Buying a cheap amp

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Willias
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Buying a cheap amp

Post by Willias »

Hey guys, met with this forum about 5 mins ago so sorry if i break any conventions :P

I recently acquired a Epiphone Gothic Les Paul Studio and am now looking for an amp to match, currently i am renting a Fender Frontman 15G which originally i was thinking of buying but i heard they deteriorate rapidly and in general aren't very good amps.

So after talking to some people from the Rockshop and Musicworks and alot of net browsing i have narrowed it to 2 amps, as far as i know.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/ ... index.html

And

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/ ... index.html

I'm very open to ideas though as my knowledge of amps is scratchy at best.
I'm looking to spend little more (+$20-$30) than $200 and am opposed to getting my amp of trade.

Your help is greatly welcomed

Thanks in advance
Willias

PS. I was hoping to go in and try/buy one of these amps tomorrow or saturday.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Buying a cheap amp

Post by Rog »

FWIW, I've had a 15G for about 15 years and use it for all sorts of things. Its never skipped a beat and I think whoever told you they'd crap out early is talking through a hole in his arse... They are a little 15W solidstate amp and no better or worse than all the other little solidstate 8" speaker practice amps, IMO. That said, they are only a practice amp and I'd never think of them as anything else.....

If you want more power and cheap and since you seem to like solidstate, I'd suggest you get over your aversion to trademe and you'll be able to buy a 60-100W SS 1 x 12 amp for around your price. That would sound so much better than any of the others you're looking at.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Willias
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Willias »

While i see where you are coming from the Epiphone seems very small and unajustable, but maybe thats just also as i said i would prefer something over the counter, as far as something from a bricks-and-mortar goes what would you recommend?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

OTOH - something liike this would sound much better than what you are using:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 590043.htm
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Willias
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Willias »

I can see that this is a high quality amp but i like to think i will be playing something that requires disort so want an amp with a built in distortion preferably.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Welcome to our forum, BTW. Good to have you on board.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

When I started hanging round here, I had the same idea about not getting 2nd hand gear... the guys here eventually convinced me to get over it, and I couldn't be happier..
in fairness I was aiming at a higher price bracket (was looking for a valve head), but the theory still stands. get a 2nd hand unit. try it out first.
if you want distortion, you sure can get an amp with it included, but it may not be long before you find it really sounds like @rse, and will buy (or if you get the bug, make) a pedal anyway.
get a higher wattage (IMO solid state, cos I still think they need less looking after than valve - for a first amp at least) 2nd hand amp, and a pedal (or 12 :wink: ).
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

grahic
Stagg
Stagg

Post by grahic »

Hey mate, i have a Summco Integrated Amplifier AK-10 for sale. It has an input, Clean/Overdrive( DIST)/Volume, Treble,Bass,Phone input.

Very nice amp, only 6months old.

Hows $50 sound?

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

For $200-$230-ish mark. I'd look at the Marshall MG15s and those range. Or a peavey of similar style. Best try and get something with at least an 10" speaker...Theres not much on Trademe atm...but sometimes some decent amp come up at that price range. Apparently the Roland Cubes are real good practice amps...I wouldnt know. Pushing the envelope...you could get a Epiphone Valve Junior... or something like this could do

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 864806.htm

Either way, you have made the right choice to come ask us first though :)

Get something decent that will make you want to plug in. I couldnt be stuffed playing plugged in with my first amp and my playing suffered badly from that.....

Well....that's my excuse for being a sloppy player :wink:
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

Willias
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Willias »

Atm i am seriously leaning toward the Roland Mini-cube, tis a bit above my budget but it seems so good i might make the sqeeze :P

What do you guys think of this amp?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

never heard it myself, but it gets good reviews from owners on this site.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

Willias wrote:Atm i am seriously leaning toward the Roland Mini-cube, tis a bit above my budget but it seems so good i might make the sqeeze :P

I think slash-ed is/was selling one...hit him up about it
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Willias wrote:Atm i am seriously leaning toward the Roland Mini-cube, tis a bit above my budget but it seems so good i might make the sqeeze :P

I've got the Micro cube. Great little amp.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

DaNextSlash wrote:or something like this could do

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 864806.htm
Those Envoy 110's are actually not too bad an amp, I had one as a practice amp a few years ago, 10inch speaker too.

I was playing a guitar at a friends place a while back through a small Fender Practice amp, with an 8inch speaker, and it really was awful!
I still feel that 8" is too small for a guitar speaker, especially for distortion, they will just sound buzzy.
Ummm....

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I have one... it's great for practice, and getting a good variety of sounds in a small amp. I've used it for home recordings and it fares decently. I've also put it through a PA for practice with a full band once or twice... :shock: :D Not the best, but not the worst either in that situation.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world