Taming the wall of sound

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Re: Taming the wall of sound

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Cheers Cdog for the response and suggestions. Thanks alot... I'm starting to get my head around this stuff. I do have one decent yet cheap "Ashton" (Weirs brand) regulated 9v AC adapter (500Ma) and maybe just maybe I should try running all my pedals off just that one, instead of running half on it and the other half on some dodgy 3-pronged ground loop adapter (probably not intended for pedals like the Ashton one is).

My dilema is that the Ashton adapter is only 500Ma... most stuff on my board is low power usage stuff like overdrives such as the Bad Monkey, Big Muff and Jackhammer which only suck 10-15Ma, but I do have a digital delay (Digitech... eyeing up a DD-20 eventually) and *gulp* a Line6 Verbzilla. The instruction manuals on the Digidelay and Verbzilla don't state what the MA usages are, and I can't find any website/database that lists approximate milliamp usage on guitar pedals under normal use (someone should make one!). I fear that the Digidelay and Verbzilla together suck more than 500Ma so I need to use 2 adapters or, as you say, go for an Artec/Dunlop Brick (ouch...), Godlyke (price reasonable but lots of polar opinions on it), or Voodoo Lab Pedal Power (extremely ouch... but might be able to con the wifey into me getting one for combined Xmas/brithday hehe).

I'm thinking the Godlyke system will suffice for now.. isn't it 1500Ma? More than enough for my needs i'm sure. Thoughts?

I'm so stupid, maybe I should just try and chain all my pedals from the one Ashton 500Ma adapter and see how that goes?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Ha I bought my peavey and strat from weirs whe I lived in the 'tron about 12 years ago... they've gone 'music works' now haven't they? Dude your guess is as good as mine, definately try running the ashton solo, but there can be a million reasons why you have hum, multiple earth pins in one rig is a reason, but there are others... I reckon go full nana and get the uber voodoo power supply, (you'll have it for life) and tell the missus there's no point having great pedals and amps if you can't run it on clean power. Your rig is only as strong as the weakest link man... find it on ebay? Hehe sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear! Good luck :D

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

find a mate (not the dodgy one that said to cut off the earth pin) who knows a lil about electronics. get an old laptop power supply (they have shielded power cable and hum cancellation up the wazoo inside them, what with all the inductors and crap) and stick a $1.50 9v voltage regulator (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... View/Z6550) at the end of it. total cost: laptop power supply - free (find one at a company with lotsa computers - a laptop will have died leaving an orphan power supply), 9v regulator $1.50, mate's time to solder it in 6-pack of beer.
worth trying to see if it solves the issue.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

MogwaiBoy wrote:Cheers Cdog for the response and suggestions. Thanks alot... I'm starting to get my head around this stuff. I do have one decent yet cheap "Ashton" (Weirs brand) regulated 9v AC adapter (500Ma) and maybe just maybe I should try running all my pedals off just that one, instead of running half on it and the other half on some dodgy 3-pronged ground loop adapter (probably not intended for pedals like the Ashton one is).

My dilema is that the Ashton adapter is only 500Ma... most stuff on my board is low power usage stuff like overdrives such as the Bad Monkey, Big Muff and Jackhammer which only suck 10-15Ma, but I do have a digital delay (Digitech... eyeing up a DD-20 eventually) and *gulp* a Line6 Verbzilla. The instruction manuals on the Digidelay and Verbzilla don't state what the MA usages are, and I can't find any website/database that lists approximate milliamp usage on guitar pedals under normal use (someone should make one!). I fear that the Digidelay and Verbzilla together suck more than 500Ma so I need to use 2 adapters or, as you say, go for an Artec/Dunlop Brick (ouch...), Godlyke (price reasonable but lots of polar opinions on it), or Voodoo Lab Pedal Power (extremely ouch... but might be able to con the wifey into me getting one for combined Xmas/brithday hehe).

I'm thinking the Godlyke system will suffice for now.. isn't it 1500Ma? More than enough for my needs i'm sure. Thoughts?

I'm so stupid, maybe I should just try and chain all my pedals from the one Ashton 500Ma adapter and see how that goes?
I'm currently running five pedals off a 300ma supply with no problems or noise, including a delay that drinks 200ma alone. Try the Ashton for a little while and see how it goes, then upgrade to a Godlyke if it sounds like toss.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGi ... inger.html
Just saw this... it would be better than the behringer which does suck tone

denden
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 1 time

Post by denden »

Electro harmonix hum debugger?

DrMarv
Stagg
Stagg

Post by DrMarv »

Did you have any luck with this issue?

I seem to be posting on a resurrected thread here, but...

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you'd be getting an earth loop if you're running everything from the same power socket... ie the same earth. I was under the impression earth loops occur when there are two devices connected in the audio realm but not connected (not earthed together) in the power realm.

Have you tried using a different AB box? That'd be my first port of call in the trouble shooting. Do you get the hum by just plugging into each amp individually, with everything plugged into the wall etc? (ie just your normal set up without the AB box).

Is the AB box passive or active? Do you run it from an adapter or batteries (if it's just there to power the LED then try running the box without power). You might be getting power going onto your audio signal somewhere in your chain.

Just some suggestions.

Cheers
Guitar > Pedals > Amp