Best DAW for beginner

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Best DAW for beginner

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:43 pm
Bg wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:04 pmGarage Band /thread
Dude! He's on a PC!
but thats his fault... he could buy a mac
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Capt. Black wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:44 pm
bender wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:12 pm
Kris wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:27 pm reaper, hands down
jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:04 pm
Reaper is cool if you want a free (or cheap) DAW that has plenty of tutorials out there and supports everything and anything...
This cannot be overstated. There is a huge amount of community support for Reaper, so it's a great one for a noobie.

That being said, Reaper users seem to be like Vegans or Cross-Fit trainers. Hard to get them to shut up about it.*

*(Tongue planted firmly in cheek here)
Bendy, is Reaper the DAW that Dan Worrall works in?

If it is, his YouTube channel is a great resource!
Even if it isn’t, his YouTube channel is a great resource!
Never heard of him, but a quick gander at his channel suggests yes!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

reapermania on YT is a great resource, even to get an idea of how it all works.

cool edit pro/ audition / reaper was my trajectory. Tried a few along the way, but the workflow was never right.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

bender wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:29 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:44 pm
bender wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:12 pm

This cannot be overstated. There is a huge amount of community support for Reaper, so it's a great one for a noobie.

That being said, Reaper users seem to be like Vegans or Cross-Fit trainers. Hard to get them to shut up about it.*

*(Tongue planted firmly in cheek here)
Bendy, is Reaper the DAW that Dan Worrall works in?

If it is, his YouTube channel is a great resource!
Even if it isn’t, his YouTube channel is a great resource!
Never heard of him, but a quick gander at his channel suggests yes!
I find him informative and entertaining in a dryly cut through the humbug call a spade a spade in an objectively bitchy but in the nicest possible way gem of a character.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 520 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by mule »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:04 pm
robthemac wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:53 pm Not fucking Ableton. It's powerful and has so much control in it, but completely inaccessible. Kinda like a racecar that you'll stall a dozen times before you can get around the first corner.
Yeah its strength is in live performance and DJing not really recording guitars and other instruments :-(
I've been learning the basics of Ableton Live for the past month and this rings true, but I really like the basic workflow as a beginner. I struggled to get any traction with Reaper, but Ableton session view encourages you to get an idea down and build on it, especially anything MIDI based. It's all doable in any DAW I'm sure, I just didn't find Reaper as intuitive.

Of course now I'm making chill lo-fi beats with no guitar tracks :lol: so it sort of defeated my original intent for learning a DAW, but it's been fun and has kept the momentum up.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

For PC Reaper is the way to go, unless you have specific needs and are prepared to jump on the learning curve of one of the paid DAWs like Cubase etc.

One thing I like about Reaper is it fires up quickly. Quite a bit faster than other DAWs I have. It also seems to be very efficient with CPU usage.

If you are the type who pays the Apple tax, then there's Garage Band which leads most to Logic. Apple has advantages for audio, e.g., Core Audio rather than dealing with the ASIO BS in Windows, but that's about the only advantage.

Bitbull
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Bitbull »

I think if you are on Mac, it doesn't get any easier than Logic Pro and tbh it's top-level professional if you dig it. Especially if you like composing or producing, not just recording.
I personally use Cubase and used to use Protools

I would say they all follow the same sort of architecture, so whatever you choose, if you learn it you will be ok. Then would be what's fit for purpose for you. For example, if you are someone who intends to share projects with studios or other musos a lot maybe ProTools is the way as it is the industry standard, if it is just for your own ego and amusement then any would do, and Reaper is free and heavily supported!

I think always start with fit for purpose - then go market to shop with whatever budget you have. cant go wrong that way.
Hope this helps.
BitBull

I'm John Lee Hooker in the sense that he was a blues man and he played blues his whole life. I'm a rock guy and I'm going to play rock music my whole life.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by dayl »

Presonus Studio One is one the easiest but all can be learned and the big names are all heavily support on YT