Pro Jr. IV vs the older ones

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Speakos
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 18 times

Pro Jr. IV vs the older ones

Post by Speakos »

Hi, has anyone had any experience with the Pro Jr IV? In particular wondering about the volume taper and how nice the cleans are at lower volumes. Historically I've heard they jump from nothing to 'loud' at about 3 o'clock... Cheers!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Re: Pro Jr. IV vs the older ones

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I'm not sure but I believe that the whole Hot Rod line had the new, gentle volume taper installed.

The old ones do indeed have a very touchy volume at the bottom quarter of the dial, and once you hit 4 or so, it doesn't get louder, just dirtier.

In regards to the cleans - they certainly are not pristine, warm cleans with deep piano bass and shimmering highs. That is Deluxe/Super Reverb/Twin stuff. The PJ is very mid forward and has a certain amount of shoutiness. (that amount is LOTS)

Personally I find that the best way to run a PJ is just not to bother with clean. I run mine lightly overdriven the whole time and back off the volume and use pick attack to clean things up, but it's miles from actual clean. Great little amps, mine was one of the early ones, but after it blew up I made a new hardwired circuitboard, great caps and resistors, Hammond Transformers and a couple of very minor mods and you'd have to take it from my cold, dead hands now.

Speakos
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Pro Jr. IV vs the older ones

Post by Speakos »

Great insight, cheers. Yeah, I do like the way the Pro Jr. breaks up but I think I may be leaning towards those Silverface cleans.