where have all the fancy amps gone

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Re: where have all the fancy amps gone

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:07 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:47 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:46 pm

Jay, mate; nobody needs to know that.
You can get arrested for that.
You guys, what were you thinking? 9 pound Gibson I was talking about
A 9 pound Gibson is even less believable than your 9 pound wanger!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:46 pm

Jay, mate; nobody needs to know that.
You call yours Gibson? That's a new one...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:32 pm

You call yours Gibson? That's a new one...
He always asks the wife to get out his Gibson and play with his Les Pauls.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:12 pm
clubhouse wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am Maybe we've the low volume, boutique builders to thank for the betterment of corporation amp quality? Not only in challenge to an aspect of market-share, but in the pushing up of price acceptability in the market (education?), and, their R+D to refine tone recipes (externality). If a corporate amp exec can poach some of the R+D found in the more market successful boutique builds and make further margin due to factory scale, then making better amp offerings to the market can happen at a lower price point, whilst having a higher, more exclusive brand offering above that again that can go head-to-head with the indie, boutique dudes.
It has been a strange time in big-name tube amps recently. Fender seem to have gone all-in re: modelling and not introduced anything vaguely interesting otherwise. Marshall are sensibly targeting the lower-wattage market with the Studio series. Mesa have introduced two of my favourite amps of all time (Cali Tweed and Filmore) but their "modern" offerings are all quite uninspiring. It feels like the market is moving away from big wattage, but it's hard for many players to spend big money on an "only" 20W tube amp.

We need another Auckland/Northland gearfest. I miss the warmth of tubes and unshowered men in crowded rooms.
I suspect some of this is being scared off by supply chain vulnerabilities (valves/components)
Probably safer to double down on software

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:45 pm
clubhouse wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am Maybe we've the low volume, boutique builders to thank for the betterment of corporation amp quality? Not only in challenge to an aspect of market-share, but in the pushing up of price acceptability in the market (education?), and, their R+D to refine tone recipes (externality). If a corporate amp exec can poach some of the R+D found in the more market successful boutique builds and make further margin due to factory scale, then making better amp offerings to the market can happen at a lower price point, whilst having a higher, more exclusive brand offering above that again that can go head-to-head with the indie, boutique dudes.
It has been a strange time in big-name tube amps recently. Fender seem to have gone all-in re: modelling and not introduced anything vaguely interesting otherwise. Marshall are sensibly targeting the lower-wattage market with the Studio series. Mesa have introduced two of my favourite amps of all time (Cali Tweed and Filmore) but their "modern" offerings are all quite uninspiring. It feels like the market is moving away from big wattage, but it's hard for many players to spend big money on an "only" 20W tube amp.

We need another Auckland/Northland gearfest. I miss the warmth of tubes and unshowered men in crowded rooms.
I suspect some of this is being scared off by supply chain vulnerabilities (valves/components)
America is investing big in chip manufacturing due to their main supplier Taiwan becoming part of China any minute now :-(

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:54 pm

America is investing big in chip manufacturing due to their main supplier Taiwan becoming part of China any minute now :-(
Could easily chip my pants

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:21 pm
Might pay to wash them once in a while if they're that stiff!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:49 pm

There's audible crunching as he strolls down the hospital corridors.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:00 pm

There's audible crunching as he strolls down the hospital corridors.
But I don’t wear ‘my’ pants at work.
The crunching noise is probably all the snapped off bits of propofol vials that are imbedded in me

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Not thinking of your special sports sock?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Could it be that this thread has gone down hill?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:24 pm Could it be that this thread has gone down hill?
Probably... the way of all the fancy amps...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:24 pm Could it be that this thread has gone down hill?
Its done better than usual.

shednz
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by shednz »

Well to summarise, fancy amps turned digital, not all cracked up to be, hard to buy in living crisis, all owned by Conway, run out of parts, temptresses for playing with ones 9 lber and something about crunchy pants. A worthy discussion, thanks all. I'll keep my eyes out to match the swart and redplate with a kantana.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

shednz wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:29 pm Well to summarise, fancy amps turned digital, not all cracked up to be, hard to buy in living crisis, all owned by Conway, run out of parts, temptresses for playing with ones 9 lber and something about crunchy pants. A worthy discussion, thanks all. I'll keep my eyes out to match the swart and redplate with a kantana.
One thing we forgot to ask in the rush to derail the thread; what sort of fancy amp would be likely to spin your wheels?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves