NAD: Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

NAD: Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace

Post by NippleWrestler »

Very nice amp.

I picked this up with the help of Kiwiaxe who put me in touch with the old owner's dad who was selling it on behalf. It had sat in the garage for a few years under the dust cover. I won't go into the circumstances around the sale as it's not my right but I had tears in my eyes when I was driving away with a lovely old man waving me off in the rearview.

Anyway.

It's a big amp guys. The 2x12 combo and the 1x12 combo (which this is) share the same size enclosure so there's a lot of room in there for the V30 to do its thing. It sounds way bigger than any other combo I've played, there's a lot of chunk with typical Mesa build quality so zero rattles, ghost notes, sympathetic resonances etc that plague cheaper built amps/cabs. It's all finger jointed ply which I appreciate.

FEATURES:

50w, 2 x EL34, 5 x 12AX7, 1 x 5U4G rectifier tube.
Tube/diode rectification option for each channel.
2 channels (clean/dirty), with 3 modes on each, and their own EQ and presence control.
Bold/Spongy switch - sort of a voltage reduction thingy Mesa use in a lot of their amps, Spongy reduces power by 30% and makes it a bit 'rounder'.
On-board fan for the power tubes (nice touch!).
Has a choke (nice touch!).
The chassis itself is champagne coloured to honour it's 'British' influence.
Leather corners and handle... that might seem a trivial point but I love that sorta stuff where somebody somewhere gave a shit about the tactile elements of the gear people use.
Tube driven FX loop.
Footswitch for channel switching and also a 2nd master volume called SOLO.
Built like a tank.
Weighs 78lbs, but has kickass locking casters so you can ride it around.

I shot the schematic and photos to my amp tech friend who then sent me about 6 emails in rapid succession along these sorts of lines:

"One thing that is very interesting about the power section is that they have diode rectified the filament supply for V1 and V2 with a couple 10,000uf caps. Run off a 12v tap that also powers a fan. Jesus." I don't know what that means, but I like it. He's a hard man to impress when it comes to amps.

Overbuilt is good. They really went to town on this amp's design. When I was in there yesterday I noticed the cab bit of the enclosure beneath the chassis has a curved roof like it curves downward from front to back. I looked into it and this is to improve projection and 'bigness' of the sound. Does it make a difference? Who knows. Is it cool? Yep.

I'll get to the sound, I just like talking about this stuff.

Nice hefty transformers made by Classic Tone. You can see the fan, choke, other nice things like the rubber sleeve over the PI tube to prevent rattle noise, and even the rubber gaskets around the tube sleeves. I love Mesa stuff man, they're like the (pre-Audi) Lamborghini of amps: kinda mad. It occurs to me someone changed v2, 3, and 4 to JJ ECC83S. Fine by me.

Guts. The I/O section and the power amp section sit on their own boards.

It sounds somewhat like a Marshall JCM800 with a way better clean channel, a ton more options, far superior build quality, with more roundness to proceedings. The cleans are glassy, deep, and are quite astonishing for an EL34 amp. I hardly use the clean channel (I have CH1 set to CRUNCH mode with the gain low) but it does further add to the versatility to have a really nice warm clean sound. It'll do the 800 AC/DC thing on CRUNCH mode (available on both channels) with the gain up, then there's 2 other modes on the dirty channel (called TITE and FLUID) which I think bring in 1 and 2 more gain stages respectively, thickening up the tone and adding a whole lotta chunk. Sounds like a Soldano tbh but with a hint of that Recto sizzle and authority to the upper mids that make you pull a stupid face when you're playing.

I spent about an hour last night in my dressing gown on the dirty channel, reverb pedal in the back, strat neck pickup with the volume down and loved it. There's a wonderful loose feel with Mesa amps that I don't get anywhere else. I find Marshalls too stiff, too eager, I find Fender's a bit boring and kinda plain, but Mesas just feel right to me. Again I'm talking about the existential stuff with gear, but I know you know what I mean. You play them as much as the guitar.

There's a lot of talk about this amp being bright. It is very capable of being bright. Being somewhat Marshall inspired that fits. Nobody ever said a JCM800 was muffled. It's also controllable, you've got a treble control and a presence control for each channel and between them you can absolutely kill any high end you wanted. You have to dial in Mesas with your ears, not your eyes. Start on 0 and add what you want. Putting everything on 7 is sub-ideal.

It will chug. There's more than enough gain for just about anything. I think it's probably capable of as much gain as the Peavey 6505 I used to have, but this is tasteful, controllable, elegant in a weird sorta way, whereas the 6505 is an unrefined untamed wall of hiss and noise, but yes, also gain.

