Fender Pro jnr with NOS valves

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TBB Flamey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Fender Pro jnr with NOS valves

Post by TBB Flamey »

Got an offer on trademe for it for $650. Just wondering if that's a good price? I've heard it's a nice amp I just don't know what they're worth. I just want a simple amp that I can crank and make noise with, and this looks the biz

Chur :D
Live love leave eat sandwiches

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Fender Pro jnr with NOS valves

Post by k1w1 »

I have had one as my main playing amp for 2 years. Swapped the original speaker for a Weber alnico, and JJ tubes. very rich tweedish sound now, can get a little boxy at high volume, but the volume knob acts more like a gain knob, starts to break up around 4 and from about 6-7 the volume doesn't change just the amount of gain.

I have it for home playing but beware these are LOUD for 15 watts, takes pedals well, love the little thing, tone plus. I got mine retail for $820, and a friend got one a few months ago off tardme for $500, $650 hmmmm, not so great a deal

And for what you want, there are only tone and volume and cranked these make a lot of great sounding noise if you like the "Fender" sound.

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

Sounds awesome so far. Yeah I might have to give this one a miss anyway, unless he relists.

But yeah I'm looking for a bluesy, funky, straight forward rocking amp. Starting to create a little recording setup too so the lower wattage will be good for that. I'll be playing it with my newly purchased Realtone strat :D

Reckon you could have band practices with it? The guy reckons Dave Dobbyn doesn't even mic his two up at gigs so they must be pretty loud..

Might get a 2x12 for it later for more air pushing power

thanks for the replies

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Certainly loud enough, depends on the drummer, haven't played with a drummer for many years but these are loud. Certainly a good straight blues/rock amp, that if you need different sounds takes pedals well.

For recording depends on the amp, they have a reputation for hiss/noise, mine did slightly but swapping out the Fender absolute crap re-badged tubes for JJ's cured that. But beware, I thought this would be a good home amp, but feck to get good break up it is too loud for my situation so got a Bad Monkey to tickle it at lower volumes.

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

Yeah I'm planning on getting a cusack screamer to throw in front of it for recording and as a boost when I do get to crank it decently.

How much would it cost to get a decent set of tubes installed?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

I could supply you with a full-retube kit (2x JJ ECC83S, 2x JJ EL84) for $96.00 :)

The bias is fixed non-adjustable, so there's no installation charges necessary - I'll just ensure to supply you with a set that'll bias within the correct range.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:I could supply you with a full-retube kit (2x JJ ECC83S, 2x JJ EL84) for $96.00 :)

The bias is fixed non-adjustable, so there's no installation charges necessary - I'll just ensure to supply you with a set that'll bias within the correct range.

Ok cool as. I'll definitely keep that in mind

Just got to give my piggy bank a few more weeks to fatten itself up. Maybe by then it'll relist at a lower price, fingers crossed lol

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Yup, I got mine from Rob and it came out about that, so go with Ryan if you can, that and the speaker swap made a huge difference in the sound

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Yup, I got mine from Rob and it came out about that, so go with Ryan if you can, that and the speaker swap made a huge difference in the sound. Rob matched them and they are a straight swap.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Have a look here, there is a lot of info about these amps

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?d ... offset=865