Anyone Rocking Vintage Blackface?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Re: Anyone Rocking Vintage Blackface?

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:17 pm
murky wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:19 pm Grant B, Conway - you boys wind them up, or keep them clean?

Robbie - Bandmaster would stay pretty clean right? Maybe a little grit at the top of the dial?

Twins scare me.
Bandmaster is not mine and not stock. I spent a month with it. I got no break-up. None. Significantly louder and cleaned than my Deluxe Reverb. Also not as scooped as I expected.
Maybe some of the tube rectified large bottle 40w-ish offerings would suit you ?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:31 pm
robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:17 pm
murky wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:19 pm Grant B, Conway - you boys wind them up, or keep them clean?

Robbie - Bandmaster would stay pretty clean right? Maybe a little grit at the top of the dial?

Twins scare me.
Bandmaster is not mine and not stock. I spent a month with it. I got no break-up. None. Significantly louder and cleaned than my Deluxe Reverb. Also not as scooped as I expected.
Maybe some of the tube rectified large bottle 40w-ish offerings would suit you ?
Presume you're not talking to the guy heavily attenuating two low-power tube amps.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

I had a Bandmaster for a while (transitional model- BF circuit with SF panel). It was surprisingly brash in the midrange- especially upper mids.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I like my PRRI
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Twins scare me.
Usually played at early break up, but yeah, sounds great cranked. I have an attenuator because it is still a loud 12 watts
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

I haven't found my Mike-C Deluxe Reverb to do its best work when fully cranked. It sounds great at 5-7 on the volume dial, especially when cutting bass and/or adding Klone/TS in front. But diming the volume just doesn't sizzle my bacon. That's in distinct contrast to the Plexi and Tweed, both of which love getting the shit kicked out of them.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 413 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Had a ‘67 Pro Reverb with G12-65s that I gigged for a few years. A truly great amp, but the need for regular maintenance and a step down transformer prompted me to sell it and get a Suhr Bella 44. Equally happy with the sounds, and it’s built like a tank.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

I have a Princeton Reverb II, in Champagne Beigeface and oak panels.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:01 pm I haven't found my Mike-C Deluxe Reverb to do its best work when fully cranked. It sounds great at 5-7 on the volume dial, especially when cutting bass and/or adding Klone/TS in front. But diming the volume just doesn't sizzle my bacon. That's in distinct contrast to the Plexi and Tweed, both of which love getting the shit kicked out of them.
i agree. I dont like the sound of cranked blackface and I dont really think they were designed to do that. Edge of break up yes. Cranked usally just gets to mush or fizz town

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:50 am
robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:01 pm I haven't found my Mike-C Deluxe Reverb to do its best work when fully cranked. It sounds great at 5-7 on the volume dial, especially when cutting bass and/or adding Klone/TS in front. But diming the volume just doesn't sizzle my bacon. That's in distinct contrast to the Plexi and Tweed, both of which love getting the shit kicked out of them.
i agree. I dont like the sound of cranked blackface and I dont really think they were designed to do that. Edge of break up yes. Cranked usally just gets to mush or fizz town
This is why I'm curious about well setup/tuned vintage!

The RI BF's I've tried/owned sounded terrible when cranked, and passable but not great in the noon-2 o'clock sweet spot. Went around the block a few times and got to the point where I concluded the BF wasn't for me.....

Now..... find myself d*cking around with some modelled (yeah, I know...) BF (Fractal -> PS100 -> EVM12L's) which sound great both dimed and in the sweet spot, and superb dimed but rolled back on the guitar vol. This got me wondering.....

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

murky wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:32 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:50 am
This is why I'm curious about well setup/tuned vintage!

The RI BF's I've tried/owned sounded terrible when cranked, and passable but not great in the noon-2 o'clock sweet spot. Went around the block a few times and got to the point where I concluded the BF wasn't for me.....

Now..... find myself d*cking around with some modelled (yeah, I know...) BF (Fractal -> PS100 -> EVM12L's) which sound great both dimed and in the sweet spot, and superb dimed but rolled back on the guitar vol. This got me wondering.....
I think it was Pete Thorn who suggested running the bass on 0 and treble somewhere above midday. This is what I do when I have the volume past midday. Breakup is a lot more pleasant this way. But my 2x10 speakers don't love the amp breaking up, so I often end up going into the 2x12 Bandmaster if I'm thrashing the Deluxe Reverb.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Some of the old jansen amps are blackface territory. Could be a cheap option?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Clean. It was too loud at home past about 4. Lovely clean though.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:06 am Some of the old jansen amps are blackface territory. Could be a cheap option?
This.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

there’s a couple Jansens on fb down Wellington way…