn't need it.
The Flint likewise is redundant.
Timmy does Timmy, especially good if I want to pretend I'm playing an angry little Tweed.
It's a sweet amp already so the Echorec and Hardwire provide the full sugar rush.

The Nobels ODR..... :wtf: I'd read ODR's were popular with Fender amp users. I think I'm going to nail this one to the cabinet, it's not going anywhere! When you're done slow dancing in a burning room and want to get your gristle sizzling, the ODR has everything well in hand. I'm never separating that amp and pedal again.
Interested in hearing the ODR on your Prince
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Sick leave is a beautiful thing.
Spent this morning sampling the Princeton with 1x12 and 2x12 speakers. They make it much bigger with a rounder, more controlled bass.

So no surprises then.

Plugging back into the 10" Jensen, it was noticeable how small everything had suddenly become. But that smallness was balanced and detailed and manageable in a lounge room. Once my ears adjusted, it seemed exactly right. Everything I needed was there at a comfortable volume. Stick a mic in front and put it in a mix and it could be as huge as you wanted. No wonder these were so popular in studios.

So the investigation continues but evidence that this is anything other than my perfect amp is still to be found.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

10” speakers in Fenders amps are fantastic. They do indeed provide balance - although arguably the wrong type and there will be a treble spike. A nice AlNiCo helps tame that.

Bruce, we need an A/B against the original. Next time you’re down this way, please bring it! I’ll do the reverse.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

I'll bring the older brother (2x10 Mike-built Deluxe Reverb) and an attenuator. Be interesting to do a comparison with some ability to match output volumes. Otherwise it might be a situation of "more compressed = better" in favour of the Princeton or "louder = better" in favour of the Deluxe.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:06 am 10” speakers in Fenders amps are fantastic. They do indeed provide balance - although arguably the wrong type and there will be a treble spike. A nice AlNiCo helps tame that.

Bruce, we need an A/B against the original. Next time you’re down this way, please bring it! I’ll do the reverse.
Oh yes!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

20231027_113555.jpg
20231027_113555.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 4458 times
20231027_113745.jpg
20231027_113745.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 4458 times
20231027_113819.jpg
20231027_113819.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4458 times
I could get used to this not working lark.

Jay passed by this morning and brought a playmate. Interesting comparison.

Let me start by saying the amps are pretty much the same; the differences are in the speakers. Jay's has a P12Q and mine a C10Q.

The 12 is louder, not hugely but noticeably and it has more bottom end. Also to my ears, it has slightly spikier tops.

I think the 10 is more versatile. Without the extra low end, it works well with acoustic as well as electric instruments but really, there's not much in it. If both were available and I was heading for a gig, I'd take the 12. Playing at home or recording, the 10 would get an outing.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:06 am 20231027_113555.jpg20231027_113745.jpg20231027_113819.jpg

I could get used to this not working lark.

Jay passed by this morning and brought a playmate. Interesting comparison.

Let me start by saying the amps are pretty much the same; the differences are in the speakers. Jay's has a P12Q and mine a C10Q.

The 12 is louder, not hugely but noticeably and it has more bottom end. Also to my ears, it has slightly spikier tops.

I think the 10 is more versatile. Without the extra low end, it works well with acoustic as well as electric instruments but really, there's not much in it. If both were available and I was heading for a gig, I'd take the 12. Playing at home or recording, the 10 would get an outing.
I have the P12Q in one of my cabs. Love it, but it can be quite spiky!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

I should point out that the difference in height is due to my one having inferior feet :lol:

Slowie's one has big rubber feet and mine little metal ones

That's where the spikey sound comes from...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

None of this is helping my Princeton GAS
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:04 pm I should point out that the difference in height is due to my one having inferior feet :lol:

Slowie's one has big rubber feet and mine little metal ones

That's where the spikey sound comes from...
You've really got a foot fetish about this, don't you... :rofl:

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Great to see you are enjoying that amp Bruce, certainly seems to have seen more action since you have had it than it did in the whole time it lived here....

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Mr Bungle »

My ‘66 Princeton Reverb and ‘70 Princeton. The 66 came from North Carolina around 10 years ago. A lady’s estate. Apparently she had a ‘57 Strat as well :crazy:

Silverface from Iowa maybe 15 years ago. Just love these amps.