amp speaker outputs to active pa?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Wharfedale EVP

Post by IkeKrull »

I have an EVP-15 - and I have no complaints about the sound quality. I mostly i use it as a bass amp and my friend runs his electronic drums through it. Have also used it for guitar, vocals, synths and playing CDs/Mp3s. 'Sound Quality' probably isnt going to be too much of an issue, but it just doesn't go that loud - 200W (and it sounds more like 100W RMS) - only gets you so far when you're pumping bass out of a 15" driver. Actually i think the speaker just isn't all that efficient. The cabinets are solid, and the mini 2-ch mixer on the back is bloody handy.

However it's not as robust as it could be - It doesnt have a very hard life, as i dont gig with it, or carry it round much, but one of the screws in the handle has pulled out of the wood, just from carrying it between home and my friends houses.

I think there are better speakers for PA use out there, but no complaints whatsoever for the price I paid. I would definitely say if you need high volume - e.g. you want to compete volume-wise with biggish guitar amps, look elsewhere. - You'll probably be looking at a substantial investment in rack amps and passive speakers if you need to do that.

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton

Post by naphazoline »

Orbazm wrote:Yo Naph...im not 100% sure but if u run a Direct injection box first...would that not make a difference? I think thats kinda what they're for. I use one when recording instruments and not running thru an amp because i was told it's safer if you're not sure what ur stuff can handle...tho I admit I'm not that clued up on DI boxes myself. If any one knows more i'd be glad to know too.
I have one if u wanna try it.
hey bro. i've got the mi4 interface,would that not act the same as di box?

naphazoline
Ashton
Ashton

Re: Wharfedale EVP

Post by naphazoline »

IkeKrull wrote:I have an EVP-15 - and I have no complaints about the sound quality. I mostly i use it as a bass amp and my friend runs his electronic drums through it. Have also used it for guitar, vocals, synths and playing CDs/Mp3s. 'Sound Quality' probably isnt going to be too much of an issue, but it just doesn't go that loud - 200W (and it sounds more like 100W RMS) - only gets you so far when you're pumping bass out of a 15" driver. Actually i think the speaker just isn't all that efficient. The cabinets are solid, and the mini 2-ch mixer on the back is bloody handy.

However it's not as robust as it could be - It doesnt have a very hard life, as i dont gig with it, or carry it round much, but one of the screws in the handle has pulled out of the wood, just from carrying it between home and my friends houses.

I think there are better speakers for PA use out there, but no complaints whatsoever for the price I paid. I would definitely say if you need high volume - e.g. you want to compete volume-wise with biggish guitar amps, look elsewhere. - You'll probably be looking at a substantial investment in rack amps and passive speakers if you need to do that.
i would only be running my gat and maybe some vocals (obviously not mine, if you have heard my singing :lol: ) through it. and more then likely at separate times,so i wouldn't be competing with anything.i also wouldn't be moving them around very much at all, seeing as i only play by myself.

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Well then

Post by IkeKrull »

Yep, i'd say the EVPs are all you need then - i get by just fine with a single one, its more than loud enough for my purposes. having 2 of the 12" ones would be really good for vocals and guitar, and 2 of them would give you better spread and lots of flexibilty.

I'm not aware of better bang for buck and as I say, the EVPs really do sound great, even if they aren't capable of mind-bending volumes.

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Also..

Post by IkeKrull »

as for DI etc - a DI box brings an instrument level signal down to mic level and impedance for patching into a mixer. The definition of a DI box is kind of blurred now with modellers and amp simulators which generally produce line level signals referred to as 'DI' devices as well.

http://www.crownaudio.com/kb/entry/304/

thats a good explanation of line vs instrument vs mic levels.

My friends are too cheap to actually have any decent gear so my PA cab comes in real handy.

I run line level out of my mixer into the PA cab, and connect everything up to the mixer - everything except the microphone is line level, as the bass is run through a modelling pedal's line out, and my synths and the laptop all do line level. I play my guitar through a separate amp, though my distortion pedal has a line out for amp/cab modelling so i could run everything through the mixer if I wanted.

Makes for a pretty compact rig, though directionality and separation can be a problem when everyones sound is coming from the same place. having 2 speakers would help with this greatly I imagine.

I have also jacked the bass straight into the PA cab's input - no DI or anything, and it coped just fine with that. having the mixer on the back means it will take a mic and a line-level device directly with no external mixer needed. this makes things even more compact.