where have all the fancy amps gone

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: where have all the fancy amps gone

Post by jeremyb »

KNNZ wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:26 am coincidentally I've been GASsing for a AC15 handwired model, Music Planet has got Black November sale going and this seems to be an okay price?
https://www.musicplanet.co.nz/vox-ac15h ... n-spk.html
I'm pretty sure back in the day when I got my AC15 the handwired ones were about that sale price...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Maybe we've the low volume, boutique builders to thank for the betterment of corporation amp quality? Not only in challenge to an aspect of market-share, but in the pushing up of price acceptability in the market (education?), and, their R+D to refine tone recipes (externality). If a corporate amp exec can poach some of the R+D found in the more market successful boutique builds and make further margin due to factory scale, then making better amp offerings to the market can happen at a lower price point, whilst having a higher, more exclusive brand offering above that again that can go head-to-head with the indie, boutique dudes.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Oh those are superb,
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have a theory that once they all played a Katana they basically lost the will to build amps any more. It was just too good!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

clubhouse wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am Maybe we've the low volume, boutique builders to thank for the betterment of corporation amp quality? Not only in challenge to an aspect of market-share, but in the pushing up of price acceptability in the market (education?), and, their R+D to refine tone recipes (externality). If a corporate amp exec can poach some of the R+D found in the more market successful boutique builds and make further margin due to factory scale, then making better amp offerings to the market can happen at a lower price point, whilst having a higher, more exclusive brand offering above that again that can go head-to-head with the indie, boutique dudes.
It has been a strange time in big-name tube amps recently. Fender seem to have gone all-in re: modelling and not introduced anything vaguely interesting otherwise. Marshall are sensibly targeting the lower-wattage market with the Studio series. Mesa have introduced two of my favourite amps of all time (Cali Tweed and Filmore) but their "modern" offerings are all quite uninspiring. It feels like the market is moving away from big wattage, but it's hard for many players to spend big money on an "only" 20W tube amp.

We need another Auckland/Northland gearfest. I miss the warmth of tubes and unshowered men in crowded rooms.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:12 pm
clubhouse wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am Maybe we've the low volume, boutique builders to thank for the betterment of corporation amp quality? Not only in challenge to an aspect of market-share, but in the pushing up of price acceptability in the market (education?), and, their R+D to refine tone recipes (externality). If a corporate amp exec can poach some of the R+D found in the more market successful boutique builds and make further margin due to factory scale, then making better amp offerings to the market can happen at a lower price point, whilst having a higher, more exclusive brand offering above that again that can go head-to-head with the indie, boutique dudes.
It has been a strange time in big-name tube amps recently. Fender seem to have gone all-in re: modelling and not introduced anything vaguely interesting otherwise. Marshall are sensibly targeting the lower-wattage market with the Studio series. Mesa have introduced two of my favourite amps of all time (Cali Tweed and Filmore) but their "modern" offerings are all quite uninspiring. It feels like the market is moving away from big wattage, but it's hard for many players to spend big money on an "only" 20W tube amp.

We need another Auckland/Northland gearfest. I miss the warmth of tubes and unshowered men in crowded rooms.
Hiwatt still has big wattage for big money.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

keen for a Auckland gearfest but only over the next school holidays please
revtworock.JPG
revtworock.JPG (3.11 MiB) Viewed 14628 times

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

KNNZ wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:51 pm keen for a Auckland gearfest but only over the next school holidays please

revtworock.JPG
Summer or end of first term?

Also thoughts on that Two Rock?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KNNZ »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:55 pm
KNNZ wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:51 pm keen for a Auckland gearfest but only over the next school holidays please

revtworock.JPG

end of December or January

Fendery tones but thiccc fendery tones, more warmth, works great with single coils, P90s, Jazzmaster style pickups, but for humbuckers I find I need an EQ pedal to make it less bassy/boomy if that makes sense

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

KNNZ wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:37 pm

revtworock.JPG

Fendery tones but thiccc fendery tones, more warmth, works great with single coils, P90s, Jazzmaster style pickups, but for humbuckers I find I need an EQ pedal to make it less bassy/boomy if that makes sense
Sounds like the Cali Tweed. How much of the toan is in the speaker and cab, do you think?

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KNNZ »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:38 pm
KNNZ wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:37 pm

Sounds like the Cali Tweed. How much of the toan is in the speaker and cab, do you think?
That's a good question, I don't have the answer to that yet, I do have another cab with V30s so maybe i could swap cabs and see if the toan changes, but when I have some free time!!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

I pulled my 9 pounder out today for a testdrive
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:36 pm
Jay, mate; nobody needs to know that.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:46 pm

You can get arrested for that.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:47 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:46 pm

You can get arrested for that.
You guys, what were you thinking? 9 pound Gibson I was talking about
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.