What puts you off about AMPS??

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What puts you off about AMPS??

Post by Jenesis »

Weren't you (regretfully) selling the Carr?

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I figured a way to keep it! I love that amp :)

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

thehenderson wrote:I figured a way to keep it!

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Serial FX Loops.(5150)

Volume drops between channels with no way of remedying the problem (Mesa, now fixed with the R2 mod)

Having boosts or gain boosters on certain channels, or tube FX (tremolo/Reverb) that aren't switchable. (Mesa Tremoverb, it's 'assignable' but not switchable seperately IIRC.)

FX Loops that get overdriven by time-based/modulation pedals (grrr) (Mesa Mark III)

heads that are BIG when there's plenty of room inside the chassis, why not save space and weight? (5150)
Stock factory cold bias (5150 again)
Unusable stock clean channel (5150)

I could go on, but basically friends don't let friends use a 5150 (for anything other than uber-high gain crap riffs in Drop-B tuning with no FX and no clean parts) You have been warned!

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Amps that sound good at bedroom levels, and get harsh and shitty when cranked.

Anything solid-state.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Vorbis wrote:Amps that sound good at bedroom levels, and get harsh and shitty when cranked.

Anything solid-state.
One and the same eh?

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

robnobcorncob wrote:
Vorbis wrote:Amps that sound good at bedroom levels, and get harsh and shitty when cranked.

Anything solid-state.
One and the same eh?
That sums up the Carvin Legacy (well the od channel anyway).
Sounded great at home, but at band level all the top end went away, so you had to crank the treble, which made it it buzzy.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I've had some tube amps that turned to shit when cranked up.
Jcm900, nails the 'walk this way' guitar riff tone but thats about it.
Mesa F50, the worlds worst sounding drive channel but a clean channel that's gorgeous.
Vox ac30cc2, good cleans but terrible overdrive. Loves a hotcake 'tho.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I like amps that are simple and well built by designers with great ears and experience. Beyond sound, I like to see quality componentry (kind of necessary for the former) and roadworthy construction.

Sadly, since the 80s mass production has eroded the quality of the amp affordable to the average player. I don't rate the chances of many mass produced amps currently being bought in large numbers lasting 20 years or more. There are exceptions: Rivera and Mesa know how to roll a roadworthy amp off a production line. But if you're a heavy user, be prepared to eventually junk or completely gut and overhaul that Crate, Deville or TSL...

I'm not a fan of the following:

-too many knobs and channels. I can count the channel-switching amps that I think can do more than one tone really well on one hand. There are exceptions, of course: The Bogner XTC has a lot of knobs, but they sound like they are the right ones...
-the midrange congestion I hear in most mid-price amps. Much of this can be attributed to the above issue and accountants having a say on transformer selection.
-Most silverface and red knob fenders. Why did NZ get a pile of SF twins and no deluxe or Vibrolux reverbs?
-Hartley Peavey's approach to amp layout. As a longtime amp designer, he should know better than produce amps that suck hours of tech-time just to take apart. Riveted multi-layer PCBs?
-Speaker selection dictated by bulk-buying rather than designers' ears.
-Brands that make amps to a mid quality level and sell them at semi-boutique prices. Naughty.
-Brands that market themselves as boutique and skimp on cab construction, OT selection and parts. It takes more than a nice looking tag board, guys...
-H&K. For making really average sounding amps with that wonderful silver-blue look that makes sure you can't tell what the hell your settings are on a dark stage.
-Most modern cost-cutting procedures: pcb-mounted pots and tubes especially. That's asking for trouble.
-Most modern homebrew cost-cutting procedures. If you want it to sound good, use the good stuff.
-AC30 reliability. Shame, cos I love the sound.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Hot_Grits wrote:-too many knobs and channels. I can count the channel-switching amps that I think can do more than one tone really well on one hand. .
this is the real point....its not about the number of knobs , or the number of features....its how good they sound.

if we (the guitarists) cant work out how to run something as simple as a guitar amp (even if it has 20 knobs ) then we should run away and toff ourselves....

the issue is, do the 20 knobs actually sound good....typically they dont!

My pet hate is actually "One trick Ponies"....there are very few guitarists out there who can keep my interest with the same sound all night....of course Roy Buchanan got a million sounds out of a tele plugged stright into a twin :wink:
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

denden
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 1 time

Post by denden »

transistors.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Lawrence wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:-too many knobs and channels. I can count the channel-switching amps that I think can do more than one tone really well on one hand. .
this is the real point....its not about the number of knobs , or the number of features....its how good they sound.

if we (the guitarists) cant work out how to run something as simple as a guitar amp (even if it has 20 knobs ) then we should run away and toff ourselves....

the issue is, do the 20 knobs actually sound good....typically they dont!

My pet hate is actually "One trick Ponies"....there are very few guitarists out there who can keep my interest with the same sound all night....of course Roy Buchanan got a million sounds out of a tele plugged stright into a twin :wink:
So true. I've seen guys make the most awesome sounds out of JCM800's (6 knobs from memory?) and then heard apalling noise come out of 30+ knob'd amps.

Really, I've found all I need is the EQ trinity, a presence control, gain and master volume 9/10 times for each channel. Anything more just makes it hard to set and forget.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I hate: most amp reverb. Treble/Bass/Mid controls. EL34 tubes. More than two channels. Badly designed output transformers.

I love: great tube tone, a single tone control. GOOD 6L6 tubes.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

The Scarecrow wrote:
Really, I've found all I need is the EQ trinity, a presence control, gain and master volume 9/10 times for each channel. Anything more just makes it hard to set and forget.
You could drop that down to volume and tone and be very pleasantly surprised at the results. If the designer has ears, that's all you need.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?