where have all the fancy amps gone

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: where have all the fancy amps gone

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:47 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:42 am To be honest I don’t understand reverb on a Vox amp at all - the original amp didn’t have reverb, so I kind of feel like if you are going for classic Vox tone, you don’t need a spring reverb in the amp
I'd much rather not have reverb on my AC10, its digital anyway and I much prefer pedals for reverb...
digital pedals?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:39 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:47 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:42 am To be honest I don’t understand reverb on a Vox amp at all - the original amp didn’t have reverb, so I kind of feel like if you are going for classic Vox tone, you don’t need a spring reverb in the amp
I'd much rather not have reverb on my AC10, its digital anyway and I much prefer pedals for reverb...
digital pedals?
Of course! Toan is in the DAC
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

shed
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shed »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:31 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:03 pm I do wonder if people are also starting to realise that some of these expensive amps really aren't "all that" anyway, you can build (or have built locally) just as good, if not better for way less.
This is the thing. You just don't need a boutique super expensive thing when the off the shelf stuff is so good. I went to music planet last week looking for a shimmer reverb and ended up playing a stock Vox AC15 which just sounded unbelievably fantastic. $1500, brand new, and it really was just ridiculously good.
I know what you mean. Despiteall the fancy boutiques I collected, I end up using a Chinese built Vox Ac15 TVHW head and cab more than most of them most of the time.

shed
Stagg
Stagg

Post by shed »

murky wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:14 pm I recon those responsible for most of the boutique amp rolling have all gone digital - the ultimate scratch to their itch.
I haven't headed down the digital path yet. Still working with mostly fender and Marshall old school amps or reissues of these and a VOx AC15 TVHW. As far digital as I have gone so far is a digital delay. I occasionally get semi-interested in digital stuff but figure in the end I'll hear it as digital and miss my old valves. Probably says as much about my age as the quality of new digital gear.

shed
Stagg
Stagg

Post by shed »

robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:41 pm
shed wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:43 pm seems like there are very few classy amps - boutique, handwired mainstream - amps going for sale in recent times. I've managed to collect a bunch over the years but hardly ever see anything popping up these days. What's with the amp hogging or am I looking in the wrong places?
Check Conway's stable. Coupla Morgan heads. Also a few forum-built amps sold recently. And an Amplified Nation head on TradeMe last week.
Saw the amplified nation head - never heard of them before - pretty interesting. Big $$ though for head only! Doubt my skills could do that kind of $$ justice and I figure only vintage amps will hold that kind of value.

shed
Stagg
Stagg

Post by shed »

GrantB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:54 pm Interesting - 65Amps did well for a while, but ultimately the market is fickle. Often there's a bloom in sales rising from some OTT reviews on YouTube etc, and them a steady decline.

When I purchased my RedPlate, that's what the builder told me. He had some reviews show up on TGP, nek minute he has 45 orders...which caused its own issues.
I wonder if that's the redplate currently hanging out with me - a white tolex blackverb head I got off Dharmajester here in Dunedin. Lots of switches but still seems pretty Fender-y to my ears. I enjoy it a lot.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

shed wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:54 pm
robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:41 pm
shed wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:43 pm seems like there are very few classy amps - boutique, handwired mainstream - amps going for sale in recent times. I've managed to collect a bunch over the years but hardly ever see anything popping up these days. What's with the amp hogging or am I looking in the wrong places?
Check Conway's stable. Coupla Morgan heads. Also a few forum-built amps sold recently. And an Amplified Nation head on TradeMe last week.
Saw the amplified nation head - never heard of them before - pretty interesting. Big $$ though for head only! Doubt my skills could do that kind of $$ justice and I figure only vintage amps will hold that kind of value.
They seem to be a pretty genuine Two Rock competitor these days. Hard to know how they do resale wise in NZ, this is the first I've seen. Haven't seen a Two Rock, Fuchs or Victoria for sale here in many moons either.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

shed wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:00 pm
GrantB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:54 pm Interesting - 65Amps did well for a while, but ultimately the market is fickle. Often there's a bloom in sales rising from some OTT reviews on YouTube etc, and them a steady decline.

When I purchased my RedPlate, that's what the builder told me. He had some reviews show up on TGP, nek minute he has 45 orders...which caused its own issues.
I wonder if that's the redplate currently hanging out with me - a white tolex blackverb head I got off Dharmajester here in Dunedin. Lots of switches but still seems pretty Fender-y to my ears. I enjoy it a lot.
Probably mine!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2489 times
Been liked: 2800 times

Post by Molly »

Super narrow market for fancy-pants amps I suppose. How many Katanas sell for every Friedman? And the folk that buy boutique likely don't have to sell them.

I have my Small Box 50 combo and Carr Mercury. They're the only ones I removed from the NZ pool.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Sure, a Vox AC15 can get a long way there (I've had trailer loads), but there really isn't a comparison say compared to a vintage AC, or a 65Amps, or a JMI (90's RI's), or a new Magnatone, or etc etc. It will be good enough for sure. They're excellent value for money.

However, like hifi gear, the return on investment ratio diminishes dramatically as you head up the scale.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

shed wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:52 pm
murky wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:14 pm I recon those responsible for most of the boutique amp rolling have all gone digital - the ultimate scratch to their itch.
I haven't headed down the digital path yet. Still working with mostly fender and Marshall old school amps or reissues of these and a VOx AC15 TVHW. As far digital as I have gone so far is a digital delay. I occasionally get semi-interested in digital stuff but figure in the end I'll hear it as digital and miss my old valves. Probably says as much about my age as the quality of new digital gear.

I’ve done both mate, there’s some very good digital stuff out there now. Some of it takes time to dial in but I doubt many would pick the difference in a blind test, whereas the boutique amps I’ve owned have what peeps like to call ‘character’ tube rattle, ghost notes, weird unexplained buzzes that just annoy the hell out of me, but still something about them…all in my head!

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

90s banger!
Nothing to see here.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Guitarist's curse innit? Looking for that exact sound in our head and forever making up reasons for why this one isn't it and we just need that one other thing... :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

hamo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:05 am
Guitarist's curse innit? Looking for that exact sound in our head and forever making up reasons for why this one isn't it and we just need that one other thing... :mrgreen:
I have no sound in my head, no ideal tone, and no space for more amps.