NAD: Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: NAD: Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:57 pm
robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:52 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:44 pm

Hows its clean for Mayer-esque toans?
You don't want to know how good.
DAMN YOU!!!!!!

Its ok though, its way more expensive than my talents deserve, have been getting a bit of wood for the secondhand 50W 6L6 St James in my local Rockshop though...
I love my Mike-built Deluxe Reverb for the classic Fender tones, but the Filmore into a closed 2x12 with V30 and Creamback is the sound of Continuum. Super round, bouncy, edge of breakup tones.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:18 pm

DAMN YOU!!!!!!

Its ok though, its way more expensive than my talents deserve, have been getting a bit of wood for the secondhand 50W 6L6 St James in my local Rockshop though...
I love my Mike-built Deluxe Reverb for the classic Fender tones, but the Filmore into a closed 2x12 with V30 and Creamback is the sound of Continuum. Super round, bouncy, edge of breakup tones.
Stop it now, you're gonna make me toan!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I had the 2x12 version about 5 years ago. Best combo-that-sounds-like-a-stack sound I've had. Agree with all your comments re: tone/build/quality.

Only sold it as it was far too heavy to move around to practice 2x weekly.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:19 am I had the 2x12 version about 5 years ago. Best combo-that-sounds-like-a-stack sound I've had. Agree with all your comments re: tone/build/quality.

Only sold it as it was far too heavy to move around to practice 2x weekly.
It is definitely a unit. The wheels help, but not when you're lifting it in and out of a car boot. But then again, you can't fake having giant transformers I guess, if you want the big iron you're gonna have the weight. Not much good for your back though.

Agreed they sound way bigger than other combos. I'm really enjoying this one. After spending a lot of time jamming it I don't think it's overly bright at all, you just have to understand how everything interacts. It's a very good amp.

I have a Noctua fan coming to replace the stock one that's started to whine a little bit. If anyone is interested the Noctua A6x25 is a direct replacement, just splice the 12v (yellow) and ground (black) on the existing wires, ignore the others, and you're good to go.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:31 am
I have a Noctua fan coming to replace the stock one that's started to whine a little bit. If anyone is interested the Noctua A6x25 is a direct replacement, just splice the 12v (yellow) and ground (black) on the existing wires, ignore the others, and you're good to go.
And now if the amp ever needs refinishing, you can go for the classy beige/brown colour scheme.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

IG SIZE-1.jpg
IG SIZE-1.jpg (418.73 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
Done. Nice new silent fan. The stock one sounded like a jet engine in comparison.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Just saw the photo of your dog. I assumed you'd just hit a power chord.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 594 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:44 pm

Hows its clean for Mayer-esque toans?
DAMN YOU!!!!!!

The St James is a clever piece of kit. I'd love one.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

For posterity and future people googling mods for this amp here's what I've done to reduce the hardness of the high end, make the lows fuller, and add more body and aggression to the tones available. I used the amp at a jam session last night. It's a monster. Hugely versatile, quiet, well behaved in terms of noise, definitely loud enough, will do great cleans and will now do very pleasing chugs.

C3= 500pf to 2n2 (affects all channels)

This is the first treble peaker. The 2n2 cap adds some thickness to the lower mids. You find this in the Soldano SLO, it's an easy win for thicker tone.

C13 = 2n2 to 6n8 (affects CH2)

This is a coupling cap from v1a and is responsible for determining how much bass enters the next stage. 2n2 is very small. Marshall et al use a 22n, but this was too flubby. A 6n8 gets a good amount of low end at all ranges on the gain pot.

R25 = 39k to 27k (affects CH2)

More gain on Tite and Fluid drive. This is the cathode resistor off v2b. This is the fabled cold clipper circuit, more designed for wave shaping but it's an easy target for more gain (although the asymmetry of the gain is part of the design intention). Note it's in parallel with the 220k when fluid drive is selected (along with a 2u2 bypass cap on v3a) so be careful with the value. Too low and it's crazy and gets blatty. I wanted just a smidge more gain and liked the sound of the 27k. It definitely wakes it up. FYI, a 91k resistor soldered over r25 will result in 27.3k total.

R38 = 39k to 47k (affects CH2)

Slope resistor in the tone stack of channel 2. Makes the mids deeper, allows more upper mid content. This isn't a huge change (8k). Soldano use a 56k here. I went with Dual Rec values and the 47k was good to my ears.

Treble pot on CH2 = 330pf in parallel.

This knocks off some of the high end, making it bearable. Just solder a 330pf cap between the outer legs on this pot. Easy.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:47 am For posterity and future people googling mods for this amp here's what I've done to reduce the hardness of the high end, make the lows fuller, and add more body and aggression to the tones available. I used the amp at a jam session last night. It's a monster. Hugely versatile, quiet, well behaved in terms of noise, definitely loud enough, will do great cleans and will now do very pleasing chugs.

This is the first treble peaker. The 2n2 cap adds some thickness to the lower mids. You find this in the Soldano SLO, it's an easy win for thicker tone.

This is a coupling cap from v1a and is responsible for determining how much bass enters the next stage. 2n2 is very small. Marshall et al use a 22n, but this was too flubby. A 6n8 gets a good amount of low end at all ranges on the gain pot.

More gain on Tite and Fluid drive. This is the cathode resistor off v2b. This is the fabled cold clipper circuit, more designed for wave shaping but it's an easy target for more gain (although the asymmetry of the gain is part of the design intention). Note it's in parallel with the 220k when fluid drive is selected (along with a 2u2 bypass cap on v3a) so be careful with the value. Too low and it's crazy and gets blatty. I wanted just a smidge more gain and liked the sound of the 27k. It definitely wakes it up. FYI, a 91k resistor soldered over r25 will result in 27.3k total.

Slope resistor in the tone stack of channel 2. Makes the mids deeper, allows more upper mid content. This isn't a huge change (8k). Soldano use a 56k here. I went with Dual Rec values and the 47k was good to my ears.

This knocks off some of the high end, making it bearable. Just solder a 330pf cap between the outer legs on this pot. Easy.

Wicked, I don’t suppose you made some before, during and after clips?

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

NZTone.e wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:01 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:47 am For posterity and future people googling mods for this amp here's what I've done to reduce the hardness of the high end, make the lows fuller, and add more body and aggression to the tones available. I used the amp at a jam session last night. It's a monster. Hugely versatile, quiet, well behaved in terms of noise, definitely loud enough, will do great cleans and will now do very pleasing chugs.

Wicked, I don’t suppose you made some before, during and after clips?
Nope, I'm not doing it for YouTube, just my own ears and satisfaction, crocodile clipping as I go.