Kapati / welli crew

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Kapati / welli crew

Post by NZTone.e »

Personally I’d probably stick with the black magic unless you really wanted something with a 15” speaker, just for something different.

the thunderbolt’s drive sounds very old school spungey sort of thing, which of course is the point, but that isn’t really my cup of tea, might be yours though!

And as you mentioned, the black magic is way more versatile…

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Can I vote on behalf of your cilia for sticking with the lower-power option.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

I’d buy the thunderbolt as something to crank up once in a while for something different sort of thing, not my main rig, it’s cool!

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I vote keep the Black Magick, unless the simple + 15" thing really does it for you.

Based on internet amp tech snobs, Supro seems best avoided all round.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 827 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Thanks Chaps, I think the black magicks have it. But unfortunately I don’t listen to anyone’s advice so fuck knows what I’ll do ;)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

TmcB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:13 am Based on internet amp tech snobs, Supro seems best avoided all round.
Interesting... I have developed quite the GAS for Supro amps, tempered only by lack of funds and having a Kemper. Can you provide some references to such opinions?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:24 am Thanks Chaps, I think the black magicks have it. But unfortunately I don’t listen to anyone’s advice so fuck knows what I’ll do ;)
My skateboard dealer said I should just keep buying shit until I find what works for me, sure he has a financial interest in this but he's also right, what I've read or thought I should love with skateboarding and music gear and what I actually love have turned out quite different!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:34 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:24 am Thanks Chaps, I think the black magicks have it. But unfortunately I don’t listen to anyone’s advice so fuck knows what I’ll do ;)
My skateboard dealer said I should just keep buying shit until I find what works for me, sure he has a financial interest in this but he's also right, what I've read or thought I should love with skateboarding and music gear and what I actually love have turned out quite different!
I feel I have the same responsibility to craft beer, I’m trying but there’s just so many to get thru and they won’t let me drink them at work

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

codedog wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:25 am
TmcB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:13 am Based on internet amp tech snobs, Supro seems best avoided all round.
Interesting... I have developed quite the GAS for Supro amps, tempered only by lack of funds and having a Kemper. Can you provide some references to such opinions?
https://youtu.be/vcHCWWL1wKo?si=IQvUiCoYWe5G-EtN
Usually the comments are in passing on his videos. (Lyle Caldwell, Psionic Audio)

The only thing they seem to REALLY dump on more are Mesa Boogies - once they start pointing out the bad stuff you can’t unsee it.

I’m an arm chair enthusiast though so take that how you like
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

TmcB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:42 am
codedog wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:25 am
https://youtu.be/vcHCWWL1wKo?si=IQvUiCoYWe5G-EtN
Usually the comments are in passing on his videos. (Lyle Caldwell, Psionic Audio)

The only thing they seem to REALLY dump on more are Mesa Boogies - once they start pointing out the bad stuff you can’t unsee it.

I’m an arm chair enthusiast though so take that how you like

that clip is on the bluesking, the only Supro to be openly made in China.

Having done a recent delve into where they’re made, it’s quite murky, but up until 2020, they were made in New York, until the Pigtronix group, can’t remember their name, Bond maybe, took over, now they won’t say and know one knows for sure where they’re made, except the bluesking which has always been made in China.

I’m sure there’s evidence to the contrary somewhere, but that’s how I read it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:39 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:34 am
I feel I have the same responsibility to craft beer, I’m trying but there’s just so many to get thru and they won’t let me drink them at work
You have way better options for intoxication at work, I had to give up drinking due to my dedication to the cause!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I bought the Thunderbolt on pre order through Ryan back in the day. Mines got the serial number 000090! It's a really simple amp and it can stay clean well up the volume scale but saturates nicely higher up. The tone control is really functional and it's pretty easy to find the sweet spots depending on what pickups you're using. I quite like having it at the lower end of breakup (pretty loud!), use the guitar volume to clean up and a boost pedal for more crunch.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

NZTone.e wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:50 am

Having done a recent delve into where they’re made, it’s quite murky, but up until 2020, they were made in New York, until the Pigtronix group, can’t remember their name, Bond maybe, took over, now they won’t say and know one knows for sure where they’re made, except the bluesking which has always been made in China.

If you read the comments, he's saying the Bluesking and one other I can't remember are the outliers that aren't too bad.
I can't point you to a nice tight 10min video of "this is all the supros that suck" but I can point you to that channel. You'd have to go through the live chat sessions for when people bring it up.

Mind you, saying it sucks is from the maintenance/reliability angle not the tone or feel angle. Usually about things that get really hot being too close to things that don't like it, important connections being quick connects that sort of thing

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

TmcB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:06 am
NZTone.e wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:50 am

If you read the comments, he's saying the Bluesking and one other I can't remember are the outliers that aren't too bad.
I can't point you to a nice tight 10min video of "this is all the supros that suck" but I can point you to that channel. You'd have to go through the live chat sessions for when people bring it up.

Mind you, saying it sucks is from the maintenance/reliability angle not the tone or feel angle. Usually about things that get really hot being too close to things that don't like it, important connections being quick connects that sort of thing
Found the comment. From what I can see/tell, it seems the Delta King is simply the next gen Blues King.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 102409.png
Screenshot 2024-03-08 102409.png (47.65 KiB) Viewed 366 times

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

It’s confirmed, the black magick stays !