What a lot of us have been wanting from Kemper..

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: What a lot of us have been wanting from Kemper..

Post by robthemac »

I dunno, at this price point I'd rather no screen for the smaller footprint. If you're diving headfirst into modelling why not go the app route. I'm constantly frustrated by the poor-quality computer program and connectivity issues for the Boss ES-5. If Kemper do it right, I'd bite.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 520 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by mule »

I'm curious to know how Kemper users here find the desktop/iOS software?

At ~$1000NZD I could live without a screen, but it lives or dies on how annoying the software is to work with.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

When I'm on stage in front of 50,000 people the last thing I want too do is get my phone out to tweak my pedal board.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

mule wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:27 am I'm curious to know how Kemper users here find the desktop/iOS software?

At ~$1000NZD I could live without a screen, but it lives or dies on how annoying the software is to work with.
Software is just fine, fairly easy to use and straightforward. Like the unit itself, the desktop Rig Manager is not "pretty". My only slight complaint is you can't view the rig content in the app without a Profiler connected. I seem to recall this was possible with Fractal, but my memory may be wrong there.
Last edited by codedog on Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:30 am When I'm on stage in front of 50,000 people the last thing I want too do is get my phone out to tweak my pedal board.
A daily occurrence for all on this forum.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

I once played to the bar staff and doorman and having to whip my phone out then would have been annoying!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Seems novel, but at that price point, I'd want a screen. I paid about a K for my AX8 and the now-antiquated Nokia-esque green screen is better than having to add yet another app to my phone.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:36 am I once played to the bar staff and doorman and having to whip my phone out then would have been annoying!
True story - once was in the last band at an all ages gig. Band before us cleared the room. Sound guy ducked out as we started so literally played to no one.

Turns out he was buying us some beer and invited us to open for his locally big band
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

In my experience, making adjustments on a phone is far quicker than pushing little buttons and turning knobs on a pedal. Then finding out you've done something wrong and trying to retrace your steps. But for basic B, M, T adjustments, yeah knobs are better. But everyone is different. This unit will appeal to a lot of folks and not so much to others.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:36 am I once played to the bar staff and doorman

K Rd Ballroom, 2004. 6 band lineup which some genius thought would be wise to start playing at 10pm. Forever etched in memory due to rage.

We drew short straw and played just before 2am to the two bar staff and cleaner. I nearly walked out at around 1am due to frustration as the band with the biggest following played just before us and cleared everything out, but our singer insisted on staying despite the fact that every single one of the other bands and even the organisers left.

I took over running gigs after this and to this day, refuse to play any bill with more than 3 bands that doesn't kick off at a reasonable time :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I’ll let you know how I find it once mine arrives :)

I have the advantage of being very used to the Kemper infrastructure, having used it at home and live for 11 years. I don’t adjust anything on my kemper when playing live (even volume is controlled via the mixer) although running one of these into two Kabinets might mean I use the master volume. Heck, I’ve done gigs where the kemper head has been back by the mixing desk and all I’ve had in front of me was an expression pedal set to morph - i just used the same patch all night.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:30 am I’ll let you know how I find it once mine arrives :)

I have the advantage of being very used to the Kemper infrastructure, having used it at home and live for 11 years. I don’t adjust anything on my kemper when playing live (even volume is controlled via the mixer) although running one of these into two Kabinets might mean I use the master volume. Heck, I’ve done gigs where the kemper head has been back by the mixing desk and all I’ve had in front of me was an expression pedal set to morph - i just used the same patch all night.
Same here, hence a slightly biased opinion. Last gig I did I dialled everything in through PA at home beforehand and didnt have to touch my toaster at all.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I could be tempted by something like this I reckon. When I'm at home in front of my PC, I'm quite happy to muck around with endless possibilities. For live and for rehearsals though I literally just want to plug and play. The rare time I tweaked patches was more when a band mate said "hey... have you got 'x' sound in there?" The phone app sounds like it would be much better than a tiny screen too - god I hate screens and bad UI. If I had a significant issue during a gig I would rather kick on a backup than spend time trying to work it out.

I'd be keen to try one of these at least.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:55 am And it’s started!
https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 792356.htm
Jeeeeeesus that's cheap