5150 Bias mod.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

5150 Bias mod.

Post by robnobcorncob »

Anyone done it? or done the bias mod to another amp?

blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/modnote ... as_mod.pdf

It more or less inserts a 10k pot and 6.8k resistor in place of a 15k resistor which adjusts the bias of the 4x6L6GC Power tubes. 5150s are biased very cold from the factory (some as cold as 12ma...) and this turns it into quite the beast...

thoughts and opinions? Obviously I'm not going to attempt to do the mod myself.

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Re: 5150 Bias mod.

Post by ant »

If your 6l6s are actually at 12ma than for sure it will help, you can order high current 6l6's.

If you can hear a kind of insect like buzz on the bass notes which dies usually quite quickly.
Set the amp cleanish with the poweramp volume maxed so you are just getting it to clip.
With a bit of dirt usually you hear it the initial attack - in the first second, that means you have crossover distortion from biasing to cold.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

ant wrote:If your 6l6s are actually at 12ma than for sure it will help, you can order high current 6l6's.

If you can hear a kind of insect like buzz on the bass notes which dies usually quite quickly.
Set the amp cleanish with the poweramp volume maxed so you are just getting it to clip.
With a bit of dirt usually you hear it the initial attack - in the first second, that means you have crossover distortion from biasing to cold.
The distortion from a too cold fixed bias is a problem on the majority of 5150s. Since posting this thread i've read on the net that one user had 'About 5ma' on the power tubes :shock: I'm not sure what the reading on mine are however.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Well I had a look inside to get a look at what needs to be done (and yes I turned it off before doing so) and the PCB reads November of 1995. Original tubes are still in there :? (I thought it was from 2003) so it's definitely time for a retube! gonna get the bias mod done at the same time.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I thought you sold your 5150??
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Please make sure you discharge the power supply electrolytic capacitors fully before commencing work on the inside of the amp to avoid death or simply large shock :roll:

Most amps have a bleed resistor (not sure on 5150) to make them safe but it pays to check to voltage on the plates before commencing and discharge if they are held high by the caps.

Rob

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Cheers for that Rob. The 5150 has bleed resistors but it never pays to be too safe.

Ed: Not quite. Not yet anyway.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote:Please make sure you discharge the power supply electrolytic capacitors fully before commencing work on the inside of the amp to avoid death or simply large shock :roll:

Most amps have a bleed resistor (not sure on 5150) to make them safe but it pays to check to voltage on the plates before commencing and discharge if they are held high by the caps.

Rob
The 5150 will kill you if you don't kill it first .. I personally have killed 2 so far.. they just don't seem to like me 8)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

crushing day wrote:
RobRoyMcCoy wrote:Please make sure you discharge the power supply electrolytic capacitors fully before commencing work on the inside of the amp to avoid death or simply large shock :roll:

Rob
The 5150 will kill you if you don't kill it first .. I personally have killed 2 so far.. they just don't seem to like me 8)
What were you doing to them CD? I bet the screen grid resistors failed, a common 5150 problem

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

They just dont like me .. The combo i had back in '95 lasted 10 days i think ... blew fuses then cooked itself. The head that i was supposed to use at a festival in Feb lasted for soundcheck, and then shat itself 2 mins before taking the stage .... i now dread powering a 5150 up, and watching all those little lights go out :lol:
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

crushing day wrote:They just dont like me .. The combo i had back in '95 lasted 10 days i think ... blew fuses then cooked itself. The head that i was supposed to use at a festival in Feb lasted for soundcheck, and then shat itself 2 mins before taking the stage .... i now dread powering a 5150 up, and watching all those little lights go out :lol:
Ouch :cry: mines lasted fine for 13 years so far, here's hoping to another trouble free 13..