Guitar Vs Tweeter

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by thehenderson »

My amp is really trebly.. I guess guitars are mid-rangey instrument by nature?

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

guitars are actually dull by nature. Try plugging an electric directly to a mixing desk and you'll see that. Partly its an impedance thing, and partly the natural response of coils and magnets...
So, guitar amps have a built in upper mid/ treble boost to add colour.
If you want to continue going through a keyboard amp (???) then buy a Pod or something...better yet, buy a guitar amp!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

what lawrence said, keyboard amps are ok for bass I guess but not guitar!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Crazy Horse
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Crazy Horse »

Guitar speakers actually use a really limited frequency range, as that is the way it was way bck when, and thus that is the way it is now. Like most things guitar related (tube powered amps, design of guitar pickup circuits etc), it's a case of it ain't broke so don't fix it.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

If you are playing fully clean you could use tweeters/horns, but as soon as you use any overdrive/distortion you will get a lot of harsh top end.

A guitar speaker has a bit of a boost around 3k, but then has a very sharp rolloff after that so theres high mid clarity to cut through but not much above that because it would get buzzy and harsh.

Lots of bass cabs use horns, and lots of bass players use their horn when using overdrive and it sounds terrible. Then they DI straight out of the overdrive too (remember the PA cab has horns too). Of course, no bass players I tell this to seem to understand.......

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

I had a guitar-vs-tweeter once. The tweeter lost. Headphone-out connection of some horrible practice amp into a home stereo at full volume. Before long there was a funny smell.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

I use a keyboard for piezo only signal, this gives a full sound closer to an acoustic tone...although not acoustic of course. This combined with a real guitar amp gives a full sound and enables a range of blends of both amps. I have tried the guitar striaght in the keyboard amp with various pedals and the sound is too harsh for me, i.e. trebles for Africa. Some eqing can reduce this, but you are fighting against the system as it wants to produce all frequencies. Where as a guitar amp speaker naturally rolls the tops and both end off in a more narrow defined way. Hence the sound we all all strive to get form our precious amps.
Having said that a git sim sounds best through a full range amp, i.e. keyboard amp as opposed to a guitar amp as the sim is already emulating the preamp and speaker....well at least in the tests I have been able to do using my Yamaha DG Stomp sim and the Amplitube program VST program. Another option I have thought of is to switch your tweeter off(some KB amps have this capability) when you think you don't it.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Since a keyboard amp has to handle a wider range of frequencies than either bass or guitar amps do, I would have thought that Frey's reasoning was sound. Somewhere in there, he should surely be able to manipulate his EQ to boost guitar frequencies???
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

stark
Squier

Post by stark »

Rog wrote:Since a keyboard amp has to handle a wider range of frequencies than either bass or guitar amps do, I would have thought that Frey's reasoning was sound. Somewhere in there, he should surely be able to manipulate his EQ to boost guitar frequencies???
Maybe the spkr isn't working hard enough to sound any good. :? I haven't had much success getting fullrange spkrs to sound good with guitar without using a processor that delivers the type of signal that a hifi or PA is expcecting.

Guitar amps and speakers are designed expressly for... guitars! :)
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM