where have all the fancy amps gone

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

goldtop0
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: where have all the fancy amps gone

Post by goldtop0 »

GrantB wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:42 pm
shednz wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:29 pm Well to summarise, fancy amps turned digital, not all cracked up to be, hard to buy in living crisis, all owned by Conway, run out of parts, temptresses for playing with ones 9 lber and something about crunchy pants. A worthy discussion, thanks all. I'll keep my eyes out to match the swart and redplate with a kantana.
One thing we forgot to ask in the rush to derail the thread; what sort of fancy amp would be likely to spin your wheels?

One that sounds like early Clapton :lol:
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

goldtop0 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:00 am
shednz wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:29 pm Well to summarise, fancy amps turned digital, not all cracked up to be, hard to buy in living crisis, all owned by Conway, run out of parts, temptresses for playing with ones 9 lber and something about crunchy pants. A worthy discussion, thanks all. I'll keep my eyes out to match the swart and redplate with a kantana.
One thing we forgot to ask in the rush to derail the thread; what sort of fancy amp would be likely to spin your wheels?

One that sounds like early Clapton :lol:
https://gdsamps.com/

I have the 18W 1x12 combo from this guy. Basically a 1974 clone with an output transformer that doesn't routinely shit itself.

The 1x12 single channel combo for US$1200 would be a bargain if you don't need the tremolo or rhythm channel.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

shed
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shed »

Well, what started this was acting too slow on the handwired DR that was for sale on here - been looking for one of these for a while but also lusting for the big brother vibrolux - rare as it seems these are in NZ. But my amp fetish means I get interested in anything classy.

Lately, i've been switching from years playing strats and teles to a les paul, which I love to play in terms of guitar feel (think it's the short scale and fretwire) but I struggle to get a tone I'm satisfied with on the lester on any amp easy enough to lug around, so that has also started the latest search.

Oh, and I enjoyed the derailing banter.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

shed wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:08 am
Well, what started this was acting too slow on the handwired DR that was for sale on here - been looking for one of these for a while but also lusting for the big brother vibrolux - rare as it seems these are in NZ. But my amp fetish means I get interested in anything classy.

Lately, i've been switching from years playing strats and teles to a les paul, which I love to play in terms of guitar feel (think it's the short scale and fretwire) but I struggle to get a tone I'm satisfied with on the lester on any amp easy enough to lug around, so that has also started the latest search.

Are you after Blackface mostly, then?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

shed
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shed »

robthemac wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:29 am
shed wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:08 am

Are you after Blackface mostly, then?
I definitely lean that way it seems. The only tweed I have left these days is a cloned tweed bandmaster, which I find a bit barky with the les paul at gigging volume. I also enjoy an ac15 and a 2061x marshall - but again more with the stratocaster than the less paul.