My one criticism is a lack of low end extension. There's bass, but I'm used to my Tremoverb which is like a thunderstorm and I wouldn't mind a bit of extra thump here. But again, given its heritage and homage to British style sounds it's par for the course and in the context of a band situation you're not going to flub out or step on toes. I can see the logic but a resonance control would be a great mod, and apparently is easily done. I'll explore that when I've lived with it a while.

Overall, I really like this amp. It is unmistakably a quality piece of gear, well made, well designed, well implemented with enough options and versatility to satisfy different moods or settings. I had a 6505 before this and that was relatively a kid's toy, plasticky, artificial sounding and built from apparent shit. I ended up selling it to a 17 year old starting a metalcore band which kinda sums it up. This is a whole other league and I'm impressed by what this amp can do and what it offers inside and out.

If you made it this far here's a picture of my dog rolling on a dead fish.
bd-11.jpg
bd-11.jpg (315.3 KiB) Viewed 10450 times

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Re: NAD: Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace

Post by Molly »

Nice dog. Needs a bath...

That could well be my old Mesa. Recall I shipped it in a blue flightcase. The combined weight was incredible. Super solid amp.

Might not be my one of course but there can't be many like it floating around.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

Sounds wicked man, haven’t heard one of these in person but I’ve had a few Mesas over the years and they’ve all been very good.

Interesting idea to leave the 112 combo the same size as the 212 combo, just the chassis size I guess….

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Molly wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:05 am Nice dog. Needs a bath...

That could well be my old Mesa. Recall I shipped it in a blue flightcase. The combined weight was incredible. Super solid amp.

Could be. How long ago did you move it on? I understand it was acquired by this owner about 10 or 11 years ago. It hardly looks used and someone took very good care of it (a filter cap has been replaced and it's quality work with a quality part, not a hack job).

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:18 am
Molly wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:05 am Nice dog. Needs a bath...

Could be. How long ago did you move it on? I understand it was acquired by this owner about 10 or 11 years ago. It hardly looks used and someone took very good care of it (a filter cap has been replaced and it's quality work with a quality part, not a hack job).
Timing seems right. No memory of repairs, sorry.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Love to hear more thoughts on the clean channel!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Fantastic amps by all accounts and loving the colour combo of the tolex and grill cloth!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:34 am Love to hear more thoughts on the clean channel!
I don't have that more to say, I'm not a clean channel connoisseur and don't spend a lot of time there. The 3 modes are interesting, you've basically got regular clean, then what they call fat clean which loosens up the low end and takes a bit of lower mid congestion out of it (great with single coils), and the last mode is crunch which adds more volume and does what it says on the tin. If you imagine a Plexi or jcm with a looser feel and more refined overall tone with maybe 60% of the available gain you're somewhere in the ballpark.

It's rather dynamic which is why I like it, i spent a low of time on the crunch mode with an alnico 2 humbucker dialed back and had a good time. You can soften it up and you can get brash and obnoxious. Like any good amp, it's an instrument unto itself. There's a very pleasing level of sustain and bloom on tap if you wring it out.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:31 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:34 am Love to hear more thoughts on the clean channel!
I don't have that more to say, I'm not a clean channel connoisseur and don't spend a lot of time there. The 3 modes are interesting, you've basically got regular clean, then what they call fat clean which loosens up the low end and takes a bit of lower mid congestion out of it (great with single coils), and the last mode is crunch which adds more volume and does what it says on the tin. If you imagine a Plexi or jcm with a looser feel and more refined overall tone with maybe 60% of the available gain you're somewhere in the ballpark.

It's rather dynamic which is why I like it, i spent a low of time on the crunch mode with an alnico 2 humbucker dialed back and had a good time. You can soften it up and you can get brash and obnoxious. Like any good amp, it's an instrument unto itself. There's a very pleasing level of sustain and bloom on tap if you wring it out.
Good descriptions. I was very tempted by this amp and would have grabbed it if I hadn't committed to another one (also a Mesa). It sounds like I should have probably given it a crack though!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:53 am

Good descriptions. I was very tempted by this amp and would have grabbed it if I hadn't committed to another one (also a Mesa). It sounds like I should have probably given it a crack though!
what Mesa did you get? It's always nice to hear that others have good taste also.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:59 am

what Mesa did you get? It's always nice to hear that others have good taste also.
I have a Filmore 50 head under a joint custody arrangement.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Gotcha. Sounds like we both ended up with what we wanted. Sounds dumb but I'm not sure I could jive with the styling of the Filmore, gives me Ampeg heebie jeebies.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:24 pm

Hows its clean for Mayer-esque toans?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:44 pm

You don't want to know how good.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:52 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:44 pm

You don't want to know how good.
DAMN YOU!!!!!!

Its ok though, its way more expensive than my talents deserve, have been getting a bit of wood for the secondhand 50W 6L6 St James in my local Rockshop though...